FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Florida residents seek protection from Hurricane Irma at Marian grotto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:As Hurricane Irma bears down closer to Florida, residents who had not evacuated from Key West gathered to pray at the grotto dedicated to hurricane protection.

The grotto, named Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, on the grounds of the Basilica of St Mary Star of the Sea, has been a source of spiritual refuge against storms since it was dedicated in 1922 for that purpose.

Read the entire article on The Catholic Herald.
I guess I can understand a priest staying, being as he's the caretaker of souls, but anyone else should've left when they had the chance. Nice to know there's a Marian Grotto on Key West, though. I was there a few years back and overall it's a very pagan place.
(09-09-2017, 04:15 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I can understand a priest staying, being as he's the caretaker of souls, but anyone else should've left when they had the chance. Nice to know there's a Marian Grotto on Key West, though. I was there a few years back and overall it's a very pagan place.

Well, the shrine has never been damaged by a hurricane since it was dedicated in 1922.
Sometimes people aren't able to leave. During the evacuation of Hurricane Camille my grandparents were not able leave because he had just had surgery.
I've visited this grotto on many occasions.. it's beautiful, peaceful and prayerful. All of Key West is not Sodom and Gomorrah .. there are actually pious people who live and raise families there. The parish is very traditional for a NO parish, with Eucharistic Adoration and Marian devotions and alot of ministry to the community. You could do a lot worse than StMarys!!