FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Missa Luba (Kyrie and Sanctus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wikipedia says:

"The Missa Luba is a setting of the Latin Mass sung in styles traditional to the Democratic Republic of Congo. It was composed by Father Guido Haazen, a Franciscan friar from Belgium, and originally performed and recorded in 1958 by Les Troubadours du Roi Baudouin (King Baudoin's Troubadours), a choir of adults and children from the Congolese town of Kamina in Katanga Province."

I wonder if this was, like many modern "Masses" written for concert performance or the liturgy.

I doubt the latter since it doesn't at all fit the principle of Sacred Music set down by Pope St. Pius X or the various other decrees through Vatican II.

For instance in St. Pius X's Motu proprio Tra le sollectitudini he legislates that :

Quote:The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy or frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like.

Quote:The liturgical text must be sung as it is in the books, without alteration or inversion of the words, without undue repetition, without breaking syllables, and always in a manner intelligible to the faithful who listen.

This says nothing of its musical qualities, of course. Dvořák's Requiem is a masterfully beautiful work, but is not fit for the liturgy, according to the Church's clearly defined principles.
I'm not exactly sure, MM. I know that Cardinal Arinze mentioned that African cultures handle various things as sacred (like dance) in a way that we do not in the West. Perhaps that's why drums are employed. I normally cannot stand drums at Mass, so I was shocked to find this and enjoy them.

You raise a good point, though. I've heard that certain instruments are now allowed if the local bishop gives permission and there's a longstanding tradition of using that instrument. Is that why pianos and the like are now employed?

If I were male and Pope, I'd be stripping the parishes of guitars, pianos, and drums, period...unless the Missa Luba permits drums, in which case I'd let the African cultures keep them.

It's kind of tricky to figure out what is still to be observed (like with instruments) and what has been changed in terms of discipline/pastoral approaches.