FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Balamand Statement question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone explain the Catholic/Orthodox Balamand Statement to me. One part of it states (paragraph 15) "there is no question of conversion of people from one Church to the other in order to ensure their salvation." To an uneducated layman like myself it sounds like I could covert to Orthodoxy without endangering my soul. 

So I thought I'd ask some of the people here that have more experience with Church documents. I included a link to the statement.
Balamand Statement

Thanks
(11-29-2017, 08:11 PM)BobR67 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain the Catholic/Orthodox Balamand Statement to me. One part of it states (paragraph 15) "there is no question of conversion of people from one Church to the other in order to ensure their salvation." To an uneducated layman like myself it sounds like I could covert to Orthodoxy without endangering my soul. 

So I thought I'd ask some of the people here that have more experience with Church documents. I included a link to the statement.
Balamand Statement

Thanks

Crucifix Pax et Bonum!  I am not an expert, however I found the reading interesting and your question.  It seems to me, that you can convert to Orthodoxy, because salvation is there also, however a technicality keeps the separation of Catholics and Orthodox.  I know someone who converted to Orthodox from Catholicism and went through catechetical studies (which includes the history and separation issues) with the Orthodox Priest and a group of members before receiving communion.  Their original baptism was acceptable.  God bless, angeltime
(11-29-2017, 08:11 PM)BobR67 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain the Catholic/Orthodox Balamand Statement to me. One part of it states (paragraph 15) "there is no question of conversion of people from one Church to the other in order to ensure their salvation." To an uneducated layman like myself it sounds like I could covert to Orthodoxy without endangering my soul. 

The concept of a Catholic converting to Orthodoxy without endangering their soul conflicts with Lumen Gentium, #14:

"This Sacred Council wishes to turn its attention firstly to the Catholic faithful. Basing itself upon Sacred Scripture and Tradition, it teaches that the Church, now sojourning on earth as an exile, is necessary for salvation. Christ, present to us in His Body, which is the Church, is the one Mediator and the unique way of salvation. In explicit terms He Himself affirmed the necessity of faith and baptism(124) and thereby affirmed also the necessity of the Church, for through baptism as through a door men enter the Church. Whosoever, therefore, knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ, would refuse to enter or to remain in it, could not be saved."
I did some reading on an Orthodox website about this statement. It doesn't seem to be well recived ( that's probably an understatement). To be honest I didn't realize how hostile they are towards Rome.

Orthodox view on the Balamand Statement
The Balamand Statement is a betrayal of the witness of St. Josaphat and throws insult on the historical missionary commission of the Church"inasmuch as it speaks pejoratively of “uniatism,” i.e., union with the Church through the Uniate Eastern Rites. St. Josaphat died because of his fidelity to the Union of Brest, which gave us the uniate Ukrainian Eastern Rite."

Read about him.

http://catholicism.org/ad-rem-no-9.html

The occupied Vatican says St. Josaphat was wrong to convert Eastern Schismatics ( who later murdered/martyred him) back to Catholic Church unity.

They know better now.  The Conciliar Church admits it does not operate under the Divine mandate to convert non catholics.
(11-30-2017, 10:32 AM)BobR67 Wrote: [ -> ]I did some reading on an Orthodox website about this statement. It doesn't seem to be well recived ( that's probably an understatement). To be honest I didn't realize how hostile they are towards Rome.

Orthodox view on the Balamand Statement
A lot depends on the jurisdiction. I was going to comment on Angeltime's post that some Orthodox accept baptism done in other churches, as did the Serbs when I was received, who accepted my protestant baptism. However, there are other jurisdictions that are almost as rigid as some anabaptist sects that refuse to accept a baptism unless it is a believer's baptism, done by trine immersion, and in a church of their sect. At least, I've never heard of an Orthodox jurisdiction refusing to accept the baptisms of other Orthodox. 

And, yes, in my experience as an Orthodox, they are very, very hostile towards Rome, and the laity tend to be more so than the clergy. Most of the laity I knew were convinced that the Latin Church is a false Church, teaching heresy. No 'false ecumenism' there!
The clergy and theologians are not so hostile towards Rome... meanwhile the converted laity of the Orthodox are "Protodox." They are Protestant and Orthodox. They keep their anti-Rome baggage with them as they become Orthodox, you see?

It's a big reason they don't convert many Catholics, in my opinion!
(11-30-2017, 02:08 PM)jtech7 Wrote: [ -> ]The clergy and theologians are not so hostile towards Rome... meanwhile the converted laity of the Orthodox are "Protodox." They are Protestant and Orthodox. They keep their anti-Rome baggage with them as they become Orthodox, you see?

It's a big reason they don't convert many Catholics, in my opinion!
I was Orthodox almost almost 40 years ago. There weren't many protestant converts in those days, but it's true, even then, that the clergy and the theologians were not nearly as anti-Rome as the laity, at least in the Serb and Russian Churches. In fact, my Russian Pastor used to assist at major Feasts at the Polish, Latin rite, Catholic Church.

Balamand Statement

Thanks
The Catholic Church teaches that it alone is the One True Church, and that adherence to a schismatic group is sinful.  I don't know what that document has to say to the contrary, but it's just a communiqué, nothing definitive.  Personally, I wouldn't go near an Orthodox church because of everything I've read.  Sometimes, the Orthodox speak to and about Catholics in a way that is hostile.  I've encountered a few Eastern Orthodox online who speak to me as if I personally am responsible for the political injustices between the East and West.  I just laugh at them, but I sure don't want to meet anyone like that in person if I can help it.  I don't need to try and own up to someone else's wrongdoings, as I have plenty of my own.  Some seem to constantly look down their nose at everything dealing with the Latin Rite, whether it be their theology, spirituality, or cultural traditions.  I don't sneer at other rites' traditions and spirituality, and others who do it in front of me generally don't win me over.  Blogs and forums, particularly CAF, seem to have an unhealthy dose of trolls who denigrate celibate clergy, the rosary, statues, and even the Traditional Latin Mass.  They ridicule Latin spirituality, especially scholasticism, as though it is somehow inferior and are all too eager to embrace the Nouvelle Theology, much of which likely falls under the banner of modernism.

All that being said, I do wish I could grow a really big beard and sing in a really deep Bass voice.
My best friend in high schools father was a Greek Orthodox priest. I used to attend Devine Liturgy (only if I attended Mass first) once in awhile. I never really noticed any hostiliy, but we never talked about religion. Now I wonder what his dad thought. But it really doesn't matter. I have great memories. I loved going to St Johns Greek Orthodox Church.
Pages: 1 2