FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are NO homilies getting worse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am quite used to watered-down and protestantized homilies. But lately, the homilies in virtually all parishes near my home town seem to get worse and worse.

I attended mass at three different parishes in the last two weeks. Here some snippets of the homilies.

Parish 1 - Homily on "Love your neighbour as yourself"

"Christian tradition has overemphasized the love of God and neighbour at expense of the love of self. Jesus said: Love your neighbour as YOURSELF. You have to love yourself! You have to actualize yourself! Don't spend too much time worrying about other people! Develop self-love and self-confidence!"

Parish 2

After a long homily on 'Sola Gratia' which seemed to come straight out of the works of Luther, the priest concluded:

"In your soul there is both good and evil. It is ok this way. God accepts that. Embrace the evil in your soul!"

Parish 3

The priest started to read the gospel on the 10 foolish virgins, but just before the moment when the bridegroom shuts the door, he interrupted the gospel reading....said "Today I will read to you an alternative version"...and read a scene from the (blasphemous) book "The Last Temptation of Christ" in which Jesus said that the bridegroom opens the door to the foolish Virgins. The priest comments this text for some minutes ("I like this version very much") before finishing the actual gospel text.
(He also lauded the gospel for some valuable 'impulses'.)

So, I ask myself: what on earth is going on? Until now, even in the most modernist parishes, one could encounter something which at least resembled a teaching inspired by Christianity. You would at least hear the gospel and some platitudes about "Love your neighbour" and "Don't be evil."

But now you hear instead a reading of "The Last Temptation of Christ" and sayings like "Love yourself!" and "Embrace the evil in your soul!"

Has anyone heard similar stuff in homilies? What could be the reason for this troubling development? This goes far beyond Protestantizing.
"In your soul there is both good and evil. It is ok this way. God accepts that. Embrace the evil in your soul!"

Um. Huh

Well, in my NO parish, our sermons are very solid. We got a priest from India relatively recently and he is constantly emphasizing how Jesus is in the tabernacle at church along with mentioning things like:

- missing Mass on Sunday (without a good reason) is a mortal sin
- we need to wear our Sunday best
- things he heard from Mother Teresa (which makes me wonder if he met her personally, both being in India and all)

etc.
I know I shouldn't, given how serious it is, but I had to laugh at this title.

Josef, aren't you in Germany?
Ever since I was a kid I barely paid attention to homilies. During the past several years, I've heard things such as ''us and Muslims worship the same God'' and so forth from younger priests. To tell you the truth, I barely listen during the NO anyway, I only care for the most important parts of the mass, I try to spend the rest of the time praying.
(11-12-2017, 07:30 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]I know I shouldn't, given how serious it is, but I had to laugh at this title.

Josef, aren't you in Germany?

Yes, I am in Germany.

And I was serious with the title. The homilies in the last months seem to be even worse than what was preached in the last years. It's not even heresies anymore, it's the inversion of Christian teaching. Maybe it has to do with Cdl. Müllers dismissal...before that, there was at least a (very) slight chance that someone at the Vatican would object to the stuff mentioned in my first post.
Wow...all of those quotes you mentioned seem problematic coming from a Preist. I must say that I am jealous of In His Love's new Priest. He sounds like a keeper for a NO Priest.
You really should have stood up and demanded what he means by embracing evil. Then ask him if God accepts the murder of the French priest in Normandy at the hands of men who "embraced the evil in their soul", or the recent Texas church-shooter, if it was a good thing he "embraced the evil in his soul."

Tell him that you seriously want to punch in square in the jaw with the desire to break it, so his mouth is rendered useless to spout any further heretical BS. Then kindly ask him: 'Is it good that one should embrace the evil in their soul?'

It is clear they are not teaching basic logic and philosophy in Deutschland.
Homilies at N.O. Parishes are pretty horrid to begin with. At my old "home" parish I was told everything from "Islam has the same God" to "everyone needs to participate in the Church." I'd imagine it's worse in Germany. Are there any SSPX/FSSP/Eastern Catholic parishes within your distance?

Also one question I do have for Josef is one I've been wanting to ask for a while. Is it true that there is still a strong, faithful Catholic identity among the residents of Oberammergau? Or Bavarian Catholics in general? Or has N.O. fuddy-duddyism taken over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:"In your soul there is both good and evil. It is ok this way. God accepts that. Embrace the evil in your soul!"

That's Kabbalah.
(11-12-2017, 09:40 AM)IntoTheMystic Wrote: [ -> ]Wow...all of those quotes you mentioned seem problematic coming from a Preist. I must say that I am jealous of In His Love's new Priest. He sounds like a keeper for a NO Priest.

He is wonderful. I forgot to mention that very early on (when he was recently installed as our priest), he stressed how important Confession was and told us that we could come to him anytime for Confession, whether it was scheduled for that day or not. 

Also, his singing...wow. When he sings, "The Lord be with you," "Lift up your hearts," "Let us give thanks to the Lord our God," and sometimes the Our Father...it's amazing. He's very gifted at it.
Pages: 1 2