FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Texts for the Stations of The Cross and Devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Could someone please provide  standard Traditional Catholic texts for the Stations of The Cross and Devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows...? There are multiple texts available on oodles of websites which claim that they have been traditionally practiced and that has confused me...

Thanks in advance.... :)
Fr. Chad Ripperger gives a couple of talks on Our Lady of Sorrows that are excellent!

(02-13-2018, 04:13 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Could someone please provide  standard Traditional Catholic texts for the Stations of The Cross and Devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows...? There are multiple texts available on oodles of websites which claim that they have been traditionally practiced and that has confused me...

The problem is that there are no traditional 'Traditional' texts. For instance, St Francis of Assisi and St Alphonsus Liguori, as well as many other 'Traditional' writers, wrote Stations of the Cross.

Various Orders are dedicated to the Passion and Our Lady's Sorrows, such as the Servites and the Passionists, and several of them published manuals of devotion with different prayers. I recently bought The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is a compilation of some of them.

If it is sufficiently 'pre-Conciliar' it is probably 'Traditional'. Find and use what you feel comfortable with.
(02-13-2018, 01:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that there are no traditional 'Traditional' texts. For instance, St Francis of Assisi and St Alphonsus Liguori, as well as many other 'Traditional' writers, wrote Stations of the Cross.

In fact there is no such thing as a text of the Stations of the Cross for one good reason ...

The Stations do not require any vocal prayer.

Stations of the Cross are actually the 14 blessed wooden crosses erected officially by a bishop or his delegate. It has become common to include pictures or statuary to help use these, but those are extra, and in fact without the blessed and officially erected wooden cross, there are no Stations.

The necessary action to gain the plenary indulgence is to visit the 14 wooden Crosses and at each at least mentally pray or contemplate. You do not, in fact, even have to meditation on the station itself.

That means you can do a full Stations of the Cross is about 5 minutes if you wanted, or take 2 hours. Same indulgence.

Various artists have designed artwork, and various writers texts to aid this, but that is why there is no "text".

n.b. I suspect that in many churches, the most liberal ones who don't care about the Church law, and also many "independent" traditional chapels, the Stations that are there were not erected by a bishop or with his delegation, meaning that one does not gain the Indulgence when doing the action. With the SSPX, FSSP and other traditional orders, while I am sure there are some free-wheeling priests, generally I think you could assume the Stations have been properly erected.
I like to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries when I make the Stations. And offer the Indulgence for the souls in Purgatory.
(02-13-2018, 08:29 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html has https://www.fisheaters.com/stations.html
Thanks, Vox! I use my phone as a prayerbook so I don't have to carry a half  dozen books to Church. I've got Divinum Officium and the Carmelite Little Office bookmarked, as well as the DRB, prayers before and after Mass, and lots of other stuff. Mow, I have St Alphonsus' Stations bookmarked as well!
(02-14-2018, 02:28 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2018, 08:29 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html has https://www.fisheaters.com/stations.html
Thanks, Vox! I use my phone as a prayerbook so I don't have to carry a half  dozen books to Church. I've got Divinum Officium and the Carmelite Little Office bookmarked, as well as the DRB, prayers before and after Mass, and lots of other stuff. Mow, I have St Alphonsus' Stations bookmarked as well!

I've always liked the preces-latinae website.

here is a link to their section on Stations of the Cross (looks like they have 4 versions):

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/...#ViaCrucis
(02-14-2018, 01:45 PM)StMichael929 Wrote: [ -> ]I've always liked the preces-latinae website.

here is a link to their section on Stations of the Cross (looks like they have 4 versions):

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/...#ViaCrucis

That's where I have the prayers before and after Mass bookmarked from.
(02-13-2018, 01:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2018, 04:13 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

The problem is that there are no traditional 'Traditional' texts. For instance, St Francis of Assisi and St Alphonsus Liguori, as well as many other 'Traditional' writers, wrote Stations of the Cross.

Various Orders are dedicated to the Passion and Our Lady's Sorrows, such as the Servites and the Passionists, and several of them published manuals of devotion with different prayers. I recently bought The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which is a compilation of some of them.

If it is sufficiently 'pre-Conciliar' it is probably 'Traditional'. Find and use what you feel comfortable with.

I purchased the Kindle version of "The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary"... It cost roughly $1 =  63, so quite affordable and very useful... Thanks for the suggestion...!  :)  +PAX ET BONUM+
Pages: 1 2