FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: No "I'm Sorry."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Peace....I have 2 situations where I know (and several others agree) that an apology is in order for something said/done.  It never comes but instead all just continues on as if never happened.  As a Catholic with etiquette and morals as well as feelings, I think since I am "forgiving" then the other parties should at least be recognizing their error and come up with the simple "I'm sorry."  I have never had to blatently say, "You owe me an apology" so it seems odd for me to do this - should I just let it go?  What about their soul being tied up?  I have prayed about it and will continue to do so now and then.  Any comments?
God bless, angeltime Heart
(03-11-2018, 10:41 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace....I have 2 situations where I know (and several others agree) that an apology is in order for something said/done.  It never comes but instead all just continues on as if never happened.  As a Catholic with etiquette and morals as well as feelings, I think since I am "forgiving" then the other parties should at least be recognizing their error and come up with the simple "I'm sorry."  I have never had to blatently say, "You owe me an apology" so it seems odd for me to do this - should I just let it go?  What about their soul being tied up?  I have prayed about it and will continue to do so now and then.  Any comments?

More details please!  It's hard to say without knowing more  Salute
(03-11-2018, 11:08 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2018, 10:41 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace....I have 2 situations where I know (and several others agree) that an apology is in order for something said/done.  It never comes but instead all just continues on as if never happened.  As a Catholic with etiquette and morals as well as feelings, I think since I am "forgiving" then the other parties should at least be recognizing their error and come up with the simple "I'm sorry."  I have never had to blatently say, "You owe me an apology" so it seems odd for me to do this - should I just let it go?  What about their soul being tied up?  I have prayed about it and will continue to do so now and then.  Any comments?

More details please!  It's hard to say without knowing more  Salute
Peace.....briefly will say - one individual asked a priest without my knowledge to not have incense at my mom's funeral for her casket and the priest followed her request.  (I mentioned this previously on a post) and the other is someone who lost their temper with myself and another relative and even with proof of the truth, would not accept the info saying we can justify whatever way we like.  (when things cool off, this person may be embarrassed and I know them quite well; it was a surprise to see this behavior, yet I sensed something was building) - so that is a bit of a picture - but no apologies or comments saying they were misinformed or I really thought you wouldnt mind etc....nothing.  (like self-satisfaction) God bless, angeltime Heart
(03-11-2018, 11:54 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....briefly will say - one individual asked a priest without my knowledge to not have incense at my mom's funeral for her casket and the priest followed her request.  (I mentioned this previously on a post) and the other is someone who lost their temper with myself and another relative and even with proof of the truth, would not accept the info saying we can justify whatever way we like.  (when things cool off, this person may be embarrassed and I know them quite well; it was a surprise to see this behavior, yet I sensed something was building) - so that is a bit of a picture - but no apologies or comments saying they were misinformed or I really thought you wouldnt mind etc....nothing.  (like self-satisfaction) God bless, angeltime Heart

You know, in some ways this could be less of a "Catholic" question and more of a personality question.  I don't think you're wrong for being assertive in standing up for yourself.  I have a hard time believing there's a sin in that.  I would say be direct in saying that you expect an apology, and why, but don't ask for it then and there.  Give them time to reflect.  

I really really don't think letting it go under the pretense of being forgiving is the right thing to do.  Some people would say that's the "Christian" thing to do, but that's BS in my opinion.  Sure, don't dwell on it or blow it out of proportion, but it's unhealthy for those relationships and disrespectful to yourself to simply move on.
(03-12-2018, 12:07 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2018, 11:54 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....briefly will say - one individual asked a priest without my knowledge to not have incense at my mom's funeral for her casket and the priest followed her request.  (I mentioned this previously on a post) and the other is someone who lost their temper with myself and another relative and even with proof of the truth, would not accept the info saying we can justify whatever way we like.  (when things cool off, this person may be embarrassed and I know them quite well; it was a surprise to see this behavior, yet I sensed something was building) - so that is a bit of a picture - but no apologies or comments saying they were misinformed or I really thought you wouldnt mind etc....nothing.  (like self-satisfaction) God bless, angeltime Heart

You know, in some ways this could be less of a "Catholic" question and more of a personality question.  I don't think you're wrong for being assertive in standing up for yourself.  I have a hard time believing there's a sin in that.  I would say be direct in saying that you expect an apology, and why, but don't ask for it then and there.  Give them time to reflect.  

I really really don't think letting it go under the pretense of being forgiving is the right thing to do.  Some people would say that's the "Christian" thing to do, but that's BS in my opinion.  Sure, don't dwell on it or blow it out of proportion, but it's unhealthy for those relationships and disrespectful to yourself to simply move on.
Peace.....your response is very good and regarding "Catholic" - I remember being taught that we are to forgive as soon as someone injures us - well haha!  Anyhow I was told also by a priest once that I forgive too quickly and the other person doesnt learn - not in this situation but something else years ago.  So, that is how the Catholic-mind comes into it.  I agree with you that I cant simply just shelve it otherwise it wouldnt keep coming up in my mind especially when I see the individuals.  Tks for sharing!  God bless, angeltime Heart