FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: If choosing the popes are guided by the holy spirit...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If the choosing of popes is guided by the holy spirit, how on earth did cardinal sarah/burke not get elected?

Now were stuck with some Argentinian heretic who likes tango themes masses (see video on youtube)
I don’t think the Holy Spirit actively chooses every pope. All we know is that He allows that man to be pope. Sometimes, maybe, the Holy Spirit chooses the pope. Other times the Holy Spirit May allow the cardinals to make their own choice. And it’s seems possible that sometimes the Holy Spirit allows them 
to “get what they ask for” even if that candidate isn’t the best pope.
The Holy Ghost is God, and God is merciful, as well as just.  It could very well be that God did not so much desire as permit (probably with a sorrowful heart and a stern face) that Bergoglio became the Pope. And if that is so, then Francis is not so much the Pope the Church needed, but rather is the Pope the Church deserved.  I really believe his papacy is a punishment from God, looking at the fruits of it all.  We should offer Masses for him, for his conversion, as well as all clergy, for their conversion and orthodoxy.
If God guides the Church in the choice of popes, it would be very instructive to think of how Bergoglio became Pope:

He was elevated under Pope JPII after being seriously discouraged from doing so by Bergoglio's superior. Here, we seem to have a failure to govern, in JPII. Why did he not dig deeper? Why, in fact, did JPII fail to scrutinize the choices he was being offered all the time, for bishops, etc. Too much time spent in the spotlight, not enough time spent doing homework. . . .

Then we get a conclave, and God guided those cardinals, sent them graces of wisdom. But the cardinals are free to act on those graces or not. So yes, God guided, but did not force. The pope we get is a direct reflection of the quality of our cardinals.

So . . . we got what the cardinals deserved. Maybe Burke and Sarah should have been more vocal, more urgent about pressing issues during the pontificated of JP and BXVI. It certainly seems to me that back then, and now as well, many good bishops and cardinals are SO AFRAID to deal with errant cardinals and bishops that they choose to ignore these problems and instead attack the media and the secular world leaders. But they never cleaned house. They never dealt with the gorilla in the room. All the dumb talk about how evil the media are, when there should NEVER BE HERETIC CARDINALS to begin with. They were not rooted out in the pontificates of JPII and BXVI. They were like a guy with a house with a leaky foundation arguing with neighbours about property lines instead of FIXING THE FOUNDATION. 
So, I think we had bad quality cardinals, from bad quality popes in terms of government and discipline. 

And then there is the bad quality of us lay Catholics. We are not a stellar crowd, I think. All these brains and all these wise people and all these great blogs, and there is still no discernible organization of trads in the world. We are still not really connected to each other as we could and perhaps should be, whereas the liberals in the church are super-organized. And, in essence, I don't think that before Bergoglio we made our opinions known to bishops. So we got a lot of bad quality priests, and bishops, and cardinals. God gives his grace to all, but we are free to act on it or to ignore it. But this disaster will surely educate many cardinals and bishops and priests, so that in future I bet they will take their jobs of government much more seriously. If we survive this.
(02-05-2018, 09:02 PM)popeinnocent1972 Wrote: [ -> ]If the choosing of popes is guided by the holy spirit, how on earth did cardinal sarah/burke not get elected?

Now were stuck with some Argentinian heretic who likes tango themes masses (see video on youtube)

The Holy Spirit blows where it wants, not where we tell it to go.
I find the resistance to trust the Pope the problem. His decisions are revealing the prejudice against the sinners and the lack of understanding and compassion for the impetus of their ways by some of the church members. He is provoking the conscience of some in areas they felt too comfortable but are not yet committed to enough, according to the teachings of Christ. I see Pope Francis as dealing with the sins at hand , now in the environment we live in today.
1. We get the pope that we deserve
2. So that some good may arise. We may not know what now, but let this Pope be the final straw so that good men may ride up take take back the Church.

As another thought, what would have another Benedict or JPII accomplished? More of the same post-VII? Other than that you find a Pius XIII or you get a Francis. Not sure there's a Pius XIII to be found right now.
“God gives some Popes, God tolerates some Popes and God inflicts some Popes.”

-St. Vincent of Lerin

I am going to go with Francis being an infliction (assuming he is valid in the first place which I am not certain about)
(02-06-2018, 08:16 AM)dove77 Wrote: [ -> ]I find the resistance to trust the Pope the problem. His decisions are revealing the prejudice against the sinners and the lack of understanding and compassion for the impetus of their ways by some of the church members. He is provoking the conscience of some in areas they felt too comfortable but are not yet committed  to enough, according to the teachings of Christ. I see Pope Francis as dealing with the sins at hand , now in the environment we live in today.

How it is compassionate to tell people that adultery isn't really a sin, that they can receive Communion while continuing their adultery, thereby eating and drinking damnation upon themselves, and with the result that they could end up in hell? Isn't it more compassionate to tell them to quit their sins so they can get to heaven?
Quote:The most evident mark of God's anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clergy who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than charity and affection of devoted shepherds ...

When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people, and is visiting His most dreadful anger upon them. That is why He cries unceasingly to Christians, "Return O ye revolting children ... and I will give you pastors according to My own heart". (Jer. 3:14,15) Thus, irregularities in the lives of priests constitute a scourge upon the people in consequence of sin.

-St. John Eudes
Pages: 1 2