FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Praying in front of Orthodox Christian elements...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Is it OK to pray in front of Orthodox Crucifixes and icons of the "Mary, the Mother of God" in or outside Orthodox churches if you happen to pass by them while travelling or during pilgrimages or tours...? 

Also, is it OK to make use of Byzantine Christian Icons in Catholic worship...?

Thanks in advance... :)
I'm no expert, but I'd say yes to all of those question. There's a small orthodox icon of Our Lord as the Good Shepherd behind me, in the bedroom right now, that I used for that purpose at work for several years.
My Roman parish just put up a Byzantine Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in our adderation chapel. I have two Byzantine Icons blessed by a Byzantine Priest on my home alter. My Parish Priest says it's good to use Byzantine Icons and to explore the Eastern Catholic Church.
I am a Cradle Roman Catholic, but I love the Eastern Rites.
(02-07-2018, 03:47 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Is it OK to pray in front of Orthodox Crucifixes and icons of the "Mary, the Mother of God" in or outside Orthodox churches if you happen to pass by them while travelling or during pilgrimages or tours...? 

Of course.  We need to stop this nonsense of thinking of the Orthodox as being outside of the Church.  They always have been and always will be part of the Church. The fact that the Church is divided East/West, Orthodox/Catholic does not mean one is right the other wrong.  The Church was not meant to be divorced but because of our hardness we have to live with the consequences of this (what God has joined let no man tear asunder).  Remember, the Church is universal, not just Roman.
(02-07-2018, 02:47 PM)meadjodha Wrote: [ -> ]

Of course.  We need to stop this nonsense of thinking of the Orthodox as being outside of the Church.  They always have been and always will be part of the Church. The fact that the Church is divided East/West, Orthodox/Catholic does not mean one is right the other wrong.  The Church was not meant to be divorced but because of our hardness we have to live with the consequences of this (what God has joined let no man tear asunder).  Remember, the Church is universal, not just Roman.

They reject Christ's Vicar.

Therefore they reject Christ.

Therefore they reject His Church as He instituted it. Whatever they have, it is not the Church as Christ instituted it. They divided themselves from Christ's Church which was not divided until the Orthodox broke away.

They did so over political issues. That is not to say that Latins have not done a great deal to harden them in their rejection (think the Fourth Crusade). But just because of the sins of some Latins does not suddenly make their schism correct.

They left the Church by their own choice. When they are ready to leave that schism, and enter the Church the Christ founded, they are welcome. We are happy to help them.
Spot on, MM! Well and truthfully said!
(02-07-2018, 02:47 PM)meadjodha Wrote: [ -> ] Remember, the Church is universal, not just Roman.

Quite true. It encompasses many Rites East and West. Unfortunately the Orthodox are not among those Rites, and ergo, do not belong to Christ's Church.
What about the icons from the united Easter Rites of the Church?
(02-07-2018, 03:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2018, 02:47 PM)meadjodha Wrote: [ -> ]

They reject Christ's Vicar.

Therefore they reject Christ.

Therefore they reject His Church as He instituted it. Whatever they have, it is not the Church as Christ instituted it. They divided themselves from Christ's Church which was not divided until the Orthodox broke away.

They did so over political issues. That is not to say that Latins have not done a great deal to harden them in their rejection (think the Fourth Crusade). But just because of the sins of some Latins does not suddenly make their schism correct.

They left the Church by their own choice. When they are ready to leave that schism, and enter the Church the Christ founded, they are welcome. We are happy to help them.

This is the danger for some in condoning Orthdox Christian icons/crucifixes etc without communicating an understanding of "do not favor Orthodoxy or betray Catholicism".  Without doing so, people will think that the Orthodox should be justified! Silly.

They have beautiful images of the saints, though. it is true.
I have many Byzantine Catholic icons
Pages: 1 2