FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: TWO PART QUESTION: 1. Who is your favorite Pope, and; 2. Favorite Post-V2 Pope??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I hope this isn't an inappropriate question.   I don't think asking for "favorites" in this regard is a bad thing.  I think clearly some Popes are more excellent than others.

For our purposes though, let's leave out Saint Peter.  It doesn't seem right to "rank" one of the apostles that were in direct communion with Christ during His Incarnation. 

If I had to pick, I think I'd go: 1. Pope Saint Pius X, and 2. Pope Benedict XVI
Blessed Pius IX, the Pope of the Syllabus, and Papa Emeritus, Benedict XVI.
For favorite Popes of all time, it would be a run between Pope Pius IX, X, V, or Leo XIII. For post-Vatican II, it would be Benedict XVI.
Actually, I think the second part of your question is unnecessary. I cannot imagine anyone on this forum having a favourite post-Vatican II Pope other than Pope Benedict! Big Grin
Pre-Vatican II would probably be Leo XII. Post-Vatican II would have to be Benedict XVI. I think, however, that Paul VI had some very good qualities that have unfortunately been covered up due to him promulgating the Novus Ordo and being the pope during the chaos of the 1970’s. Naturally, he’s usually no favorite of traditionalists for those reasons. Still, when I consider his writings on celibacy and against contraception, and the fact that the Novus Ordo gave the modernists a new, prefabricated liturgy to play with rather than enticing them to play with the Mass of the Ages, I am inclined to think he was actually much better than he is often made out to be.
Pope Paul V and Pope John Paul I because he only lasted a few months.
Pre V2: Pope Pius XII

Post V2: Pope Francis
(11-09-2017, 04:31 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]   Post V2: Pope Francis

Dodgy Rolleyes Big Grin
Favorite Pope overall...that's hard. I have a soft spot for Pope Pius XII. I think he presented himself like a true Prince of the Church. His mannerisms were always so regal. Plus he had a cool way of rolling his 'r's when he spoke. I also appreciate St. Pius X and Pope Leo XIII a lot.

As for post-Vatican II, definitely Pope Benedict XVI. He was the Pope when I was baptized, confirmed, and received First Holy Communion.
(11-09-2017, 08:14 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]Favorite Pope overall...that's hard. I have a soft spot for Pope Pius XII. I think he presented himself like a true Prince of the Church. His mannerisms were always so regal. Plus he had a cool way of rolling his 'r's when he spoke. I also appreciate St. Pius X and Pope Leo XIII a lot.

As for post-Vatican II, definitely Pope Benedict XVI. He was the Pope when I was baptized, confirmed, and received First Holy Communion.

You are a convert?
Pages: 1 2 3 4