FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Disgraceful Experience with "priest"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My friend is studying in Ireland right now and sent me this horrifying account of her attempt to attend Daily Mass this morning:

" I went to Mass on campus over the lunch hour, and it was absolutely packed with people because it was some kind of memorial for a guy who had died. The presider was a rather liberal priest, Fr. Ben, and I knew it was going to be bad from the beginning but I didn't realize just HOW bad it would be. First off, he made up the opening prayer rather than reading it from the missal, and then he read a bunch of readings that I guess had been chosen by the family for the occasion because they were not the ones I read that morning, and the Gospel wasn't even from one of the gospels--it was just a collection of verses from Paul's letters. But the worst part was that he literally went straight from the fluffy and ridiculous petitions into the consecration: no Sanctus, no preface prayer, nothing, just all of a sudden "On the night that he was betrayed," etc, and we were all still standing because we were expecting the other five minutes of prayers that he totally skipped. There were a bunch of students from the Catholic society in front of me, and they all agreed that it was not a valid consecration and that they would not receive communion. I figured that it would be okay as long as I received one of the hosts that had been in the tabernacle and might have been consecrated validly at a different Mass.

Anyway, after it was over we were all very upset and decided to talk to him. The students who are the sacristans didn't even put the hosts away because they weren't sure if they were actually Jesus or not. So four of us went up to talk to him, and I can only say it was the most awful experience in a church that I've ever had. He took it quite personally and said he was deeply offended and insulted and that we were undermining his ministry and his confidence, and then he said that we were all being intolerant, but that it was rampant in the world today especially in the United States because of Trump (and I was the only American there so I knew he was talking to me). I asked him if he would please just stick to the words of the Church canon because it made us all very uncomfortable and confused when he didn't, and he just could not handle it. He accused us of nit-picking and of being terrible examples of Catholics, and said that if we were to go into the back room (where they were having a reception for the funeral) and repeat our comments to him the people there would "eat us alive" for being so cruel and insensitive, because everyone loved him. And if we didn't like the way he was doing things, he welcomed us to find another place to pray. Well, I sure as hell am going to take him up on that one. He was especially harsh towards me because I had spoken to him once before, and he hadn't forgotten that and brought it up several times over the maybe 40 minutes that he had us there, chewing us out. I left there and started sobbing in the chapel, not just because he had been so unkind towards me and towards the group, but because I couldn't believe a priest could act like that. And he so firmly believed he was right! It broke my heart. And all those other people that he is deluding too."

I am not sure if anything can be done about this or if this "priest" can be somehow reported and defrocked (or at least reprimanded) but this is a truly horrific example of how Pope Francis has destroyed the Church from the inside out, especially in a country like Ireland that is supposed to be so Catholic. There is surely a special place in hell (or else a near-eternity in purgatory) for "priests" like this. It is a tragedy indeed when a young girl and her friends know more about the faith than a so-called priest who claims to serve the faith.
Whilst I understand and sympathise with your anger, if the man is a priest in good standing with his Ordinary, he is a 'Priest forever after the Order of Melchizedek'. The inverted commas make it look like you doubt his priesthood. Huh? Even if he is not in good standing, but was validly ordained, he is a priest.
(09-28-2017, 04:03 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]My friend is studying in Ireland right now and sent me this horrifying account of her attempt to attend Daily Mass this morning:

" I went to Mass on campus over the lunch hour, and it was absolutely packed with people because it was some kind of memorial for a guy who had died. The presider was a rather liberal priest, Fr. Ben, and I knew it was going to be bad from the beginning but I didn't realize just HOW bad it would be. First off, he made up the opening prayer rather than reading it from the missal, and then he read a bunch of readings that I guess had been chosen by the family for the occasion because they were not the ones I read that morning, and the Gospel wasn't even from one of the gospels--it was just a collection of verses from Paul's letters. But the worst part was that he literally went straight from the fluffy and ridiculous petitions into the consecration: no Sanctus, no preface prayer, nothing, just all of a sudden "On the night that he was betrayed," etc, and we were all still standing because we were expecting the other five minutes of prayers that he totally skipped. There were a bunch of students from the Catholic society in front of me, and they all agreed that it was not a valid consecration and that they would not receive communion. I figured that it would be okay as long as I received one of the hosts that had been in the tabernacle and might have been consecrated validly at a different Mass.

Anyway, after it was over we were all very upset and decided to talk to him. The students who are the sacristans didn't even put the hosts away because they weren't sure if they were actually Jesus or not. So four of us went up to talk to him, and I can only say it was the most awful experience in a church that I've ever had. He took it quite personally and said he was deeply offended and insulted and that we were undermining his ministry and his confidence, and then he said that we were all being intolerant, but that it was rampant in the world today especially in the United States because of Trump (and I was the only American there so I knew he was talking to me). I asked him if he would please just stick to the words of the Church canon because it made us all very uncomfortable and confused when he didn't, and he just could not handle it. He accused us of nit-picking and of being terrible examples of Catholics, and said that if we were to go into the back room (where they were having a reception for the funeral) and repeat our comments to him the people there would "eat us alive" for being so cruel and insensitive, because everyone loved him. And if we didn't like the way he was doing things, he welcomed us to find another place to pray. Well, I sure as hell am going to take him up on that one. He was especially harsh towards me because I had spoken to him once before, and he hadn't forgotten that and brought it up several times over the maybe 40 minutes that he had us there, chewing us out. I left there and started sobbing in the chapel, not just because he had been so unkind towards me and towards the group, but because I couldn't believe a priest could act like that. And he so firmly believed he was right! It broke my heart. And all those other people that he is deluding too."

I am not sure if anything can be done about this or if this "priest" can be somehow reported and defrocked (or at least reprimanded) but this is a truly horrific example of how Pope Francis has destroyed the Church from the inside out, especially in a country like Ireland that is supposed to be so Catholic. There is surely a special place in hell (or else a near-eternity in purgatory) for "priests" like this. It is a tragedy indeed when a young girl and her friends know more about the faith than a so-called priest who claims to serve the faith.

I probably would have told him to go there.
I think that the best thing to do is to advise your friend to write the bishop about her concerns.  There is nothing else that is either respectful or appropriate given the circumstances.  She might want to encourage the other students to do the same.
I believe I've been to that chapel, if it's the university I'm thinking of. I never had an experience like that there though. I did have some experiences in the US at my Jesuit college, none quite that bad but equally condescending. 

Is the consecration invalid? It was my understanding that the consecration is valid if the words are said correctly, though it's illicit to do it outside the proper context.  Irish priests are famous for saying Mass quickly, but this obviously goes too far.

I think it's unfair to blame Pope Francis. I'm certainly not a huge fan of his, but messing with the Mass and humiliating students is fully on "Fr. Ben."  Pope Francis didn't make him do it anymore than Donald Trump made your friend be "intolerant."

Ireland is very important to me, spiritually. A visit to Knock persuaded me to become Catholic. I would advise your friend that, while Ireland is certainly no Catholic utopia these days, there's still a lot of good in it. 

Visit Knock (mostly just to pray...the masses there are not generally all that great), tour Clonmacnoise, climb Croagh Patrick and do the devotions, visit the little chapels and holy wells associated with various saints. Try to find a decent Mass to attend (when I lived in Galway I would go to the cathedral).  There are even some traditional Masses around. I sought out good Catholic things, and found them.
First thing, he's a validly ordained priest unless there is sufficient evidence to prove otherwise; so you should be respectful to the office of the priesthood and not use quotes. Heretic or not, he's still a priest.

Second, your friend and her friends need to take that anger and hurt and they need pray for him. If your friends weren't happy with his sacrilegious, effeminate attitude, imagine how the Lord will feel when he is judged. Your friends friends need to pray for his reversion to the Faith.

Thirdly, they must take it up with the bishop and the diocese. They took their issue with him in private, with multiple people. He remains hardened in his sacrilege and possibly heresy. It's time to take it to the bishop. If the bishop fails, take it to the archdiocese. If the archbishop fails, take it to Rome. And if that fails, just know that death is around the corner for these men and they will be judged ultimately.

Tell your friend that I'm sorry she had to suffer that travesty.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk