FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question for the experts on the DO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In anticipating Lauds for tomorrow (I have a dispensation!), the Canticle is Habacuc 3:2-33. I wanted to look at other versions of verse 31. The problem is I can't find verses 20-33 in any Bible I've looked at. Where do the last 14 verses of the Canticle come from? Since Habacuc only has three chapters, it can't be the beginning of the next chapter.
(02-22-2018, 07:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]In anticipating Lauds for tomorrow (I have a dispensation!), the Canticle is Habacuc 3:2-33. I wanted to look at other versions of verse 31. The problem is I can't find verses 20-33 in any Bible I've looked at. Where do the last 14 verses of the Canticle come from? Sinc Habacuc only has three chapters, it can't be the beginning of the next chapter.

DO has the verses numbered incorrectly.

The Breviary splits the verses given into half verses for each stanza (or thereabouts).

It is just Hb 3.2-19.

For example the Vulgate has for Hb 3.2 :

Quote:Domine, audivi auditionem tuam, et timui. Domine, opus tuum, in medio annorum vivifica illud; in medio annorum notum facies: cum iratus fueris, misericordiæ recordaberis.

In the Breviary that is the first three stanzas of the Canticle. DO lists this as three separate verses when it should just duplicate the numbering :"

Quote:3:2 Dómine, audívi auditiónem tuam, * et tímui.
3:3 Dómine, opus tuum, * in médio annórum vivífica illud:
3:4 In médio annórum notum fácies: * cum irátus fúeris, misericórdiæ recordáberis.

Thus the text and divisions on DO are correct, but the numbering of the verses is not.
(02-22-2018, 07:26 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2018, 07:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]In anticipating Lauds for tomorrow (I have a dispensation!), the Canticle is Habacuc 3:2-33. I wanted to look at other versions of verse 31. The problem is I can't find verses 20-33 in any Bible I've looked at. Where do the last 14 verses of the Canticle come from? Sinc Habacuc only has three chapters, it can't be the beginning of the next chapter.

DO has the verses numbered incorrectly.

The Breviary splits the verses given into half verses for each stanza (or thereabouts).

It is just Hb 3.2-19.

For example the Vulgate has for Hb 3.2 :

Quote:Domine, audivi auditionem tuam, et timui. Domine, opus tuum, in medio annorum vivifica illud; in medio annorum notum facies: cum iratus fueris, misericordiæ recordaberis.

In the Breviary that is the first three stanzas of the Canticle. DO lists this as three separate verses when it should just duplicate the numbering :"

Quote:3:2 Dómine, audívi auditiónem tuam, * et tímui.
3:3 Dómine, opus tuum, * in médio annórum vivífica illud:
3:4 In médio annórum notum fácies: * cum irátus fúeris, misericórdiæ recordáberis.

Thus the text and divisions on DO are correct, but the numbering of the verses is not.
Thank you, MM!