FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholicism and Social Justice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you think of his approach? Is social justice at the heart of Christianity? It sorta scream modern day VII.

I would consider John 12:6-8, as well as the Modern Catholic Dictionary's definition of Materialism.  This person seems to have a severe lack of understanding of both.

Here is the scripture where Jesus rebukes Judas, the first bishop to demonstrate an inordinate fixation on social justice.  In Judas' case, it is actually a front for more devious behavior, but Jesus chooses not to focus on that.  Rather, he simply refutes Judas' public objections.

Quote:Jesus therefore, six days before the pasch, came to Bethania, where Lazarus had been dead, whom Jesus raised to life.  And they made him a supper there: and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that were at table with him.  Mary therefore took a pound of ointment of right spikenard, of great price, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.  Then one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, he that was about to betray him, said: Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? … Now he said this, not because he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and having the purse, carried the things that were put therein.  Jesus therefore said: Let her alone, that she may keep it against the day of my burial.  For the poor you have always with you; but me you have not always.

Now, here is the Modern Catholic Dictionary definition of what's really going on here. The modern day, especially in the Church since Vatican II, has been fixated on it, but it goes a whole lot further back than that. This underlying principle, this false, earthly, temporal way of thinking goes all the way back to Judas in the Church, and one could probably find plenty of precursors from long before then.

Quote:MATERIALISM. The theory that all reality is only matter, or a function of matter, or ultimately derived from matter. There is no real distinction between matter and spirit; even man's soul is essentially material and not uniquely created by God. In ethical philosophy, materialism holds that material goods and interests, the pleasures of the body and emotional experience, are the only or at least the main reason for human existence. In social philosophy, the view that economics and this-worldly interests are the main functions of society.
(11-08-2017, 04:41 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I would consider John 12:6-8, as well as the Modern Catholic Dictionary's definition of Materialism.  This person seems to have a severe lack of understanding of both.

He further wrote his:

" Social justice is at the heart of Christianity because our job as Christians is to remake the world according to God’s will. That means we respect the human dignity of each person and  work to bring about conditions that promote the corporal and spiritual well-being of all people. That includes tackling systemic problems either through government or society. This is all pretty basic stuff. I suggest you take a few minutes to look into the principles of social justice, which you can find on the USCCB website. It’s a matter of seeing the world through the eyes of the Gospel, not partisan ideologies."

Yea, he definitely has a severe lack of understanding.

When responding to a video about fellow Catholics talking about racism he wasn't pleased that they didn't tackle "the root" of racism and said:

Quote:" I don’t feel as though you got to the root of the issue, particularly with events such as in Charlottesville or with the taking down of statues of Confederate “heroes”. It became a discussion tantamount to “all lives matter”, which completely ignored the real issues facing people everyday. At one point, it sounded as though you were talking about racism as something that used to exist but only is discussed today because people keep reopening the wounds out of revenge. Well, that’s simply not the case. Racism is alive and well, and it actually seems to be worsening over the last year. I’m concerned that this panel didn’t quite understand the topic they were wading into."

As for materialism, are you saying the yotube video is following the ethical philosophy version of materialism? I sorta get what you're saying about materialism but not entirely.
The man put heroes in quotations? The Papal States recognized the Confederacy! God bless those Catholic generals who were part of Dixie, too.
Sorry, couldn't watch the video, but I'm not sure if saying social justice is the "heart" of Catholicism is true because it is vague and meaningless.  Justice--including it's various subspecies--is of course an indispensable virtue. Likewise, it was a Catholic priest who first coined the term "social justice."  It's a good thing when understood as the Church defines it:

CCC 1928 Society ensures social justice when it provides the conditions that allow associations or individuals to obtain what is their due, according to their nature and their vocation. Social justice is linked to the common good and the exercise of authority.

Pius XI, Divini Redemptoris:
51. In reality, besides commutative justice, there is also social justice with its own set obligations, from which neither employers nor workingmen can escape. Now it is of the very essence of social justice to demand for each individual all that is necessary for the common good. But just as in the living organism it is impossible to provide for the good of the whole unless each single part and each individual member is given what it needs for the exercise of its proper functions, so it is impossible to care for the social organism and the good of society as a unit unless each single part and each individual member — that is to say, each individual man iin the dignity of his human personality — is supplied with all that is necessarry for the exercise of his social functions. If social justice be satisfied, the result will be an intense activity in economic life as a whole, pursued in tranquillity and order. This activity will be proof of the health of the social body, just as the health of the human body is recognized in the undisturbed regularity and perfect efficiency of the whole organism.

52. But social justice cannot be said to have been satisfied as long as workingmen are denied a salary that will enable them to secure proper sustenance for themselves and for their families; as long as they are denied the opportunity of acquiring a modest fortune and forestalling the plague of universal pauperism; as long as they cannot make suitable provision through public or private insurance for old age, for periods of illness and unemployment. In a word, to repeat what has been said in Our Encyclical Quadragesimo Anno: “Then only will the economic and social order be soundly established and attain its ends, when it offers, to all and to each, all those goods which the wealth and resources of nature, technical science and the corporate organization of social affairs can give. These goods should be sufficient to supply all necessities and reasonable comforts, and to uplift men to that higher standard of life which, provided it be used with prudence, is not only not a hindrance but is of singular help to virtue.”[37]
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/pius11/p11divin.htm
(11-09-2017, 09:58 AM)jtech7 Wrote: [ -> ]The Papal States recognized the Confederacy! 

I don't think this is true.  Bl. Pius IX, who was Pope at the time, wrote a letter to the clergy, disseminated through the bishops of New York and New Orleans, urging them all to work for peace.  This letter made its way to Jefferson Davis, who wrote to the Pope thanking him for his efforts to procure peace.  Pius IX wrote back to him, addressing him with the title Davis had signed his name with, reiterating his commitment to have the archbishops of New York and New Orleans do all they can to help restore peace and concord to America.

The Pope addressing Davis by his chosen title did cause a stir and Rome had to clarify that it should not be taken as a formal recognition or formal support for their side in the war.  From my knowledge, the Pope recognized the cause of peace and charity, that is all.