FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prof who refuses to use gender pronouns points to Catholicism as bulwark against extr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From LifeSite News

TORONTO, November 17, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Embattled Canadian free speech advocate and self-avowed political correctness opponent Jordan Peterson describes the Catholic Church as one of Western culture’s primary bulwarks against ideological extremism.

A well-known University of Toronto psychology professor, Peterson has challenged human rights laws and regulations as well as his university’s policies requiring the use of new pronouns  demanded by people claiming to belong to one or many of the 50-plus new genders promoted by gender theory.

Peterson has refused to comply based on three grounds: there is no scientific evidence that any genders exist outside of male and female; there are too many new genders and pronouns like “zer” and “xe” to remember; and the requirement to use them is a huge imposition on freedom of thought and speech.

In a wide-ranging exclusive interview with LifeSiteNews, Peterson said religion in general and Catholicism in particular stand as a perpetual bulwark against ideologies of the political left or right, which is why the Catholic Church is under now attack by those ideologies — along with Dr. Peterson himself.

“The Catholic Church warns us against the danger posed by the un-moored rational mind,” said Peterson, who would not reveal his own religious beliefs. He added that religions in general provide a “balanced” and complete understanding of reality, while ideologies such as Fascism or Marxism (which he says lies at the root of gender theory) present a very narrow understanding.

Peterson said 19th century German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche intended his statement, “God is dead,” as a warning against the atheism and nihilism of the Western intelligentsia. “When they lost faith in God, Marxism and then Nazism moved in to fill the void,” he told LifeSite.

The target of Peterson’s controversial YouTube videos — the mandatory acceptance of gender theory and polygender names and pronouns — is just the latest product of nihilism, he said.

Peterson has been accused of hate speech and asked to stop talking about gender by his university. He also has been shouted down at a free speech rally. But he has vowed to continue his campaign against mandatory polygenderism even if it leads to jail.

If he is called before the Ontario Human Rights Commission, he told LifeSiteNews that he would refuse to appear.

Peterson, an expert on the psychology of religion, is not a reductionist who believes his field says everything there is to know about it. That is an ideologue’s approach. Ideologies only describe part of reality but claim to tell it all, he says.

For Nazism, race is all that matters about a person. For Marxism, it is one’s relation to the “factors of production.” For gender and feminists, “It is about power.” One of today’s prevailing ideologies is environmentalism. “It depicts man as a corrupter and destroyer of nature and Western culture as pathological,” Peterson said. Political correctness is an expression of Marxism, depicting people as either victims or predators.

“Christianity tells a complete, balanced story. It describes humans as neither good nor bad, but capable of good and evil,” he said. “Nature brings pain and suffering but is the source of life.”

While ideology is the product of human thought — “un-moored reason,” Peterson believes  religion evolved as human beings developed self-consciousness. Indeed, he believes the Biblical description of Adam and Eve acquiring the knowledge of good and evil is about how humans came to realize their own morality and vulnerability — and quickly put this knowledge to use manipulating and terrorizing others. “Animals do not torture each other,” he noted.

“One way to look at ideology is as an assault on the Logos,” he said, noting that Christians identify the Logos with Christ. “The Logos is the principle that brings order out of the chaos.” It also means absolute truth, but ideologies such as Nazism or Marxism do not believe there is even such as thing as truth. They will claim to be true whatever serves the cause of their ideology. “The Soviet Union was built on lies,” Peterson said.
Peterson bristles at the suggestion that religion is an ideology. “Anyone who says that doesn’t know anything about religion or ideology. “
If I could like this post twice I would. Like yourself, I have been following him since all the self identification gender ideology nonsense first started.  You’re not a victim, life is hard, pick up your cross and bear it. 

“The darker the night, the brighter the stars,
The deeper the grief, the closer is god”

Doestoevksy

I am not a philosopher, I have all of 4 months of classical logic and ethics (a pittance), and only because it was a necessity to graduate. When I listen to him, and I understand the decades it took him to come to his conclusions (if he actually has), I realize how much science has not shown me, and never will.
It's amazing how the likes of Jordan Peterson and sodomite public heckler Milo Yianananananapolis both on separate sides of the spectrum and yet on the same side against the Modern-Left leviathan, both point to the Catholic Church without actually seeking to become members.

Another note it is also amazing how Peterson effectively echos the exact same argument Catholic thinker E. Michael Jones has been plugging for decades about Logos.

Praise be to God that I know now in the few years of being a Catholic, that took Mr. Jordan Peterson (a man of immensely greater intellect, intelligence, and stamina) decades to figure out.
(01-17-2018, 01:25 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]It's amazing how the likes of Jordan Peterson and sodomite public heckler Milo Yianananananapolis both on separate sides of the spectrum and yet on the same side against the Modern-Left leviathan, both point to the Catholic Church without actually seeking to become members.

Another note it is also amazing how Peterson effectively echos the exact same argument Catholic thinker E. Michael Jones has been plugging for decades about Logos.

Praise be to God that I know now in the few years of being a Catholic, that took Mr. Jordan Peterson (a man of immensely greater intellect, intelligence, and stamina) decades to figure out.

Well said, and worth noting.
A few things:

First, Jovan, my buddy, my pal, I'm hoping I can get you to increase the size of the fonts you're using to post lately. I fixed the font size in your post in this thread, but lately your posts are coming out with teeny-tiny fonts that are too small to read. After you post text, just select it all with a right-click and then click the second "A" button -- the one with the red vertical line next to it -- and click 4 for a good size font.

Now, as to Peterson, I've been paying close attention to him ever since he showed up on the scene. He is a fascinating man, very learned, and a true wordsmith. My understanding, though, is that there's more to his "gender pronoun issue" than this:

Quote:Peterson has refused to comply based on three grounds: there is no scientific evidence that any genders exist outside of male and female; there are too many new genders and pronouns like “zer” and “xe” to remember; and the requirement to use them is a huge imposition on freedom of thought and speech.

The above points reflect his position, but he got famous for refusing to comply with laws that compel speech. That was the main point -- the reason he became such a focal point for all this stuff. It's one thing to for a law to say what you can't say (e.g., screaming "Fire!" in a crowded theater); it's another for the law to force you to say things.

I still haven't listened to all of his "Psychological Significance of the Bible Stories" series yet, but have that on my list of things to do. I imagine he'd assert a number of things that most here wouldn't agree with, but I do believe he is a naturally virtuous person and a force for good. I've seen -- many, many, many times -- stone-cold atheists start to back up and re-think their animosity toward religion and the religious. He's talked about how he's heard a number of them begin to refer to themselves as "Christian atheists," by which they seem to mean that they now at least understand the importance of religion and Christian morality, and that they've dropped their nasty attitudes toward them because of that new understanding. That is a great thing. Also great is that Peterson emphasizes virtue, responsibility, honesty, etc., and is helping to bring back literally thousands of people, esp. young men, from the brinks of nihilism, fascism, and Leftism.

He "gets to God" in a very unique way, while accepting Darwinian-style evolution (as opposed to the mechanisms of "evolution" that any sane, knowledgeable person has to accept). Two of his videos on that, for those interested, are here:

Not how I think, but interesting nonetheless, and a huge step up from the materialism that abounds out there.
(01-17-2018, 04:58 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]A few things:

First, Jovan, my buddy, my pal, I'm hoping I can get you to increase the size of the fonts you're using to post lately. I fixed the font size in your post in this thread, but lately your posts are coming out with teeny-tiny fonts that are too small to read. After you post text, just select it all with a right-click and then click the second "A" button -- the one with the red vertical line next to it -- and click 4 for a good size font.
No problem. I've been setting the fonts at type size at 2 on posts I've copied. I'll start setting it at 4.
I have enjoyed Peterson and much of what he says.  I'm grateful he is a good and strong proponent of free speech.

Two concepts he has have jumped out at me though:

1.  We must embrace the evil within us to balance the good.

2.  The serpent opened the eyes of Adam and Eve because they could not see before.

I'm not well versed and am only beginning to understand it, but this to me sounds like Kabbalah.

Instead of "embracing the evil within us" why not just exercise virtue.  Virtue can be courageous enough to fight when necessary without being evil.

In Kabbalah, the serpent is the friend of mankind who opened his eyes so he could become like God.  They were missing something before that the serpent helped them to find.
(01-17-2018, 05:24 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: [ -> ]I have enjoyed Peterson and much of what he says.  I'm grateful he is a good and strong proponent of free speech.

2.  The serpent opened the eyes of Adam and Eve because they could not see before.

I'm not well versed and am only beginning to understand it, but this to me sounds like Kabbalah.

Instead of "embracing the evil within us" why not just exercise virtue.  Virtue can be courageous enough to fight when necessary without being evil.

In Kabbalah, the serpent is the friend of mankind who opened his eyes so he could become like God.  They were missing something before that the serpent helped them to find.

Peterson isn't saying we should "embrace evil" in any sense of doing evil; he is saying that we must face our shadow and be brutally honest with ourselves, face our fears, realize our sinful inclinations, etc., and recognize that concupiscence and tendency toward evil are a part of who we are as human beings. It has nothing to do with Kabbalah at all. And he's constantly "preaching" virtue; that's mostly what he does.
(01-17-2018, 10:00 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 05:24 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: [ -> ]I have enjoyed Peterson and much of what he says.  I'm grateful he is a good and strong proponent of free speech.

Peterson isn't saying we should "embrace evil" in any sense of doing evil; he is saying that we must face our shadow and be brutally honest with ourselves, face our fears, realize our sinful inclinations, etc., and recognize that concupiscence and tendency toward evil are a part of who we are as human beings. It has nothing to do with Kabbalah at all. And he's constantly "preaching" virtue; that's mostly what he does.

In the words of the ancient Greeks "Know thyself."
(01-17-2018, 01:25 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]It's amazing how the likes of Jordan Peterson and sodomite public heckler Milo Yianananananapolis both on separate sides of the spectrum and yet on the same side against the Modern-Left leviathan, both point to the Catholic Church without actually seeking to become members.

Milo is actually Catholic. Just a Catholic who cannot control his gayness. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be in a rush to correct that issue.

https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...e-to-print
Pages: 1 2