FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are American Bishops even aware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I just came out of a Pontifical Mass with my bishop, the Bishop of Baker. I proceeded to genuflect on my left knee and said "May I kiss your episcopal ring, Your Excellency." He then just gave me a blessing and asked if we had met before. He must not have heard me, because he even asked my name and I had to repeat myself. But, shouldn't it just be obvious to them that some people are going to want to genuflect and kiss their episcopal ring? 

I hear people say "Oh yeah, I always kiss a bishop's ring." I'm like, how? I guess what you have to do is ask in a somewhat loud voice if you can kiss their ring, lol.
Nope. As he goes to shake your hand, you drop to one knee, turn his hand, and kiss his ring. Then it's a good idea to move rapidly, in case he brings his hand up and clonks you with the ring. LOL

Seriously, that's what I've done in the past. Probably didn't make any liberal Episcopal friends doing it, but, oh well! I honour the Office not the Man.
(01-20-2018, 03:25 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. As he goes to shake your hand, you drop to one knee, turn his hand, and kiss his ring. Then it's a good idea to move rapidly, in case he brings his hand up and clonks you with the ring. LOL

Seriously, that's what I've done in the past. Probably didn't make any liberal Episcopal friends doing it, but, oh well! I honour the Office not the Man.

Sounds about what you have to do.  Big Grin 

I've only been in the presence of the Bishop of Yakima, the Bishop of Baker, and a Bishop Emeritus of a couple different dioceses. I bowed in order to kiss the ring of the Bishop of Yakima, but I wasn't forcefull about it so he just gave me a limpfish handshake.
Keep in mind that kissing a ring is a custom that is completely foreign to the culture this side of the Atlantic. As honorable as your intentions were, it was probably mostly an awkward invasion of personal space for the bishop.
It was standard before the Council and I've never known even a conservative bishop to take offence. It is no more an invasion of personal space than a handshake.
(01-20-2018, 04:36 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that kissing a ring is a custom that is completely foreign to the culture this side of the Atlantic. As honorable as your intentions were, it was probably mostly an awkward invasion of personal space for the bishop.

Then he shouldn't be a bishop. You are a bishop, a prince of the Church; with it comes great privilege and dreadful responsibilities. Besides kissing a ring should remind the bishop that you are a humble member of his flock.

Anyone who is in the presence of their bishop, should gently remind them the custom that Christ, our Sovereign King, hath declared that by His Authority, the man who stands before you, be made a prince of the Church, and thereby the layman, echoing the humility of David to King Saul, gives proper dues to the Lord's anointed.
(01-20-2018, 03:53 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2018, 03:25 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. As he goes to shake your hand, you drop to one knee, turn his hand, and kiss his ring. Then it's a good idea to move rapidly, in case he brings his hand up and clonks you with the ring. LOL

Sounds about what you have to do.  Big Grin 

I've only been in the presence of the Bishop of Yakima, the Bishop of Baker, and a Bishop Emeritus of a couple different dioceses. I bowed in order to kiss the ring of the Bishop of Yakima, but I wasn't forcefull about it so he just gave me a limpfish handshake.

(01-20-2018, 04:36 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that kissing a ring is a custom that is completely foreign to the culture this side of the Atlantic. As honorable as your intentions were, it was probably mostly an awkward invasion of personal space for the bishop.

Not according to Archbishop Rummel. I know of someone he slapped really hard because they didn't know that they were supposed to genuflect and kiss his ring.