FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What -exactly- does Apostolic Succession guarantee or protect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got into a debate a couple days ago about this and to be honest it threw me a bit.  Outside of apostolic succession ensuring the valid ordination of priests, what does it do?  What is its utility to the layman?  There seems to be the assertion among the Church Fathers that it provides a guarantee of being taught the true faith, free from error.  However, the current situation in the Church seems to prove to me that this is demonstrably false.  Am I misunderstanding the character of apostolic succession?
(01-27-2018, 11:13 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]I got into a debate a couple days ago about this and to be honest it threw me a bit.  Outside of apostolic succession ensuring the valid ordination of priests, what does it do?  What is its utility to the layman?  There seems to be the assertion among the Church Fathers that it provides a guarantee of being taught the true faith, free from error.  However, the current situation in the Church seems to prove to me that this is demonstrably false.  Am I misunderstanding the character of apostolic succession?

Apostolic succession ensures the ability to ordain and consecrate, which is no trivial matter. It is a part of the functioning of the Church’s indefectibility, which preserves the Church from error. We must take care, however, that we do not consider that which is a part of something to be the whole.
Considering the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox can both claim Apostolic succession, I would guess that protection from error is not part of it. The main thing is ordination and a guarantee of valid Sacraments. I guess if one is more ecumenical, they can possibly argue that in spite of schism and heresy those Churches are still part of the universal Church, just in an irregular/broken relationship.
Valid sacraments.

Definitely not protection from error.