FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Help! Is today a day of fasting and partial abstinence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We're at my parents for supper, and I just ate some turkey liver before the main meal.  Is it OK for me to still eat turkey in about half an hour?
Choosing to fast today is a matter of devotion, no longer a matter of Church law, which only requires fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Under the traditional rules, all weekdays of Lent are days of fasting and partial abstinence, except Friday, which requires total abstinence. But it's no longer a sin to eat turkey twice on a Lenten Saturday.
(02-17-2018, 05:39 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]We're at my parents for supper, and I just ate some turkey liver before the main meal.  Is it OK for me to still eat turkey in about half an hour?

The old rules of fasting and abstinence no longer apply. If they did, how in the world is turkey liver worth jeopardizing your soul? That sounds absolutely awful!
(02-17-2018, 06:40 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2018, 05:39 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]We're at my parents for supper, and I just ate some turkey liver before the main meal.  Is it OK for me to still eat turkey in about half an hour?

The old rules of fasting and abstinence no longer apply. If they did, how in the world is turkey liver worth jeopardizing your soul? That sounds absolutely awful!

I agree.  Very careless on my part..
(02-17-2018, 06:40 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]

Really!  At least make it something worthwhile like a giant cheeseburger!  :D
(02-17-2018, 06:12 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Choosing to fast today is a matter of devotion, no longer a matter of Church law, which only requires fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Under the traditional rules, all weekdays of Lent are days of fasting and partial abstinence, except Friday, which requires total abstinence. But it's no longer a sin to eat turkey twice on a Lenten Saturday.

If I had to follow the old rules of fasting I would lose so much weight. I don't know how Catholics did this before.
(02-17-2018, 06:12 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Choosing to fast today is a matter of devotion, no longer a matter of Church law, which only requires fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Under the traditional rules, all weekdays of Lent are days of fasting and partial abstinence, except Friday, which requires total abstinence. But it's no longer a sin to eat turkey twice on a Lenten Saturday.

Actually you are still obligated to totally abstain from meat for all Fridays of Lent, as well as abstain and fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
(02-17-2018, 08:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]

Actually you are still obligated to totally abstain from meat for all Fridays of Lent, as well as abstain and fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

I was thinking only of fasting, but you're correct - no meat on the Fridays of Lent, but you no longer have to fast.
(02-17-2018, 08:28 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: [ -> ]

If I had to follow the old rules of fasting I would lose so much weight. I don't know how Catholics did this before.

I do follow them and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my weight! :LOL:
As others said it's not required by Canon law anymore, so just remember next time or maybe just pray an extra decade of the Rosary as an additional penance.

I typically try to fast Monday - Saturday with partial abstinence except Friday (full). I'm going to try to add Wednesday as a full this year as well. Sunday is just a normal eating day.
Pages: 1 2