FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to dispose of a scapular
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My youngest grabbed my scapular the other day when I picked her up, and ripped it off my neck.  Kid's got a grip.  I've ordered a new one, but how does one dispose of a torn scapular, or any other damaged sacramental, for that matter.

Thanks in advance!
Burn it and bury the ashes.
To the flames then to the earth.  Bury it then burn it.  

Same goes for broken rosaries, Bibles which can no longer be used, or damaged icons or images.

I have candles that have images of the Virgin of Guadalupe and the Saints on them, and when they get burned out I put them in a fire to burn off the images and any remaining blessed wax and then I shatter the glass and throw that out.  It seems a lot more dignified then just chucking it in the garbage.
(11-29-2017, 12:28 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]To the flames or to the earth.  Bury it or burn it.  

Same goes for broken rosaries, Bibles which can no longer be used, or damaged icons or images.

I have candles that have images of the Virgin of Guadalupe and the Saints on them, and when they get burned out I put them in a fire to burn off the images and any remaining blessed wax and then I shatter the glass and throw that out.  It seems a lot more dignified then just chucking it in the garbage.

I believe this goes for anything that has been blessed by a priest when someone wants to despised of it.
If it was torn (which I've done many times too) why not do as I did and sew it?
One disposes of a blessed thing by destroying it, however a thing loses its blessing when it loses its form as that thing.

Thus a blessed candle, once melted down is no longer blessed (since it's not a candle anymore). A scapular which is torn apart is worn to the point where it falls apart isn't a scapular anymore.

The question turns more on propriety of methods of disposal. The average garbage can isn't a good place to toss out your destroyed statue because of possible scandal.

Only the first scapular you received was actually blessed. The essential part is not the blessing of the scapular, but the enrollment in the scapular confraternity (by which you share in the spiritual benefits of the Third Order Carmelites). This requires that you wear a scapular or scapular medal and recite the Little Office of Our Lady each day. Five decades of the Rosary can be substituted for the Little Office.

Subsequent scapulars are merely put on and not blessed. The form for the blessing in the ritual does not permit it to be separated from enrollment, so it is doubtful that subsequent scapular could even be blessed (except by the blessing "ad omnia"— for all other things). 

As such you can dispose of a destroyed scapular however is convenient. No need to burn or bury it.

However, given that it could be a source of scandal for someone, it is probably better either to cut it up into indistinguishable pieces and throw it away, or to burn it, but that's to prevent possible scandal, not because that is somehow required.

The only things which must be disposed of by burning or burial even after apparent destruction are the Sacred Species and Holy Oils. If a priest were to find a host that had apparently corrupted he would put it into water until it was dissolved then dispose of this in the fire or in a sacrarium (a kind of burial). The Holy Oils are traditionally at the Vatican mixed with wax from the paschal candle and these made into Agnus Dei images, but in other places put into a sanctuary lamp and burned (if it is an oil lamp), else they are simply burned.
(11-29-2017, 06:52 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]The essential part is not the blessing of the scapular, but the enrollment in the scapular confraternity (by which you share in the spiritual benefits of the Third Order Carmelites). 
Actually, by enrolment in the Scapular Confraternity, and the fulfilment of the prescribed conditions, one shares in the spiritual goods of the entire Carmelite Community, not just the Third Order.
Not to break topic but does anyone know if its permissible to replace a brown scapular with a scapular medal if the scapular falls apart, if so under which conditions? I have heard various opinions amongst trads and NO folk alike. I think its generally agreed that it can be replaced under certain geographical circumstances eg. being in a jungle, desert, etc. But as that's not really a definable condition I'm not certain what the limits would be. 

Any thoughts?
(11-29-2017, 11:19 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Not to break topic but does anyone know if its permissible to replace a brown scapular with a scapular medal if the scapular falls apart, if so under which conditions? I have heard various opinions amongst trads and NO folk alike. I think its generally agreed that it can be replaced under certain geographical circumstances eg. being in a jungle, desert, etc. But as that's not really a definable condition I'm not certain what the limits would be. 

Any thoughts?
From the Official Catechesis on the Brown Scapular approved by both the Ancient Observance (O.Carm.) and the Reform (O.C.D.), 

Quote:What about the Scapular medal?

The Scapular medal can be worn in place of the cloth scapular for good reason but is not the preferred form precisely because the sacramental link the visible link with the cloth panels of the Carmelite habit has been lost.
I would say that temporarily replacing a scapular that has fallen apart with the medal is perfectly acceptable. However, be sure that the medal is blessed.

Personally, I've never understood the permission to replace the Scapular with a medal in 'hot climates'. I wear the Third Order Scapular which is about 8"x 10", and I wear it even whilst working in the heat of a Midwestern summer. I keep a small Scapular to wear whilst my large one is in the wash, and I also wear the medal at all times, but it has been blessed to replace all five Scapulars I've been enrolled in, so I'm covered for my Brown Scapular, even in the shower.
Thank you all for the responses. I learn something here every day! Smile

(11-30-2017, 01:00 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I've never understood the permission to replace the Scapular with a medal in 'hot climates'.

My step-dad wore one in Vietnam.