FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How should I interact with other Catholics now that I am attending SSPX officially?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just went to my first SSPX-led Mass this past Sunday.  It was perfect and everything I hoped it would be.  

However, I think I've been naive.  I did not expect the unbridled hate I've been receiving since I've made it known, or attempted to discuss, the fact that I am attending a parish led by the SSPX.  Not really here, but in real life and any other place online I discuss this topic.  The screeching about HERETIC and SCHISM is what really gets under my skin.  I don't care if someone doesn't like the SSPX, but the categorical refusal to acknowledge ambiguity on the issue is borderline unbearable to me.

Should I just endure this, or is there some magic bullet way for me to talk to other Catholics about this without causing Protestant-tier shutdowns and shrieking?
(12-11-2017, 12:57 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Just went to my first SSPX-led Mass this past Sunday.  It was perfect and everything I hoped it would be.  

However, I think I've been naive.  I did not expect the unbridled hate I've been receiving since I've made it known, or attempted to discuss, the fact that I am attending a parish led by the SSPX.  Not really here, but in real life and any other place online I discuss this topic.  The screeching about HERETIC and SCHISM is what really gets under my skin.  I don't care if someone doesn't like the SSPX, but the categorical refusal to acknowledge ambiguity on the issue is borderline unbearable to me.

Should I just endure this, or is there some magic bullet way for me to talk to other Catholics about this without causing Protestant-tier shutdowns and shrieking?

The magic bullet is to simply try and converse with the other person who abhors the SSPX and educate them on any of their misunderstandings with reason and charity.  You can try and throw out a polemical argument, but it is only going to further cement their views of the SSPX and those that attend the SSPX.  If you wish to change people's minds about the SSPX, you need to take their views into account and then address each of them separately.

For example:

Argument:   The SSPX is in schism!
Response:   Actually they accept Pope Francis as the legitimate vicar of Christ.  They are simply in a confused non-canonical status that many in the Vatican are confused about because while they possess all the Sacraments and Apostolic Succession, and teach all the dogmas and tenants of the Catholic Faith.  They have disagreements with the handling of the New Mass, certain sections within certain documents of the Second Vatican Council.  The Vatican does not reject the SSPX, but it is merely trying to reconcile the differences.

Counter-Argument:  But Bishop X said they were!
Counter-Response:   I'm sure they did, but you know as well as I do that one bishop does not necessarily speak for the whole Church.  The Pontifical Comission Ecclesia Dei, which was setup under PJPII to deal with the SSPX, has declared that they are not in schism, and both Pope Benedict and Francis confirmed the PCED's sayings.
I would do what Austen says. I honestly prefer to avoid the whole thing altogether and I luckily have been able to do such.  I attend one of their chapels weekly, and I haven't run into problems with other Catholics yet except for one fellow, but he was an exception and stuffed his ears when I tried to explain the situation to him.  Some people you just can't reason with.
I used to be in a big Facebook group of traditional Catholics. When I said I went to a couple of SSPX masses, I got criticized and insulted both by laymen and by a few priests. Some called me a heretic and a schismatic, others said that I was being disobedient to my bishop because he did not allow those masses to be held. I tried explaining my bishop has been ignoring the request based on Summorum Pontificorum for a mass for over 2 years and I have no other choice. 

I tried explaining SSPX is not in schism by showing them documents from the Ecclesia Dei and so on. I tried to explain V2 deeply troubles me and a priest told me ''kids in my local parish understand the hermeneutics of continuity, yet you do not'' and so on. Others said their confessions and masses were invalid, etc. Trying to reason with them bore no fruit so just ignore them. People are quick to call you disobedient, yet they have no problem with things they should have problems with. Some criticize those problems, but still act like they don't exist.

Recently, the only SSPX chapel in my country moved to a location that is very hard to get to via public transportation so I can't really go anymore, it would take me a few hours just to commute there.
I wouldn’t have mentioned going to the SSPX at all. I wouldn’t exactly hide it, as it’s not a shameful thing, but there is plenty of controversy in life that cannot be avoided, why stir it up unnecessarily?

If you want to go to the SSPX, go. I would, if it wasn’t so far away.

Some things you will never find at the SSPX:

Altar girls
Communion in the hand
Effeminate sermons that have a materialistic view of “the poor”
Collections for CRS, CCHD, and other fruitless endeavors of the USCCB
Dynamic Catholic and other junk catechetical programs
Heretical or banal music from the 80’s that old ladies insist that this is what young people want
The one Latin Mass being scheduled at a horrible time
(12-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn’t have mentioned going to the SSPX at all. I wouldn’t exactly hide it, as it’s not a shameful thing, but there is plenty of controversy in life that cannot be avoided, why stir it up unnecessarily?

If you want to go to the SSPX, go. I would, if it wasn’t so far away.

Some things you will never find at the SSPX:

Altar girls
Communion in the hand
Effeminate sermons that have a materialistic view of “the poor”
Collections for CRS, CCHD, and other fruitless endeavors of the USCCB
Dynamic Catholic and other junk catechetical programs
Heretical or banal music from the 80’s that old ladies insist that this is what young people want
The one Latin Mass being scheduled at a horrible time

It was an otherworldly experience last Sunday when I went to my first SSPX Mass.  It wasn't some overly emotional transcendent thing, although parts of it almost moved me to tears; however, there was an overwhelming sense of peace and familiarity to me, like I was recovering something that I had lost, despite the experience being (generally) new to me.  I have attended other Latin Masses in the NO and EF, and I've attended a couple Orthodox Masses.  But something this time was different.
(12-11-2017, 09:55 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]It was an otherworldly experience last Sunday when I went to my first SSPX Mass.  It wasn't some overly emotional transcendent thing, although parts of it almost moved me to tears; however, there was an overwhelming sense of peace and familiarity to me, like I was recovering something that I had lost, despite the experience being (generally) new to me.  I have attended other Latin Masses in the NO and EF, and I've attended a couple Orthodox Masses.  But something this time was different.

I am glad to hear that for you, ICT.  Count yourself as blessed to have an unquestionably holy mass in your proximity.  Many of us do not have that option and we are spiritually starving.
(12-12-2017, 09:18 AM)BC Wrote: [ -> ]Count yourself as blessed to have an unquestionably holy mass in your proximity.  Many of us do not have that option and we are spiritually starving.

Dittos

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Most of my friends in the TLM community have no problems with people who attend SSPX masses. The day may come in the near future when many of us might be attending mass there as well. Several dioceses plan to downsize considerably in the coming years, and that doesn't sound good for parishes with a TLM.
Except SSPX isn't rapidly expanding to fill the void. So some of us Catholics are screwed.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2