FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ad Orientem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently, in our Diocesan newspaper, there was an article about a Parish that has introduced ad orientem. When I read it, I wondered if I should talk to our Pastor about doing the same. Then I went to Church for a visit and checked out the Sanctuary. I decided not to ask him, because there was no room to stand at the Altar facing East.

Last night at the end of his homily, Father said he had an announcement. A bit unusual, since like many Parishes announcements are read at the end of Mass with an encouragement to pick up a bulletin. Anyway, he announced that he would be introducing ad orientem on an experimental basis on the first Sunday of Advent. He spent ten minutes or so explaining the theological implications, and said there was a bulletin insert with more detail and that there would be further explanation in inserts over the next two weeks. He said if we had any questions he'd be glad to answer them.

After Mass, I and another fellow told him how happy we were with his decision, but I said I did have one question, 'Was the Altar movable?' He said yes, and then pointed out that Altars in consecrated Churches, by law, should be fixed and immovable.

Anyway, I hope that the 'experiment' is well received and that it will become the norm.
(11-12-2017, 12:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Last night at the end of his homily, Father said he had an announcement. A bit unusual, since like many Parishes announcements are read at the end of Mass with an encouragement to pick up a bulletin. Anyway, he announced that in Advent he would be introducing ad orientem on an experimental basis on the fist Sunday of Advent. He spent ten minutes or so explaining the theological implications, and said there was a bulletin insert with more detail and that there would be further explanation in inserts over the next two weeks. He said if we had any questions he'd be glad to answer them.

"So, folks ... we ..uhhh.. have been doing it wrong since the New Springtime of Vatican II commenced...and here are the theological reasons why, given we decided to transition from offering the sacrifice to God to being more man centered , but...umm.. don't let this admission vitiate against our credibility, however, or anything.."