FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can I Attend My Uncle's Wedding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The wedding is a Baptist ceremony, which I know the Church has no problem with so long as we don't participate actively (no singing, no communion, etc.)

My Uncle was married before but his wife passed away.  His new soon to be wife, I am unsure if she has been married?  Is it alright for me to attend this wedding if I am unaware of her marital status.  Do I just assume she is fine and go, or do I not attend?
(11-30-2017, 11:01 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]The wedding is a Baptist ceremony, which I know the Church has no problem with so long as we don't participate actively (no singing, no communion, etc.)

My Uncle was married before but his wife passed away.  His new soon to be wife, I am unsure if she has been married?  Is it alright for me to attend this wedding if I am unaware of her marital status.  Do I just assume she is fine and go, or do I not attend?

Are either of them Catholic?  If so, I would not attend, as the marriage would likely be invalid because of lack of form. If not, it’s probably fine.
As far as I am aware, neither of them are Catholic (I think my Uncle is a Baptist preacher, and I know he was born in the Baptist Church).

I know absolutely nothing about his fiancee.
(11-30-2017, 01:50 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I am aware, neither of them are Catholic (I think my Uncle is a Baptist preacher, and I know he was born in the Baptist Church).

If either of them are Catholic, they would need a proper dispensation from the local bishop for the marriage to be valid.  I know all about this because I, myself, married my wife in a Baptist Church. 

If they are both Baptists, then there marriage is perfectly valid even without any dispensation from the Catholic Church.  The Church holds all marriages between Protestants to be valid. 

I see no reason why you couldn't attend.  The marriage is still valid.  It may be in a sect contrary to the True Roman Catholic religion, but it would still be a Sacramental marriage if between two Protestants.
(11-30-2017, 02:20 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2017, 01:50 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I am aware, neither of them are Catholic (I think my Uncle is a Baptist preacher, and I know he was born in the Baptist Church).

If either of them are Catholic, they would need a proper dispensation from the local bishop for the marriage to be valid.  I know all about this because I, myself, married my wife in a Baptist Church. 

If they are both Baptists, then there marriage is perfectly valid even without any dispensation from the Catholic Church.  The Church holds all marriages between Protestants to be valid. 

I see no reason why you couldn't attend.  The marriage is still valid.  It may be in a sect contrary to the True Roman Catholic religion, but it would still be a Sacramental marriage if between two Protestants.
The only time a Catholic can enter a protestant church is for a wedding or funeral but the Catholic can never receive their false communion.

Since they are non Catholics they marriage would be accepted by the Church
(11-30-2017, 02:20 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I see no reason why you couldn't attend.  The marriage is still valid.  It may be in a sect contrary to the True Roman Catholic religion, but it would still be a Sacramental marriage if between two Protestants.

Unless she's previously been married and it hasn't been annulled, which it probably wouldn't be, if they're both Baptist.

But the Church presumes validity, so I'd think it would be okay to attend, since he doesn't know whether she's been divorced or not. The uncle's free to remarry, since his former wife is deceased.
(11-30-2017, 02:39 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2017, 02:20 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I see no reason why you couldn't attend.  The marriage is still valid.  It may be in a sect contrary to the True Roman Catholic religion, but it would still be a Sacramental marriage if between two Protestants.

Unless she's previously been married and it hasn't been annulled, which it probably wouldn't be, if they're both Baptist.

But the Church presumes validity, so I'd think it would be okay to attend, since he doesn't know whether she's been divorced or not. The uncle's free to remarry, since his former wife is deceased.

Right right, I forgot about whether the the bride had been previously married.  That would definitely be a reason not to attend, if that were found to be true. 

But, if she's a Baptist, I find that hard to believe, truthfully.  Most Baptists I've met are VERY serious on the matter that marriage is FOR LIFE.  Actually, I highly doubt they could ever belong as members of the local Baptist Church if it were known they were attempting an adulterous union.