FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Something strange is happening when I receive Holy Communion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Both yesterday and today during mass, when I received Holy Communion, something strange happened. The first time this happened, I got bombarded with thoughts of doubt and I really struggled. The second time, today, when I received Holy Communion, I got bombarded with feelings of anxiousness and scrupulosity. I'm wondering, am I being stripped of my consolations and advancing in my spiritual life? Or is something else happening that I should be concerned about?

What is your take on this? Is this good, bad, or something I should ignore?
(11-30-2017, 04:57 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]Both yesterday and today during mass, when I received Holy Communion, something strange happened. The first time this happened, I got bombarded with thoughts of doubt and I really struggled. The second time, today, when I received Holy Communion, I got bombarded with feelings of anxiousness and scrupulosity. I'm wondering, am I being stripped of my consolations and advancing in my spiritual life? Or is something else happening that I should be concerned about?

Sounds like anxiety, plain and simple.  You're fixated on trying to make sure everything is perfect before you receive Communion, and then all the anxieties start flooding in.  It's a moment that means a LOT to you, and as a result your mind plays a trick on you that you DON'T care, or AREN'T FIT to partake.  When you have those thoughts, say to yourself "I don't need everything to be perfect to love God", and then pray the Jesus prayer.
(11-30-2017, 04:57 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]Both yesterday and today during mass, when I received Holy Communion, something strange happened. The first time this happened, I got bombarded with thoughts of doubt and I really struggled. The second time, today, when I received Holy Communion, I got bombarded with feelings of anxiousness and scrupulosity. I'm wondering, am I being stripped of my consolations and advancing in my spiritual life? Or is something else happening that I should be concerned about?

This sounds like a typical tactic of the devil trying to disturb your soul and keep you from communions. 

If you are not conscious of any grave sin you have not yet confessed, then you should despise these worries and doubts.

God often does strip us of consolations and permit such temptations or simply dryness of soul for several reasons, the most common of which are : (1) To strip us of our attachment to consolations and help us purify our motive, (2) As a punishment for our infidelity to his grace, (3) As a way of helping us to make up for past sins by struggling against these temptations.

Ignore it, and just keep on trying to live a good Christian life. Ask God to give you take away whatever temptations are not good for your salvation and to give you whatever consolations are good for your salvation, then leave it there.