FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The New Catholic Answers Forums - Freedom of Speech for Trads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I don't know if anyone here is aware (or cares), but the Catholic Answers forums have been completely revamped and so far traditionalists have been allowed to post without fear of censure, ban, or moderation.  I don't want to steer traffic away from FE, but I know many of you who post here are intelligent, articulate, and cool-headed when speaking about issues important to traditional Catholics.  That said, I think that you could do a great service to the Church by making your voices heard on CAF.  They have such a large reading audience, and many posters who come inquiring about tradition are often discouraged from it by a handful of modernist or neo-con leaning posters who seem to patrol the Traditional Catholic sub-forum.  Please consider making your voice heard on CAF!  God bless you all!
While that sounds great on the surface for me personally I was banned fromCAF yet they still had the temerity to ask me to contribute to their funding drive after the fact. Good luck and may God bless them, I will not be visiting CAF.
On one hand, this is a good thing. Being open to tradition is always good. Even if the motivation is questionable, motives can be purified. On the other hand, I suspect this is only happening because they are opportunists. They sense that Francis’ progressive agenda is going to collapse, and they want to make sure they are rooting for the winning side so as not to become a pariah. They pretended to be conservative and traditional years ago. In my experience, they were the dumpster of “conservative” Catholicism and of traditionalism-lite. They had an odd and extreme fixation on homosexuality (against it) and on the Republican Party (for it). Their motives for that may have begun by well-meaning people, but in general the place got carried away with it. I saw posts saying that simply having homosexual feelings was the one sin the cross didn’t cover. I saw others saying priests who helped undocumented immigrants were “ministers of hell.”  Unpatriotic, yes. Materialistic, probably. Minister of Hell?  That’s getting a bit carried away. The first poster was finally banned after repeatedly trolling for a few years. The other only posted a bit, but his posts stayed up for several years. And then...lo and behold, we got Francis. Suddenly, posters were being given infractions, suspensions, and bannings for things that had been just fine before. Sometimes, those now-taboo subjects were virtual repetitions of what moderators and Catholic Answers Apologists we’re saying. Worst of all, they have Mark Shea on staff. If that isn’t an indication of how awful they are, I don’t know what is.

I don’t have much tolerance for people who treat the Faith like it’s simply a political game.
I wouldn't waste my time. There seems to be a small gang of lon-term trolls there who hop on every trad's thread, harassing, bullying and provoking them until they either remove their post or it gets removed by the admins due to the conflict the trolls generate
I personally think the look of their new forum is awful. I can't stand it. While I do love FE, we are kind of a small group, so I have looked around to see if there are other good Catholic forums around... Only /r/catholicism on Reddit seems decent. Unfortunately, Catholic forums aren't exactly popular places in internet land.
(10-04-2017, 05:53 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]On one hand, this is a good thing. Being open to tradition is always good. Even if the motivation is questionable, motives can be purified. On the other hand, I suspect this is only happening because they are opportunists. They sense that Francis’ progressive agenda is going to collapse, and they want to make sure they are rooting for the winning side so as not to become a pariah. They pretended to be conservative and traditional years ago. In my experience, they were the dumpster of “conservative” Catholicism and of traditionalism-lite. They had an odd and extreme fixation on homosexuality (against it) and on the Republican Party (for it). Their motives for that may have begun by well-meaning people, but in general the place got carried away with it. I saw posts saying that simply having homosexual feelings was the one sin the cross didn’t cover. I saw others saying priests who helped undocumented immigrants were “ministers of hell.”  Unpatriotic, yes. Materialistic, probably. Minister of Hell?  That’s getting a bit carried away. The first poster was finally banned after repeatedly trolling for a few years. The other only posted a bit, but his posts stayed up for several years. And then...lo and behold, we got Francis. Suddenly, posters were being given infractions, suspensions, and bannings for things that had been just fine before. Sometimes, those now-taboo subjects were virtual repetitions of what moderators and Catholic Answers Apologists we’re saying. Worst of all, they have Mark Shea on staff. If that isn’t an indication of how awful they are, I don’t know what is.

I don’t have much tolerance for people who treat the Faith like it’s simply a political game.

This.

I am tempted to go over there, but really when their posters take everything post Vatican II as unquestionable, they will always "trump" any traditional apologetics or dogmas with something Francis or JP II said on an airplane.
(10-05-2017, 10:54 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]I am tempted to go over there, but really when their posters take everything post Vatican II as unquestionable, they will always "trump" any traditional apologetics or dogmas with something Francis or JP II said on an airplane.

This is why we need posters over there who can refute such nonsense.
Pretty obvious why this is happening at present. Due to something I'll refer to as the "Francis Effect", alot of Traditional Catholics were banned or just stopped posting on CAF. As they left, I noticed an increase in liberal Catholics. I mean, seriously, if your mods run off all those who dare to criticize James Martin, Cupich, McElroy, etc, what kind of forum will you be left with ? I think because of that, CAF actually had to allow some criticism of the acting Pope, or else face the reality that their base would be turning from Neo-Catholic to Progressive Catholic.
(10-05-2017, 11:32 AM)Eric F Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty obvious why this is happening at present. Due to something I'll refer to as the "Francis Effect",  alot of Traditional Catholics were banned or just stopped posting on CAF. As they left, I noticed an increase in liberal Catholics. I mean, seriously, if your mods run off all those who dare to criticize James Martin, Cupich, McElroy, etc, what kind of forum will you be left with ? I think because of that, CAF actually had to allow some criticism of the acting Pope, or else face the reality that their base would be turning from Neo-Catholic to Progressive Catholic.

Yes, that is the most likely reason.  I am sure the bans will come down heavy again once it gets a little too heavy hitting. 

I hate the fact that inquiring non Catholics get such a Novus Ordo impression of Catholicism.
(10-05-2017, 11:04 AM)Christus_Vincit Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2017, 10:54 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]I am tempted to go over there, but really when their posters take everything post Vatican II as unquestionable, they will always "trump" any traditional apologetics or dogmas with something Francis or JP II said on an airplane.

This is why we need posters over there who can refute such nonsense.

I would, and I did for years, but even a response to infidelity in the Church that was as charitable and measured as possible apparently wasn't good enough for them.  Also, on many occasions, my posts seemed to just disappear, or didn't say completely everything I am certain I wrote.  The excessive censorship got to be more than I could bear, so I left.

Normally, it would be good to go there to refute the neocon and progressive claims on CAF, but since it's CAF I don't think it will help.  The moderators just take things down, or worse, edit your posts to make it look like you said something you didn't say.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5