FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: In Regards to Honoring Your Father and Your Mother
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm a vaper, and I often need my nic fix or I can get a bit grumpy or fidgety. I'm not worried about any detrimental effects because vaping is actually at the least 95% safer than smoking.

Now here's the problem. I'm 20 going on 21, but I still live with my parents (probably until I get a decent job once I get my real estate certification.) Now both of them don't mind if I vape in my car in our garage which is fine in the warmer months and such, but in the winter it can get rather chilly in there. My mother is okay with me vaping in my room with my door closed or in the basement, but my father is against me vaping in my room or in the basement. My mother is also okay with me vaping with my door closed and if my dad's asleep at the same time because he won't notice.

This is very confusing here because they have different rules in regards to this. I've never really asked a priest about this, but I have asked a priest about my bosses who have different rules and they said follow the rules of the guy who's there at the time which is similar in a way. So I'm not sure what to do lol.

What do you guys recommend I do? Stick to vaping in the car and play it safe, or vape in my room when my dad's not around/sleeping? Thanks! :D
To keep peace in the house I would vape in the car to be safe. That way you don't start fights between your parents.
What is their problem with it? My wife is a smoker, and she doesn't allow smoking in the house, but she's never had a problem with me vaping in the house, but like you, I'm trying to quit. There's no odour or residue that I know of. (Of course, I can't smell, and I've never vaped a 'flavour', just straight nicotine.)
I would treat the situation the same way you would treat a rental agreement with a landlord.

Since you don't have a written agreement (something I would recommend to all adult children living with parents) I would adhere to the verbal agreement you have arranged.

In this case, that verbal agreement is different for each of your landlords and I would acquiesce accordingly.

Beyond that, there is the golden rule and seeing as how Jovan stated that no nasal or other disturbance should come from it I can't see the harm.
(02-19-2018, 10:11 PM)Smiley Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm a vaper, and I often need my nic fix or I can get a bit grumpy or fidgety. I'm not worried about any detrimental effects because vaping is actually at the least 95% safer than smoking.

Now here's the problem. I'm 20 going on 21, but I still live with my parents (probably until I get a decent job once I get my real estate certification.) Now both of them don't mind if I vape in my car in our garage which is fine in the warmer months and such, but in the winter it can get rather chilly in there. My mother is okay with me vaping in my room with my door closed or in the basement, but my father is against me vaping in my room or in the basement. My mother is also okay with me vaping with my door closed and if my dad's asleep at the same time because he won't notice.

This is very confusing here because they have different rules in regards to this. I've never really asked a priest about this, but I have asked a priest about my bosses who have different rules and they said follow the rules of the guy who's there at the time which is similar in a way. So I'm not sure what to do lol.

What do you guys recommend I do? Stick to vaping in the car and play it safe, or vape in my room when my dad's not around/sleeping? Thanks! :D

Pray ardently for the grace to wean off the nicotine, and then you won't have to vape anymore.  Nicotine addiction squanders your money, health, and talents, and there's no reason why you can't start slowing reducing your intake, until you're finally off the stuff altogether.

In the meantime, if you must do it, obey your father's authority, bundle up, and go outside to do your vaping activity.
Vape outside out of respect for your father - he will appreciate your effort.
Don't cause a problem between your parents.
And this type of disagreement between parents happens from time to time - it is difficult to always be on the same page.
I just wanted to add that in my post above I was laying out the minimum you are required to do with regards to your parents.

I know, Smiley, that you have had problems in the past with your parents trying to exert too much control over you now that you are an adult.  So they no longer have authority over you and you don't have to obey them.

You do have to treat them with at least the same respect you would treat any other persons you live with and any landlords you rent from.

Since they are your parents you can choose to go above and beyond the minimum amount of respect out of love and honor, but it is your choice how far you want to go with that.

I think the other posters have made some good points about avoiding strife between your parents which would happen if your Dad caught you and perhaps using this to motivate you to quit the tobacco habit if that is your choice.

God Bless!
You live under your father's house who is letting you live there as an act of charity, since you are an adult. It is Christian charity to respect your father's wishes and not vape in the house.

Idk about you, but when I smoked I loved going out into the cold all bundled up and watching that beautiful little amber glow in the cold, crisp air.

Man, I miss smoking.