FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cardinal Sarah says we shouldn’t pray with our phones. I’m not so sure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With all due respect to His Most Eminent Lordship, I must respectfully disagree! And my Pastor has no problem with me using my phone as a prayer book. My phone, and my tablets if I'm in WiFi range, contain a Breviary and TLM Missal (Divinum Officium), the traditional prayers before and after Mass from the Roman Breviary (Preces Latinae), a guide to mental prayer (Book I of Fr Lasance's Prayer Book for Religious, which I have labouriously corrected from the Internet Archive if any body wants it!), the Douai-Rheims Bible (drbo.org), the Summa Theologica of the Angelic Doctor, and the writings of the Fathers (New Advent), the Catechism of the Council of Trent, the complete works of St Juan de la Cruz and Sta Teresa de Jesus, and the collected writings of St Louis Marie de Montfort amongst others (all on Kindle).

In other words, I have a complete spiritual library on my electronic devices. I can pray wherever I happen to be. If I need encouragement to mental prayer, Fr Lasance's book is only available online and I can't afford to print out the whole thing, tho' I hope, in the next few months to correct the whole book and publish it on Lulu or Kindle.

Well, that's my rant, and here's the article on The Catholic Herald.
I basically agree with you, but I have some gripes with telephone displays. I am much more of a fan of the easier-on-the-eyes "e-ink" display, but there are few "e-readers" that have adequate RAM to handle large .pdf files, which are typical of this type of literature.
I will gladly hand over my mobile phone, when the Church provides me with the Mass, that doesn't require me to stare at my phone.

This last Sunday, our parish held its notorious Spanish Mass. A NO-Mass crafted for roughly 30 people (if even that), for a parish of almost a thousand families. Naturally, I used the Readings ---where someone was reading in a garbled voice of the typical 'lazy' Mezo-American Spanish dialect--- to look at my phone for the Sunday Readings, and then use the Catena Aurera for saintly quotes on the Gospel passage.

Love Cardinal Sarah, but he should focus on trying to get the priests to just turn around to face God in the Tabernacle.
(09-24-2017, 09:00 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]With all due respect to His Most Eminent Lordship, I must respectfully disagree! And my Pastor has no problem with me using my phone as a prayer book. My phone, and my tablets if I'm in WiFi range, contain a Breviary and TLM Missal (Divinum Officium), the traditional prayers before and after Mass from the Roman Breviary (Preces Latinae), a guide to mental prayer (Book I of Fr Lasance's Prayer Book for Religious, which I have labouriously corrected from the Internet Archive if any body wants it!), the Douai-Rheims Bible (drbo.org), the Summa Theologica of the Angelic Doctor, and the writings of the Fathers (New Advent), the Catechism of the Council of Trent, the complete works of St Juan de la Cruz and Sta Teresa de Jesus, and the collected writings of St Louis Marie de Montfort amongst others (all on Kindle).

In other words, I have a complete spiritual library on my electronic devices. I can pray wherever I happen to be. If I need encouragement to mental prayer, Fr Lasance's book is only available online and I can't afford to print out the whole thing, tho' I hope, in the next few months to correct the whole book and publish it on Lulu or Kindle.

Well, that's my rant, and here's the article on The Catholic Herald.

I certainly agree with you. I mean whenever I can get a book instead of using the internet I do, but I do use the internet for stuff often.
(09-25-2017, 02:21 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: [ -> ]I certainly agree with you. I mean whenever I can get a book instead of using the internet I do, but I do use the internet for stuff often.
True. I like books, too, but I have so many already that there is less and less room for them. And, also, my point was that I couldn't possibly carry everything with me. E.g., if I go to Mass on Sunday morning, and want to stay after to make my Thanksgiving and a Holy Hour, am I supposed to carry a Missal, a print out of the Traditional Thanksgiving from the Breviary, since it's not printed in the Breviary I own, a Breviary (I always recite part of my Office during private Adoration), and two or three books of spiritual reading to use as the Lord might lead me to pray. What if I take the 'wrong' book, and I'm led to read St Alphonsus, but I brought St Louis-Marie?
I have a large tote back that I use to carry all my stuff to church.   :D