FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is donating to the Church immoral?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Had a conversation with my family on this topic. I find it disgusting that my family continues to put money in the offeratory or give to Catholic Charities given what they hear from the pulpit, where that money goes, etc. The wallet is pretty much the only place a layman can make his voice heard in the Church. Blindly continuing to give money out of habit or some notion of trusting providence to put the money to good use seems p. stupid.

Thoughts?
We are bound by the Precepts of the Church to provide for the material needs of the Church. Originally that meant paying the tithe to your Parish Church. It no longer says that, so as I see it, we are bound to support the Church as a whole. In the past I knew people who sent their donations directly to Rome. I certainly wouldn't do that now. Another possibility is to donate to the Traditional Orders, or charities that you can trust, like Aid to the Church in Need. I wouldn't contribute to most Parishes, because even if your Pastor is pretty decent, who knows what the Bishop is doing with the monies sent to him?
(03-02-2018, 07:52 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Had a conversation with my family on this topic. I find it disgusting that my family continues to put money in the offeratory or give to Catholic Charities given what they hear from the pulpit, where that money goes, etc. The wallet is pretty much the only place a layman can make his voice heard in the Church. Blindly continuing to give money out of habit or some notion of trusting providence to put the money to good use seems p. stupid.

Thoughts?
Peace.....many people I know personally are donating to Charities of their choice that they can trust, or Traditional Parishes or causes to keep Masses going or seminarians trained.  I know priests too, who donate directly to a cause and not through an organization - example a family in need or a pregnant woman who is in need of baby supplies/furnishings.  These are still good ways of supporting the Church "as it should be and once was."  It's not frugal to just throw hard earned money to the wind and hope for the best - we still need to be vigilant and prudent.  God bless, angeltime Incense
Pilgrim and I donate to our parish in more tangible ways.  We once bought a set of St. Edmund Campion Missals for the TLM.  We do things that put the funds toward things that benefit the local TLM rather than just giving a check.   Other than that, we send money to traditional orders, the FSSP, and sometimes directly to families in need.
(03-02-2018, 07:52 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Had a conversation with my family on this topic. I find it disgusting that my family continues to put money in the offeratory or give to Catholic Charities given what they hear from the pulpit, where that money goes, etc. The wallet is pretty much the only place a layman can make his voice heard in the Church. Blindly continuing to give money out of habit or some notion of trusting providence to put the money to good use seems p. stupid.

Thoughts?

I'm depressed that I live in a world where such an absurd question is even asked.  That someone, a Catholic, would find it disgusting when they see their fellow brethren do what Catholics are bound to do.

I get we have bad priests, I get the Church is in a crisis, but this sort of crap is equally part of the problem.

Our Lord paid the tax to Caesar and donated money to the Temple.  The same temple with the same Pharisees and Sadducees who were wicked and perverse and would later go on to crucify Him.  Would you think what Our Lord did was disgusting too?

We do not need to give money to charities that support evil agendas, but we do need to support our local parishes.  If you are in a parish that is so truly wicked and immoral that you cannot bear to donate money to...find another parish!
We are obligated to assist with the material needs of the Church. This does not necessarily need to be a donation to your parish but it must be something. To neglect to do this is a grave sin. In fact, it's part of the bare minimum requirements of being a catholic.

I find the fact that this is even a question to be "disgusting".
(03-03-2018, 01:30 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]We do not need to give money to charities that support evil agendas, but we do need to support our local parishes.  If you are in a parish that is so truly wicked and immoral that you cannot bear to donate money to...find another parish!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says, in Section 2043, 'The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his abilities.' It says nothing specific about supporting your Parish with cash donations. I admit that that is the normal way to fulfill the precept, but I can easily envision cases where to contribute to the Parish (and through it to the Diocese) could be actively financing sin.

To give an example. I'm not worried about either my Parish or Diocese, but recently we had an 'appeal'. Each Parish had a quota of x dollars. If we didn't meet that quota, the money would come out of the Parish revenues. So, if the 'appeal' is for 'Catholic' Charities, and the quota isn't met, part of the money you put in the collection may well go to support their artificial birth control programs.

This is why, for years, I've known people who refused to give money to their Parish. Many of them did the sort of things Fontevrault mentioned she and Pilgrim do, and if they wanted to donate money it went to conservative/Traditional, truly Catholic charities, or to Traditional Priests in the missions.
(03-03-2018, 01:30 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]

Thoughts?

I'm depressed that I live in a world where such an absurd question is even asked.  That someone, a Catholic, would find it disgusting when they see their fellow brethren do what Catholics are bound to do.

I get we have bad priests, I get the Church is in a crisis, but this sort of crap is equally part of the problem.

Our Lord paid the tax to Caesar and donated money to the Temple.  The same temple with the same Pharisees and Sadducees who were wicked and perverse and would later go on to crucify Him.  Would you think what Our Lord did was disgusting too?

We do not need to give money to charities that support evil agendas, but we do need to support our local parishes.  If you are in a parish that is so truly wicked and immoral that you cannot bear to donate money to...find another parish!
Peace....it was the same Jesus who threw the money changers out of the temple saying "My house is a house of prayer!"  If people are concerned their money is being used to pay off lawsuits, furnish homosexual clergy lifestyles, then that is their business to donate in a different manner that is more Christian and Charitable.  There are bigger and more important needs in the world.....God bless! Heart
(03-03-2018, 01:46 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]We are obligated to assist with the material needs of the Church. This does not necessarily need to be a donation to your parish but it must be something. To neglect to do this is a grave sin. In fact, it's part of the bare minimum requirements of being a catholic.

Well I find Catholic Charities and my family's parish direct affiliation with them disgusting, so your pearl clutching kinda falls on deaf ears. This kind of post isn't really going to shame me into endorsing programs that are frankly evil. 

I find your inability to recognize the nuances of this problem disgusting. Do you donate to your parish if portions go to support contraception programs? Is that being a good Catholic like Jesus wanted? Frankly I would withhold money strictly on the basis of a parish doing generally liberal crap that I dislike but thats not even where I'm approaching it from.
(03-03-2018, 10:19 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2018, 01:46 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]We are obligated to assist with the material needs of the Church. This does not necessarily need to be a donation to your parish but it must be something. To neglect to do this is a grave sin. In fact, it's part of the bare minimum requirements of being a catholic.

Well I find Catholic Charities and my family's parish direct affiliation with them disgusting, so your pearl clutching kinda falls on deaf ears. This kind of post isn't really going to shame me into endorsing programs that are frankly evil. 

I find your inability to recognize the nuances of this problem disgusting. Do you donate to your parish if portions go to support contraception programs? Is that being a good Catholic like Jesus wanted? Frankly I would withhold money strictly on the basis of a parish doing generally liberal crap that I dislike but thats not even where I'm approaching it from.
Peace.....Some members of the Church or Parish also donate to a fund or by bringing the candles, flowers, altar linens etc and this is more transparent for them after they donate and makes them feel better/safer with their money.  I also know others who for many years, have driven someone to and from Mass each Sunday and go out of their way to do it.  So again, this is in my mind a donation and charitable deed.  God bless, angeltime Heart
Pages: 1 2 3 4