FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and the Zodiac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read the articles on FE about Catholicism and astrology, and while they were quite informative, I am still confused as to how Catholics should approach this subject. I was born under Virgo and the description of a Virgo person almost exactly matches my personality. Husband-to-be was born under Pisces and also resembles many of the characteristics of that sign. I know we are supposed to avoid those silly horoscopes in the paper (they are so vague anyway that they could apply to anyone!) but is it also bad to take too seriously the supposed traits of your specific zodiac and how the manifest themselves in your life?
As one who has studied astrology at the university level, let me assure you of two things, 1) a basic assumption of serious astrology is that it is not  a means of predicting the future. The 'stars impel, they do not compel'. It in no way infringes on free will. and, 2) your sun sign (i.e. 'the sign you're born under') is only a fraction of your chart or 'astrological profile'.
(02-09-2018, 01:57 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]I read the articles on FE about Catholicism and astrology, and while they were quite informative, I am still confused as to how Catholics should approach this subject. I was born under Virgo and the description of a Virgo person almost exactly matches my personality. Husband-to-be was born under Pisces and also resembles many of the characteristics of that sign. I know we are supposed to avoid those silly horoscopes in the paper (they are so vague anyway that they could apply to anyone!) but is it also bad to take too seriously the supposed traits of your specific zodiac and how the manifest themselves in your life?
Peace.....Best to turn to Christ for what you want/need and give thanks for - that is why He came to help us and bring us to Salvation.  God knows us best as scripture says: "I have counted the hairs on your head"..... :pray2:
(02-09-2018, 01:57 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]I read the articles on FE about Catholicism and astrology, and while they were quite informative, I am still confused as to how Catholics should approach this subject. I was born under Virgo and the description of a Virgo person almost exactly matches my personality. Husband-to-be was born under Pisces and also resembles many of the characteristics of that sign. I know we are supposed to avoid those silly horoscopes in the paper (they are so vague anyway that they could apply to anyone!) but is it also bad to take too seriously the supposed traits of your specific zodiac and how the manifest themselves in your life?

There's no problem in taking your horoscope seriously, in the right way. Aside from getting straight about actual Catholic thinking on the matter, the trick is knowing how to read your actual natal horoscope which, as Jovan said, is about a helluva lot more than a mere "sun sign" (in fact, your sun sign says less about you than your rising sign, and where the planets are, the houses they're in, the signs ruling the houses at that moment, the angles between the planets, etc. are all said to be relevant). Bottom line, though; ignore the newspaper astrology stuff except for a laff, as pure entertainment; it's completely meaningless.