FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: encountering a strange Catholisism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was leaving daily Mass (not my home parish) last week when a gentleman came up to me and invited me to a healing Mass. I said "no thanks that's not my cup of tea I don't need a healing Mass for healing." He then said "we lay hands on people and they are healed." I replied "that sounds pretty Pentecostal to me, no thanks". He continued "don't you believe Jesus heals people today?" My reply was "he certainly does." Then I quickly got in my truck and left.

On the way home I was thinking of what I should have said. I am never good with on the spot replies. I probably should have said some thing like "we have the intercession of the saints for that sort of thing." Or for 2,000 we never had healing Masses. I have a feeling they all get around who needs to be healed and put there hands on them, there is probably some sort of yelling and ecstasy involved.

Strange thing is that I have been inundated with this type of modern Catholic thing these past month. I need a traditional parish. There are none within 75 miles.
Pray, and try to move. I don’t blame you for not wanting anything to do with that overly-simplistic Pentecostal superstitiousness.
I don't have any problems with Catholics getting together to pray for healing (in fact, I'm all for it) -- but that's not what the Mass is for. They mean well, but are very misled, alas. Next time, maybe you could send them to FishEaters so they can learn what the Mass is, what it's for, why it should be in the traditional form, etc. If you do this, do it gently.

Remember that they're also Catholic (and there may well be healings at those Masses). They just have to be taught that such things need to be done after Mass, not during it.
I've been to 3 in my life.  The only supernatural experience I've ever had of God's love was at one of them.  At all three, the healing service took place immediately after the mass.  It was never incorporated into it.
(11-23-2017, 11:05 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I've been to 3 in my life.  The only supernatural experience I've ever had of God's love was at one of them.  At all three, the healing service took place immediately after the mass.  It was never incorporated into it.

Then maybe I'm the one who's misled. Glad to hear they don't do that during the Mass -- though they should go trad and attend the TLM, of course Sticking tongue out at you
(11-23-2017, 10:19 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Pray, and try to move. I don’t blame you for not wanting anything to do with that overly-simplistic Pentecostal superstitiousness.

Wish I could move. But I have grandchildren here. My wife isn't a practicing Catholic and her thinking is we have a Catholic Church less than a mile away. She says "Whats the big deal?" I can't get her to go to Mass let alone understand my love of tradition. I do go to a Byzantine Devine Liturgy at least once a month, but I would prefer a TLM.
(11-23-2017, 11:50 AM)BobR67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2017, 10:19 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Pray, and try to move. I don’t blame you for not wanting anything to do with that overly-simplistic Pentecostal superstitiousness.

Wish I could move. But I have grandchildren here. My wife isn't a practicing Catholic and her thinking is we have a Catholic Church less than a mile away. She says "Whats the big deal?" I can't get her to go to Mass let alone understand my love of tradition. I do go to a Byzantine Devine Liturgy at least once a month, but I would prefer a TLM.

One question, by Byzantine do you mean a Byzantine Catholic Church or an Orthodox church? A Byzantine Catholic Divine Liturgy will fulfill your Sunday obligation but an orthodox liturgy will not.
(11-23-2017, 09:28 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2017, 11:50 AM)BobR67 Wrote: [ -> ]

One question, by Byzantine do you mean a Byzantine Catholic Church or an Orthodox church? A Byzantine Catholic Divine Liturgy will fulfill your Sunday obligation but an orthodox liturgy will not.

Byzantine Catholic
(11-23-2017, 11:05 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I've been to 3 in my life.  The only supernatural experience I've ever had of God's love was at one of them.  At all three, the healing service took place immediately after the mass.  It was never incorporated into it.

Not to belittle your experience, but whenever there is some novel devotion it is time to be extremely wary.

Even if not incorporated into the Mass, the whole concept is from Evangelical Protestantism, and is thus bogus, meaning one ought to be extremely and highly suspect that such "experiences" are not of divine origin.

It is similar with "miracles" in Protestant sects. Is it possible that through some Protestant God can work a miracle? Sure. The question is, to see if it truly is from God, what the end or purpose of such a thing is. If it leads one to the true Faith, Sanctifying Grace, or Contrition, then it is probably a miracle. If it leads one toward a false sect, toward novel devotions, to a "peace of soul" without Contrition or anything in such vein, it is probably diabolical.

Sadly, most such Pentecostal things are seriously diabolocal, so much so that possessions from Pentecostalism (even so-called "Catholic" Pentecostalism) is not that uncommon.
All masses offer healing. The best form of healing are those which are spiritual.
Pages: 1 2