FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I've Always Tilted Towards Traditionalism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all! I'm a recent convert to the One True Faith (went through RCIA late 2015-early 2016, I learned more online then in RCIA Rolleyes ) from superstitious Agnosticism. I've heard of this place from Catholic Answers Forums, the place where I really learned most about the Faith. I've always found that so called "Traditionalists" are the people who actually take their faith seriously: all others, it seems, are very lukewarm; Thus, since before I even started RCIA, I always leaned towards traditionalism. After all, God never changes. The Truth never changes.

I've always been a big poster on the Catholic Answers Forums, but I find that, at least these days, there are many people who are anti tradition. On the flip side, however, they seem less prone to ban traditionalists these days.

What lead me to sign up here? Well, as previously stated, I lean towards tradition. For ages, however, I don't believe I've ever met a traditionalist in person. Most of the Catholics I know are either Cafeteria Catholics, or are rather lukewarm. However, I've recently joined my college's Newman Club. From joining, I've met several devout Catholics, including a young traditional Catholic woman. From talking with her, I find that the trad in me has been ignited. I didn't know where to go to learn about traditional Catholicism. Before meeting her, I didn't really know any traditional Catholics besides a family who is an acquaintance at my parish. The more you surround yourself with devout Catholics, the more you will grow, and be solidified in faith.

Besides my faith, which I feel is never enough to be honest, God has blessed me with the skills of playing the accordion, making graphic designs, and chewing peoples' ears off. I am quite the people person. This, while a great blessing, is also a very heavy cross too because I tend to be a doormat when controversial topics and other things pop up.

I picked my username here from a nickname a customer always calls me because I always tend to be smiling when talking to people. Big Grin

Thank you all for this forum! I hope that by posting and reading here I may find yet another way to grow deeper in faith. Smile
Welcome to the fishtank!  Do you have a traditional Latin Mass at your university to attend?

Edit: your accordion videos are great! Nice flashback getting to see CFS3 too. I doubted anyone else remembered that game anymore besides me. I always flew the Tempest V.
Welcome aboard, new Fishie! Hi!
Thanks! Smile

I actually don't go to a university, I go to a community college, so we're a very small group (only 3 Catholic student members total in the Newman Club: me, the trad girl, and some older guy.) We only really have Masses on occasion as we don't have an actual church/chapel, and when we do I'm guessing its NO. There is, however, a Basilica right down the road from the college that has TLM on Sunday at 6:00pm. I'm planning on going there next Sunday as I've yet to go to a real Latin Mass (I've been to a NO Mass with Latin singing at an abbey.)
Ah, so it will be your first Latin Mass!  That's exciting for sure.  Do you have any questions we can answer for you before you go? Smile Otherwise, be sure to let us know how it went!
(11-12-2017, 07:47 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, so it will be your first Latin Mass!  That's exciting for sure.  Do you have any questions we can answer for you before you go? Smile Otherwise, be sure to let us know how it went!

I don't know actually. I'll probably have questions, but I'll be in the Mass already. 🤗

Fortunately I got two old missals the other day at a flea market. I believe one to be a Saint Joseph Missal from 1961, while the other is a Maryknoll Missal from 1957. Which one is better to bring? I've looked through them and they seem almost the same, but there also seem to be some differences.

Thanks! 😄
I think either of those should serve you well.  You'll want to set your missal for the Sixth Resumed Sunday after the Epiphany.  That being said, I recommend reading the readings ahead of time and trying to follow the Mass with your eyes more than by reading.  Certainly still do use it, but don't get so lost in it that you miss out on the richness of the liturgy!
(11-12-2017, 09:31 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]I think either of those should serve you well.  You'll want to set your missal for the Sixth Resumed Sunday after the Epiphany.  That being said, I recommend reading the readings ahead of time and trying to follow the Mass with your eyes more than by reading.  Certainly still do use it, but don't get so lost in it that you miss out on the richness of the liturgy!

Thanks! Angel 

I just noticed that for some odd reason the missals seem to have different prayers for this Sunday. Why is this? Huh
(11-12-2017, 09:57 PM)Smiley Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2017, 09:31 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]I think either of those should serve you well.  You'll want to set your missal for the Sixth Resumed Sunday after the Epiphany.  That being said, I recommend reading the readings ahead of time and trying to follow the Mass with your eyes more than by reading.  Certainly still do use it, but don't get so lost in it that you miss out on the richness of the liturgy!

Thanks! Angel 

I just noticed that for some odd reason the missals seem to have different prayers for this Sunday. Why is this? Huh

Perchance, does one start "Adorate Deum, omnes angeli eius" and the other "Dicit Dominus: Ego cogito cogitationes pacis"?  If so, one is the "Sixth Sunday After Epiphany" and the other is the "Six Resumed Sunday After Epiphany".  The difference being, when Lent comes early, they make up the "lost" Sundays of Epiphanytide at the end of the year, but with different prayers.
Hmm. That's strange. The prayers in both the missals for this Sunday are both in English. One starts with "Grant we beseech You almighty God..." whereas the other starts "Almighty God, let our minds always be fixed on your truths..."

I'm a bit confused. 🤔
Pages: 1 2