FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: any recommendations for a Lenten app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone using an app to guide them thru Lent? any suggestions? the local NO parish is pushing something called Best Lent Ever.. needless to say, im skeptical ..intrigued but skeptical
You might check out Formed. It's a pay site, but we have a Parish membership, so I don't know what it costs tho'. I haven't actually used it, but my Pastor is solid as a rock, and I am in the Diocese of Lincoln, probably the most Orthodox Diocese in the country.

Also Pray More Novenas has a site. This is the apostolate of a married couple, but I've been following them for awhile, and they seem solidly orthodox. Of course, the very fact that they know what a novena is, is a sign of orthodoxy!

And, that reminds me of an old joke! A fellow goes to a Franciscan and a Jesuit and asks if it's OK to pray a novena to get a new Lexus? The Franciscan says, 'What's a Lexus'? The Jesuit says, 'What's a novena'?
(02-15-2018, 01:18 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]You might check out Formed. It's a pay site, but we have a Parish membership, so I don't know what it costs tho'. I haven't actually used it, but my Pastor is solid as a rock, and I am in the Diocese of Lincoln, probably the most Orthodox Diocese in the country.

Also Pray More Novenas has a site. This is the apostolate of a married couple, but I've been following them for awhile, and they seem solidly orthodox. Of course, the very fact that they know what a novena is, is a sign of orthodoxy!

And, that reminds me of an old joke! A fellow goes to a Franciscan and a Jesuit and asks if it's OK to pray a novena to get a new Lexus? The Franciscan says, 'What's a Lexus'? The Jesuit says, 'What's a novena'?

I'd suggest perhaps not using any apps ... like maybe giving up the Internet or some technology for a while, especially if it is a cause of wasting time.

The best app might just be app-ply yourself to other good activities.
thanks for the suggestions.. and im already giving up "wasteful" technology time, like twitter and candy crush.. thought daily prompts to keep me on track would be helpful.. i used to have a scriptural rosary downloaded on my ipod for guided meditation as i said the mysteries.. found that type of thing helpful.
(02-15-2018, 01:23 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest perhaps not using any apps ... like maybe giving up the Internet...
With all due respect, MM, a Trad friend of mine had some thoughts on that,

Quote:****THIS IS NOT MEANT TO JUDGE ANYONE.**** 
For those of you giving up Facebook and other social media for Lent, would you give up talking to your friends and neighbors for Lent? Would you avoid opportunities to share your faith with others for Lent? Would you shut off communications with those who might really benefit from your encouragement, sympathy, and sense of humor as a way of mortifying what is unsanctified in yourself? Is that really what you intend to do? If so, please consider fasting from something else. We need each other, and for those who are somewhat or actually isolated, this is their way of being in community.
May the Lord increase the fruits of your justice this Lent and strengthen you by His grace to follow in His footsteps.
I agree with him, but I also agree with PrairieMom about giving up the frivolous stuff.
(02-15-2018, 02:29 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2018, 01:23 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]I'd suggest perhaps not using any apps ... like maybe giving up the Internet...
With all due respect, MM, a Trad friend of mine had some thoughts on that,

Quote:****THIS IS NOT MEANT TO JUDGE ANYONE.**** 
For those of you giving up Facebook and other social media for Lent, would you give up talking to your friends and neighbors for Lent? Would you avoid opportunities to share your faith with others for Lent? Would you shut off communications with those who might really benefit from your encouragement, sympathy, and sense of humor as a way of mortifying what is unsanctified in yourself? Is that really what you intend to do? If so, please consider fasting from something else. We need each other, and for those who are somewhat or actually isolated, this is their way of being in community.
May the Lord increase the fruits of your justice this Lent and strengthen you by His grace to follow in His footsteps.
I agree with him, but I also agree with PrairieMom about giving up the frivolous stuff.

No disrespect taken at all Jovan.

Still I'd answer the friends questions thus : Yes.

If the use of social media or Facebook or whatever, even if conversations with friends came about because of some undue attachment, or was not helpful to one's own salvation ... then yes, it is a good thing to give up.

Obviously, not everyone has that problem, and a place like FE is probably something that people are less likely in need of giving up versus Facebook or social media.

My concern with those things typically is that they are often substitutes for talking with friends and neighbors. Using Facebook may seem like a way of communicating and interacting well with others, but is often a self-promotion, rather that working to help others. 

Is it the case for all? Nope.

Is it the case for many? Unreservedly, yes.

In the latter, it would be an ideal form of mortification.

Better yet, for even those that fit in the first category, perhaps setting solid limits as regards time would be a good thing.

Just some thoughts.
Catholicschoolmom,

I do not assist at one of their chapels, but have myself signed up for the SSPX's daily lenten meditations. The one for yesterday was very good.