FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Chevalier Charles Coulombe on Weirdo Trad Parishes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A great video, just released today!

I also think the trad "movement" tends to attract introverted intellectual types, and a large sub-set of introverted intellectual types can be low-empathy sorts. Add to that the appeal of Tradition to those who are fed up with the existential Hell that is modern life, and you get lots of fearful, angry, "living in their heads" types who embrace overly rigid black-or-white thinking that can lack subtlety and nuance. Things are so wacky in the world these days, and some people mentally backlash in a big way, demanding order and clear boundaries for every little thing. The extreme of that can lead to this sort of thing, found in a post on a trad forum:

Quote:My husband and I simply can't stand it anymore, and it is seriously damaging our faith. I've mentioned a few of the things on here before (the "Victorian Men" proposing marriage to my infant daughter and women castigating me for laying my daughter on her back to sleep), but it just keeps getting worse.

For instance, recently a married couple was basically driven from the chapel by some members because they were midgets (dwarfism). Some of the people in the chapel said that such ailments were evidence of "satanic blood" or other such nonsense, and said they should not be allowed at Mass.

My husband was rebuked after Mass a few of weeks ago because he was wearing a blue shirt (he had a suit and tie on, the shirt was light blue). He was told that it was insulting to the Lord to wear anything less than "very formal" at Mass, which apparently means a white shirt.

The straw that broke the camel's back however, was this past Sunday. My husband and I had a few people over for dinner, after Mass. We cooked Mexican food. One woman asked whether we routinely cook the food of "other nationalities." We said yes, and that [we] enjoy a variety of foods. She said that we were in danger of become "liberal blood traitors," (whatever that means) and that our daughter will likely have a "poor upbringing" because of it. She then left without eating.

I simply can't stand all the superstitious and un-Catholic behavior that is going on. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Faith, and in my opinion, a lot of it is contrary to the Faith. I dread the loss of the Sacraments, however, and the next-nearest traditional chapel is some 5 hours away (one-way). I worry about my daughter. I worry about her not having access to the Sacraments, but I also worry about the influence some of these people may have on her.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the essentials of the Faith that are preached and taught by Father; the problem is the congregation. And, only a minority of the congregation, but a very vocal minority. Father seems to be either unwilling or unable to do anything about it, because these issues have been brought to him many times.

Sad, sad, sad. And extremely frustrating.
(01-17-2018, 10:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I also think the trad "movement" tends to attract introverted intellectual types, and a large sub-set of introverted intellectual types can be low-empathy sorts. Add to that the appeal of Tradition to those who are fed up with the existential Hell that is modern life, and you get lots of fearful, angry, "living in their heads" types who embrace overly rigid black-or-white thinking that can lack subtlety and nuance. Things are so wacky in the world these days, and some people mentally backlash in a big way, demanding order and clear boundaries for every little thing. The extreme of that can lead to this sort of thing, found in a post on a trad forum:

Quote:My husband and I simply can't stand it anymore, and it is seriously damaging our faith. I've mentioned a few of the things on here before (the "Victorian Men" proposing marriage to my infant daughter and women castigating me for laying my daughter on her back to sleep), but it just keeps getting worse.

For instance, recently a married couple was basically driven from the chapel by some members because they were midgets (dwarfism). Some of the people in the chapel said that such ailments were evidence of "satanic blood" or other such nonsense, and said they should not be allowed at Mass.

My husband was rebuked after Mass a few of weeks ago because he was wearing a blue shirt (he had a suit and tie on, the shirt was light blue). He was told that it was insulting to the Lord to wear anything less than "very formal" at Mass, which apparently means a white shirt.

The straw that broke the camel's back however, was this past Sunday. My husband and I had a few people over for dinner, after Mass. We cooked Mexican food. One woman asked whether we routinely cook the food of "other nationalities." We said yes, and that [we] enjoy a variety of foods. She said that we were in danger of become "liberal blood traitors," (whatever that means) and that our daughter will likely have a "poor upbringing" because of it. She then left without eating.

I simply can't stand all the superstitious and un-Catholic behavior that is going on. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Faith, and in my opinion, a lot of it is contrary to the Faith. I dread the loss of the Sacraments, however, and the next-nearest traditional chapel is some 5 hours away (one-way). I worry about my daughter. I worry about her not having access to the Sacraments, but I also worry about the influence some of these people may have on her.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the essentials of the Faith that are preached and taught by Father; the problem is the congregation. And, only a minority of the congregation, but a very vocal minority. Father seems to be either unwilling or unable to do anything about it, because these issues have been brought to him many times.

Wow that's freaky and pathetically sad. It seems that the Church is already in a Schism, where the extremes of both groups split off into either Pelegianist-Barrolltian-Modernism in the NO and into Donatist-Manichean-Jansenism in the Trad circles.

It's pathetically sad that Francis is Pope. God surely must be chastising us. We no longer have a shepherd guarding us against either of these extremes, nor addressing these new hybrid heresies...but is acting more like a heretic, casting his lot into the liberal side of the neo-Pelegianist-Modernist crowd.

I only have myself to blame for failing to pray and fast.
(01-17-2018, 10:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I also think the trad "movement" tends to attract introverted intellectual types, and a large sub-set of introverted intellectual types can be low-empathy sorts. Add to that the appeal of Tradition to those who are fed up with the existential Hell that is modern life, and you get lots of fearful, angry, "living in their heads" types who embrace overly rigid black-or-white thinking that can lack subtlety and nuance. Things are so wacky in the world these days, and some people mentally backlash in a big way, demanding order and clear boundaries for every little thing. The extreme of that can lead to this sort of thing, found in a post on a trad forum:

Okay, I'll bite: why would women castigate a mother for laying a child on that child's back to sleep? Isn't that the best position to help reduce the chance of SIDS?
I've thankfully never witnessed anything like this. Heck, I usually dress business casual (dressy pants, collared shirt, dressy shoes) rather than in a suit for Mass and I've never had anyone say something negative to me about it. Maybe in the northeast things are different? I don't know. Then again, I typically don't really mingle too much with people after Mass. 

I think some people tend to go overboard with some stuff that has nothing to do with faith as a backlash to everything that's happened in the past 50 years. I personally can't stand the big deal that everyone makes about how people dress. As long as you are dressed modestly and at least somewhat more formal than what you normally wear then who cares? Some people maybe only have one suit and don't want to have to worry about getting it dry cleaned every time they go to Mass if they get it dirty. I know I tend to get dirty quite easily.
(01-17-2018, 08:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]A great video, just released today!

As a side note, these small videos are all part of the full videos that are released each Monday  Big Grin.
(01-18-2018, 01:00 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2018, 08:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]A great video, just released today!

As a side note, these small videos are all part of the full videos that are released each Monday  Big Grin.
Oh, I know, but I figure people are more likely to watch a short video than an hour and a half 'Off the Menu'. Big Grin

That sounds more like the racial, ethnic and anti-Catholic bigotry of American Protestantism (which spawned the KKK—which was not merely anti-Black, but also anti-Catholic) and not traditional Catholicism :

Quote:For as many of you as have been baptized in Christ, have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you be Christ's, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise. (Gal 3.27 ff.)
Which is precisely why Catholic missionaries went all over the world, sacrificing even their lives to bring people into the Church, the great equalizer.

Freaks. When you're a traditional Catholic, living in the right location is such a blessing.

Thanks for sharing, Jovan. I'll have to check out this guy's channel. Looks interesting.
Pages: 1 2 3