FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: As a young TradCath, what readings do you suggest for learning church history?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently been exchanging social/entertainment media for reading. Any recommendations on books that cover the history of the Catholic Church? So far its been all Socrates/Plato/Aristotle, but my knowledge of church history - and even of the lesser known canon laws - is lacking.

I would love some input  :D
Here you go! These will keep you busy for awhile.
  • Hughes, Philip (1935-1947), A History of The Church: An Introductory Study, New York: Sheed and Ward (3 volumes) 
    • Volume I: The Church And The World In Which The Church Was Founded
    • Volume II: The Church And The World The Church Created. Augustine To Aquinas
    • Volume III: The Revolt Against The Church. Aquinas To Luther.
    • Hughes did not complete a planned fourth volume before his death.
  • Hughes, Philip (1949), A Popular History of the Catholic Church (20 printings), New York: Macmillan. [An abridgment of his three-volume series, but running up to the mid-twentieth century, and published concurrently.
(10-26-2017, 07:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go! These will keep you busy for awhile.
  • Hughes, Philip (1935-1947), A History of The Church: An Introductory Study, New York: Sheed and Ward (3 volumes) 
    • Volume I: The Church And The World In Which The Church Was Founded
    • Volume II: The Church And The World The Church Created. Augustine To Aquinas
    • Volume III: The Revolt Against The Church. Aquinas To Luther.
    • Hughes did not complete a planned fourth volume before his death.
  • Hughes, Philip (1949), A Popular History of the Catholic Church (20 printings), New York: Macmillan. [An abridgment of his three-volume series, but running up to the mid-twentieth century, and published concurrently.

Sweet, I'll be sure to check these out, jovan. Thanks!