FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why Would Pope Benedict XVI Compare Noahide Laws to New Tesatament?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Specifically:

Quote:Jewish tradition emphasizes the Noachide Covenant (cf. Gn 9: 9-12) as containing. the universal moral code which is incumbent on all humanity. This idea is reflected in Christian Scripture in the Book of Acts 15: 28-29
The full text is here:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontif...le_en.html
Because the Acts of the Council of Jerusalem, recorded in Acts 15:28,29, reproduce four of the 'Seven Laws of Noah' and the rest are covered by the Ten Commandments.
(11-29-2017, 01:07 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Because the Acts of the Council of Jerusalem, recorded in Acts 15:28,29, reproduce four of the 'Seven Laws of Noah' and the rest are covered by the Ten Commandments.

I see.  Thanks!

Do you think his purpose here is to show what Catholics and Jews have in common?  Is he blessing the Noahide Laws as something good?
Just to clarify, this is the results of a meeting between the Delegation of the Holy See's Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews and the Chief Rabbinate of Israel's Delegation for Relations with the Catholic Church (the individual participants are listed at the bottom).  It is not something from Benedict XVI or Benedict XIV (although I doubt either would object to the statement on the Noahide laws).

The point of this meeting seems to have been to look at ways Christians and Jews can pursue common ends for the common good of the societies in which they live (with a certain focus on the proper limits of freedom).
Catholics and Post-Temple Jews see the covenant with Noah radically differently. The goal of religious Jews is to get the entire world to obey the "Seven Noahide Laws," which aren't actually "seven little laws," but seven categories of laws, all executed by rabbis. Those laws, which they present as harmless, forbid the worship of Christ -- and punish such worship -- as with any breaking of any Noahide law -- with decapitation. Such a sentence can be passed on a Noahide (a follower of the Noahide laws) based on the testimony of one male witness, with no warnings given. 

Christianity is seen as idolatry; Islam isn't (which I see as very revealing given Jewish leaders' involvement in Islamizing the West, which effectively turns Christians into Noahides, destroys Christendom, and pressures Jews to make aliyah and "return" to Israel, all at the same time.). 

From the Jewish Encyclopedia. Note the second page, left side column especially:

[Image: noahidelaws1.jpg]

[Image: noahidelaws2.jpg]

[Image: noahidelaws3.jpg]
(11-29-2017, 10:04 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Christianity is seen as idolatry; Islam isn't (which I see as very revealing given Jewish leaders' involvement in Islamizing the West, which effectively turns Christians into Noahides, destroys Christendom, and pressures Jews to make aliyah and "return" to Israel, all at the same time.). 

Following the election of a hijab-wearing Muslim woman as the mayor of the Bosnian city of Visoko for the first time in continent's history, the student asked the rabbi on the Kipa website: "How do we fight the Islamization of Europe and return it to the hands of Christians and moderates?"

Efrati wrote in response that the Islamization of Europe was better than a Christian Europe for ethical and theological reasons – as a punishment against Christians for persecuting the Jews and the fact that Christianity, as opposed to Islam, is considered "idolatry" from a halachic point of view.

"Jews should rejoice at the fact that Christian Europe is losing its identity as a punishment for what it did to us for the hundreds of years were in exile there," the rabbi explained as the ethical reason for favoring Muslims,

...The theological reason, according to Rabbi Efrati, is that Christianity – which he sees as idolatry – has a tendency to "destroy normal life and abstain from it on the one hand, while losing modesty on the other hand," as it "ranges between radical monasticism to radical Western licentiousness."

Islam, the rabbi added, is "a religion which misjudges its prophets but is relatively honest. It educates a bit more for a stable life of marriage and creation, where there is certain modesty and respect for God."

Efrati ruled, therefore, that "even if we are in a major war with the region's Arabs over the Land of Israel, Islam is still much better as a gentile culture than Christianity."

He added, however, that Jews must pray that the Islamization of most of Europe will not harm the people of Israel.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340...73,00.html

Let the delusions of Christians that Talmudists are their friends be stripped away, for good...

(11-29-2017, 09:51 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]Just to clarify, this is the results of a meeting between the Delegation of the Holy See's Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews and the Chief Rabbinate of Israel's Delegation for Relations with the Catholic Church (the individual participants are listed at the bottom).  It is not something from Benedict XVI or Benedict XIV (although I doubt either would object to the statement on the Noahide laws).

The point of this meeting seems to have been to look at ways Christians and Jews can pursue common ends for the common good of the societies in which they live (with a certain focus on the proper limits of freedom).

Ooops!  Yes, I meant Pope Benedict XVI. Sticking tongue out at you

Thanks.

I can't read too well so and can just skim or do a "control f" to find things in a document, so thanks for your clarification as well.
(11-29-2017, 10:04 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Catholics and Post-Temple Jews see the covenant with Noah radically differently. The goal of religious Jews is to get the entire world to obey the "Seven Noahide Laws," which aren't actually "seven little laws," but seven categories of laws, all executed by rabbis. Those laws, which they present as harmless, forbid the worship of Christ -- and punish such worship -- as with any breaking of any Noahide law -- with decapitation. Such a sentence can be passed on a Noahide (a follower of the Noahide laws) based on the testimony of one male witness, with no warnings given. 

Christianity is seen as idolatry; Islam isn't (which I see as very revealing given Jewish leaders' involvement in Islamizing the West, which effectively turns Christians into Noahides, destroys Christendom, and pressures Jews to make aliyah and "return" to Israel, all at the same time.). 

From the Jewish Encyclopedia. Note the second page, left side column especially:

[Image: noahidelaws1.jpg]

[Image: noahidelaws2.jpg]

[Image: noahidelaws3.jpg]

Yes, exactly.  I had a friend help me read your excellent post on the Noahide Laws:

https://www.fisheaters.com/jc2.html

So I'm wondering why a Vatican document would give credence to the Noahide Laws when it's very clear they are a threat to Catholics and may be used in the future to annihilate the Church through mass genocide.   Huh
I believe that it is because of the requirements for the gentile converts to Christianity. The Mosaic Law is a discipline. The laws against eating pork and circumcision are disciplines that even the Jews recognized were not applicable to everyone.
If you eat pork for example you are not committing a sin against the universal moral law. It is similar to the rule of religious life. For example the Trappists do not eat meat. However in their guest houses they may serve meat as a sign that they are practicing a discipline and they are not vegetarians because they believe that there is something inherently immoral about eating meat.
(11-30-2017, 03:39 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that it is because of the requirements for the gentile converts to Christianity. The Mosaic Law is a discipline. The laws against eating pork and circumcision are disciplines that even the Jews recognized were not applicable to everyone.
If you eat pork for example you are not committing a sin against the universal moral law. It is similar to the rule of religious life. For example the Trappists do not eat meat. However in their guest houses they may serve meat as a sign that they are practicing a discipline and they are not vegetarians because they believe that there is something inherently immoral about eating meat.

Hmmm...ok, but would the Trappists behead their guests for not believing in Jesus?
Pages: 1 2