FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Enjoy Today: A Break From Your Lenten Commitments!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Today is: Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle. On Feast days and Solemnities, one is freed of the Lenten restrains, including fasts and abstinence. It is a FEAST Day!!

:eats: :cheers: :dancingjewishman

Enjoy all!!
Actually, under current Can Law, only solemnities are exempt from Lenten observance, and today is not a solemnity.

Quote:In Paenitemini, Pope Paul VI gave authority to the episcopal conferences on how the universal rules would be applied in their region. On November 18, 1966, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops legislated the following to be observed in the United States:
  • Abstinence is obligatory on all Fridays of Lent, except Solemnities (i.e., I Class Feasts).
So that would make St. Joseph the only solemnity during Lent.

Then again, today is Thursday, so we're technically not bound to be fasting/abstaining either.
(02-22-2018, 04:03 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, under current Can Law, only solemnities are exempt from Lenten observance, and today is not a solemnity.

Quote:In Paenitemini, Pope Paul VI gave authority to the episcopal conferences on how the universal rules would be applied in their region. On November 18, 1966, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops legislated the following to be observed in the United States:
  • Abstinence is obligatory on all Fridays of Lent, except Solemnities (i.e., I Class Feasts).

Semantics.  Today is a "I Class Feast" and it does not fall on a Friday.

Last night, at our Parish's Lenten Mission (day 3), the celebrant, Fr. Wade Menezes, CPM (well known nationally, BTW) stated this was the case.

Sorry, I'll go with his interpretation.
(02-22-2018, 04:57 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]So that would make St. Joseph the only solemnity during Lent.

Then again, today is Thursday, so we're technically not bound to be fasting/abstaining either.

Father said that any things we may have given up (abstinence) for Lent, we were released from honoring on this day.
(02-22-2018, 05:06 PM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2018, 04:57 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]So that would make St. Joseph the only solemnity during Lent.

Father said that any things we may have given up (abstinence) for Lent, we were released from honoring on this day.

Since, under the current law, you're not bound to anything today, rather meaningless. However, since fasting on all weekdays of Lent is recommended by the USCCB, I suppose he's granted you a dispensation from that.
(02-22-2018, 05:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2018, 04:03 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, under current Can Law, only solemnities are exempt from Lenten observance, and today is not a solemnity.

Semantics.  Today is a "I Class Feast" and it does not fall on a Friday.
Not semantics. There is no such thing as a I Class Feast in current legislation. There are Solemnities, Feasts and Memorials. That's it. Some of the I Class Feasts of the Old Calendar became Solemnities. The Chair of Peter is not one of them. It is a Feast. Ergo, the 'recommended' fasting is still in place, unless dispensed from, which it seems you have been.
Looking at Divinum Officium today is a 2nd class feast... AFAIK only 1st class feasts fit the mold, which is still just St. Joseph.
(02-22-2018, 06:01 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at Divinum Officium today is a 2nd class feast... AFAIK only 1st class feasts fit the mold, which is still just St. Joseph.
Good catch! I overslept today and haven't said my Office, so I hadn't noticed that.
(02-22-2018, 06:01 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Looking at Divinum Officium today is a 2nd class feast... AFAIK only 1st class feasts fit the mold, which is still just St. Joseph.

And the Assumption, although that's transferred this year.

The patron saint of one's church, and its dedication, are also I Class in that parish.
Pages: 1 2