FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Attending Orthodox Mass to fulfill Sunday Obligation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: latin_cross.png?v=5] PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

Hello,

I wanted to know your views based on the given hypothetical scenario:

Suppose we live in an area where Catholic Churches are few and there is a large Orthodox Christian population. Is it OK for me as a Latin Rite Catholic to attend an Orthodox Mass to fulfill my Sunday obligation and receive Holy Communion…?
No. If you live in an area where you can't get to a Catholic church, then you're dispensed from the obligation.
And no Orthodox priest that I've ever known or heard of would give Holy Communion to any non-Orthodox, even a Catholic.

Oh, and it does NOT fulfill your Sunday obligation, which is to attend a Catholic Rite, which the Orthodox are not.
Some Orthodox won't even let you outside the narthex in the church if they know you're not one of them.  Depending on the jurisdiction they can be super strict, as in the priest won't even commune an Orthodox visitor unless he approached him before and made his Orthodox street cred known. By street cred I mean were you "rebaptized" or not? Did you attend the Saturday vigil, confess, fast from midnight from everything (including water) and are you actually Orthodox according to the particular jurisdiction you're going to visit. 

I used to be ok with going there as a Catholic but these days I'm not.  Orthodox and Catholics do not share the same faith. There are similarities but ultimately Orthodoxy and Catholicism are different, sometimes profoundly so.  If you are a serious Latin Rite Catholic stick to the Latin Rite, don't step into the world of Orthodoxy, you might end up losing your Catholic faith.  I'm serious too.  

Personally if I were a Catholic with no options other than pray the breviary at home, attend a zany New Mass or Orthodox church I'd stay home. Of course take what I say as my opinion and nothing else, and feel free to disagree.
(11-19-2017, 07:46 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Some Orthodox won't even let you outside the narthex in the church if they know you're not one of them.  Depending on the jurisdiction they can be super strict, as in the priest won't even commune an Orthodox visitor unless he approached him before and made his Orthodox street cred known. By street cred I mean were you "rebaptized" or not? Did you attend the Saturday vigil, confess, fast from midnight from everything (including water) and are you actually Orthodox according to the particular jurisdiction you're going to visit. 

I used to be ok with going there as a Catholic but these days I'm not.  Orthodox and Catholics do not share the same faith. There are similarities but ultimately Orthodoxy and Catholicism are different, sometimes profoundly so.  If you are a serious Latin Rite Catholic stick to the Latin Rite, don't step into the world of Orthodoxy, you might end up losing your Catholic faith.  I'm serious too.  

Personally if I were a Catholic with no options other than pray the breviary at home, attend a zany New Mass or Orthodox church I'd stay home. Of course take what I say as my opinion and nothing else, and feel free to disagree.

Just a slight twist to the scenario : Can a Latin Rite Catholic attend an Eastern Rite Catholic Mass...? (I presume it is permissible..?) :hmmm:
(11-19-2017, 07:46 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Personally if I were a Catholic with no options other than pray the breviary at home, attend a zany New Mass or Orthodox church I'd stay home. Of course take what I say as my opinion and nothing else, and feel free to disagree.

Since, you brought up this context, I'll be posting another thread related to the above quoted statement...

Thanks...!  :)

+PAX ET BONUM+
(11-19-2017, 12:36 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]Just a slight twist to the scenario : Can a Latin Rite Catholic attend an Eastern Rite Catholic Mass...? (I presume it is permissible..?) :hmmm:
Yes. The law require a Catholic Rite, in any of its myriad forms. My former Eastern Rite Catholic Parish was a (Ruthenian) Byzantine Catholic Church. It's congrgation was about 1/3 Ruthenian, 1/3 Ukrainian, and 1/3 Latins fleeing the NO. Our Pastor was an Irish Latin who had received bi-ritual faculties because he refused to celebrate the NO in English. He did celebrate it in Latin, tho'.
Oops! Double post!
(11-19-2017, 12:39 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2017, 07:46 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Personally if I were a Catholic with no options other than pray the breviary at home, attend a zany New Mass or Orthodox church I'd stay home. Of course take what I say as my opinion and nothing else, and feel free to disagree.

Since, you brought up this context, I'll be posting another thread related to the above quoted statement...

Thanks...!  :)

+PAX ET BONUM+
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, summing up the Precepts of the Church: '
Quote:1.You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation.
'

From the Code of Canon Law:

Quote:Can.  1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.
Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

Can.  1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.
Also, is it permissible for a Catholic to attend an Orthodox wedding of a friend...? If no restrictions are imposed on a Catholic to enter the church...?
Pages: 1 2