FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Does attending Mass tonight (Saturday)and tom. night (SUN) fulfiill both obligations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
5 PM tonight
7 tomorrow night
Does that fulfill both?
(12-23-2017, 12:05 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]5 PM tonight
7 tomorrow night
Does that fulfill both?

I'm actually attending 3 (Latin Mass at 9 tomorrow).  It's my wife I'm wondering about
7 tomorrow night
Does that fulfill both?

If the 5pm is the Sunday Vigil and 7pm is a Vigil Christmas Mass, then Yes.
(12-23-2017, 01:26 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
7 tomorrow night
Does that fulfill both?

That isn't even required.  They could both be Sunday Masses and fulfil both obligations, or one be Christmas and the other for the Saturday and still fulfil the obligations.  The propers / readings at the Mass are irrelevant to the matter of fulfilling the obligation to hear Mass.
(12-23-2017, 01:26 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]
7 tomorrow night
Does that fulfill both?

I think it's worth mentioning that you should attend the early vigil Mass only if you cannot make it to Mass on Sunday or Christmas Day (or midnight Mass).  These early vigil Masses are meant for nurses, police officers, etc., who cannot make it to Mass due to the nature of their work or other extenuating circumstances.
You have to attend two Masses - one Mass, one obligation - but the propers don't matter. I agree with avoiding vigil Masses if possible, but there's not a requirement that you have a good reason to go the day before.