FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Friday Abstinence - Doubts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
+PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM+

Hello,

I had a few doubts ....

1. I would like to know what are the rules of abstinence on Fridays throughout the year…
  2. If that Friday is a parish feast or a Class I Feast e.g. Christmas, All Saints’ Day, etc. does the abstinence needs to be observed…?
  3. Is it an obligation to abstain on All Souls’ Day…?
  4. Are dishes made of egg and fish exempt from abstinence or not…?
Thanks for the swift response... This page cleared my doubts...

What about on All Souls' Day...? Is it imperative to fast and/or abstain...?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
(11-16-2017, 10:36 AM)andypl Wrote: [ -> ]What about on All Souls' Day...? Is it imperative to fast and/or abstain...?

Same here. Next year All Souls' Day falls on a Friday and I don't know if we have to abstain.
I think I might have asked this in the past. If I did, my apologies but I need my memory refreshed.

As I'm a Type One Diabetic, I have to keep a low-carb diet always in view. So I can't have rice, bread, pasta and so on unless it is in very limited amounts once a day. Which means a protein-centered food plan from now which includes meat.

So what is the direction for diabetics like me regarding the traditional fasting Church teachings? Many thanks for any help in this area. Smile
Whilst I stand ready for correction, I know of no rule either requiring abstinence on All Souls' or exempting from abstinence, under the old rules, should it fall on a Friday.

That said, with all due respect, if you're wondering if you have to abstain on the day if it falls on a Friday, you're approaching it wrong.
(11-16-2017, 12:49 PM)HailGilbert Wrote: [ -> ]I think I might have asked this in the past. If I did, my apologies but I need my memory refreshed.

As I'm a Type One Diabetic, I have to keep a low-carb diet always in view. So I can't have rice, bread, pasta and so on unless it is in very limited amounts once a day. Which means a protein-centered food plan from now which includes meat.

So what is the direction for diabetics like me regarding the traditional fasting Church teachings? Many thanks for any help in this area. Smile

Priests give dispensations for those who are too ill to fast or abstain when required to by Canon Law.
As far as I am aware:

All Fridays in Lent are abstinence days. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fasting and abstinence.

All other Fridays require some type of penance. Abstinence is the most common, but depending on where you live, your local Bishops' Conference may have granted permission to do other types of penance, like extra prayers or acts of charity. This is the case in Canada.
Rules vary in different places, since the bishops' conferences get to set the local rules.

In the universal Church, Abstinence is obligatory on Fridays. Locally it may not be.

In all places it is obligatory on the Fridays of Lent and Ash Wednesday.

You are bound to abstain from age 14 on, unless health or necessity demands otherwise.

Most, but not all, bishops' conferences have mandated that some kind of penance is to be done on Friday, but not necessarily abstinence.

The law removes this obligation on all "Solemnities" which are the equivalent of a First Class feast day, not a liturgical day of the First Class (like Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Holy Week or All Souls Day). All Souls Day falling on a Friday would not remove the obligation.

Since one thing is not obliged, and penance is undefined, the law cannot bind you under pain of grave sin. An extra Hail Mary is penance, so is giving up salt on your food, neither of which amount to anything near grave matter.

If you fail in the Friday abstinence or penance, you would not be guilty of a grave sin. Where the law is more clear, and certainly on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday it seems the Church is maintaining the older discipline, and probably these bind under pain of grave sin.
(11-16-2017, 03:20 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]The law removes this obligation on all "Solemnities" which are the equivalent of a First Class feast day, not a liturgical day of the First Class (like Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Holy Week or All Souls Day). All Souls Day falling on a Friday would not remove the obligation.

So does that imply that All Souls' Day is a day of abstinence...? Huh

Also, could abstinence from sweets be an appropriate example of Friday abstinence...?
Pages: 1 2