FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Raspberry Pi Divine Office Alarm Clock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After reading this long ramble I figured it needed a TL;DR: A box that keeps your prayer/devotional life on track. Open source. Very low cost and easy to build at home.

I've tried to turn some of my newfound alone time at night into productive work and today I developed a Raspberry Pi Prayer/Alarm Clock that plays a recording of a church bell (or any sound really) at various times throughout the day while also temporarily displaying the current reason for the alarm (Wake up, Matins, Lauds, Prime, Mass, Angelus, etc). I'm going to also be adding a Novena reminder application/extension over the new few days if all goes to plan. When not sounding the bell it displays the weather, temperature, current time, and any feasts, days of obligation etc. along with the date/liturgical date. More or less it's an alarm clock...I've just extended my alarm clock class extended with some extra Catholic features/classes.

For the moment, it's 'scratched out' aka "working with a lot of comments saying 'do this better' etc." in JavaScript, PHP, and CSS (I may convert it to C# or C++ but I'm not sure as it's neat to be able to also super easily sync up other devices (like a smart tv, laptop, etc) to the clock atm). It's running on Raspbian Stretch Lite (the desktop is really just a web browser in embedded mode). Anyway, I've got a few more features to add (I need to add a snooze button for instance (I'm debating using the touchscreen or adding a physical button), push notifications/text messages to mobile devices, the Novena reminder, and I need to make the user interface/setup..well...existent (as it's mostly handled by config files right now but I'd like it to eventually be an easy to use drag and drop type deal). 

In short, I figured something like this would be useful to people who are trying to develop a prayer life, busy folks who may need a gentle reminder to set aside time to pray that can't be easily 'muted' like a phone, etc. I also figured - if the project could get enough people working on it - that it could grow to something new or small religious communities, churches, etc could use in place of expensive bell systems (or at least until they could afford them). Looking online some of those systems are either extremely difficult to configure for non-technically inclined individuals or quite expensive. Ultimately, I'd like this to be something configurable by a 12-year-old but also scalable to handle the needs of a large community. Also, I'm making sure it works on both professional grade hardware (bell systems etc) and hardware readily available around a home (monitors in lieu of the touchscreen for instance, regular computer speakers, etc). 

The reason I am posting this here: I was wondering two things:

A. What features would you as a practicing Traditional Catholic look for, if any, in a device like this if you were to be interested in one for your home (as that is the scale I'm currently developing. I'm assuming the device itself and perhaps, at most, 3 or 4 wireless/wire connected speakers around a home with a wall mounted monitor or two and at most two smart televisions)? I'm mostly interested in features that Catholics, in particular, would find helpful; however, I'm also more than happy to try and incorporate general 'alarm clock' features.

- I get that mobile phones do most of this stuff; however, I like the idea of tinkering. Also, for example, some individuals are not comfortable with phone/multi-use devices and still prefer dedicated devices. I'm not going to sell these (all would be made available online for free) so the audience would more or less be fellow tinkerers for the moment, but eventually I hope to have something put together which anyone could follow and get it up and running (so if anyone has experience writing documentation that would be very helpful).  

B. Would anyone be interested in helping develop something like this? 
- It'll all be made available online for free, but I only know how to program/tinker with electronics. I'm not adept at designing plans for or making enclosures/cases (I'm thinking if someone knows how to make 3d printer blueprints that would be a nice thing to add to the project) for example. Once I have the code cleaned up and not 'scratched out' I'll share the github for anyone interested. 

Okay. That was a lot of rambling, but I thought maybe some folks on here would have some ideas for a project like this.
(03-13-2018, 10:31 PM)IntoTheMystic Wrote: [ -> ]After reading this long ramble I figured it needed a TL;DR: A box that keeps your prayer/devotional life on track. Open source. Very low cost and easy to build at home.

I've tried to turn some of my newfound alone time at night into productive work and today I developed a Raspberry Pi Prayer/Alarm Clock that plays a recording of a church bell (or any sound really) at various times throughout the day while also temporarily displaying the current reason for the alarm (Wake up, Matins, Lauds, Prime, Mass, Angelus, etc). I'm going to also be adding a Novena reminder application/extension over the new few days if all goes to plan. When not sounding the bell it displays the weather, temperature, current time, and any feasts, days of obligation etc. along with the date/liturgical date. More or less it's an alarm clock...I've just extended my alarm clock class extended with some extra Catholic features/classes.

For the moment, it's 'scratched out' aka "working with a lot of comments saying 'do this better' etc." in JavaScript, PHP, and CSS (I may convert it to C# or C++ but I'm not sure as it's neat to be able to also super easily sync up other devices (like a smart tv, laptop, etc) to the clock atm). It's running on Raspbian Stretch Lite (the desktop is really just a web browser in embedded mode). Anyway, I've got a few more features to add (I need to add a snooze button for instance (I'm debating using the touchscreen or adding a physical button), push notifications/text messages to mobile devices, the Novena reminder, and I need to make the user interface/setup..well...existent (as it's mostly handled by config files right now but I'd like it to eventually be an easy to use drag and drop type deal). 

In short, I figured something like this would be useful to people who are trying to develop a prayer life, busy folks who may need a gentle reminder to set aside time to pray that can't be easily 'muted' like a phone, etc. I also figured - if the project could get enough people working on it - that it could grow to something new or small religious communities, churches, etc could use in place of expensive bell systems (or at least until they could afford them). Looking online some of those systems are either extremely difficult to configure for non-technically inclined individuals or quite expensive. Ultimately, I'd like this to be something configurable by a 12-year-old but also scalable to handle the needs of a large community. Also, I'm making sure it works on both professional grade hardware (bell systems etc) and hardware readily available around a home (monitors in lieu of the touchscreen for instance, regular computer speakers, etc). 

The reason I am posting this here: I was wondering two things:

A. What features would you as a practicing Traditional Catholic look for, if any, in a device like this if you were to be interested in one for your home (as that is the scale I'm currently developing. I'm assuming the device itself and perhaps, at most, 3 or 4 wireless/wire connected speakers around a home with a wall mounted monitor or two and at most two smart televisions)? I'm mostly interested in features that Catholics, in particular, would find helpful; however, I'm also more than happy to try and incorporate general 'alarm clock' features.

- I get that mobile phones do most of this stuff; however, I like the idea of tinkering. Also, for example, some individuals are not comfortable with phone/multi-use devices and still prefer dedicated devices. I'm not going to sell these (all would be made available online for free) so the audience would more or less be fellow tinkerers for the moment, but eventually I hope to have something put together which anyone could follow and get it up and running (so if anyone has experience writing documentation that would be very helpful).  

B. Would anyone be interested in helping develop something like this? 
- It'll all be made available online for free, but I only know how to program/tinker with electronics. I'm not adept at designing plans for or making enclosures/cases (I'm thinking if someone knows how to make 3d printer blueprints that would be a nice thing to add to the project) for example. Once I have the code cleaned up and not 'scratched out' I'll share the github for anyone interested. 

Okay. That was a lot of rambling, but I thought maybe some folks on here would have some ideas for a project like this.
Peace.....it's the monastic effect you are creating - the bells are the call to prayer when one is busy or doing chores.  So, I suppose you just need to consider a choice of bell themes and have a way to turn it off should company be coming who won't be praying the Office with you.  Some people may prefer a chant theme as to a bell theme??  God bless with your endeavours!  angeltime
For homeschool families, it would be nice to add an option to put the family school schedule into the system perhaps with a different bell tone?
This is an awesome project you have going there!. I might use something like that while home,but I've been praying the breviary for so long i am used to just making do. 

Would it be possible to set it up to display the Martyrology, the Rule of St. Benedict and the readings for that days liturgy? Would it be configurable for those of us who do not use the 1962 Kalendar?

All in all I'm very interested in this project. Keep us informed.
Perhaps an option for those who wish to pray according to sunrise and sunset etc. And those who wish to follow the standard hours eg.  6:00, 9:00, noon, etc.
Could there be a way to sync it with your smartphone so you get an alarm or something when you're away from home?
Angeltime: Thanks for the well wishes with the project :) I'm hoping folks will find it useful, and it's keeping me busy so...two birds one stone sorta deal.

Fontevrault: That wouldn't be too much to add at all. I hadn't thought of homeschool families, but I could for sure see that being something useful! Thanks for the idea :) I'll be sure to add it to the to-do list.

Formerbuddhist: I can for sure work the display to show that other information. I'm thinking it would be helpful to have it scroll that information because of screen real estate. I'll add it to the to-do list for sure :) I'm also highly considering making some sort of free application to allow for syncing with phones and other devices. I had tossed around SMS notifications, but I don't think folks are as opposed to installing apps these days. With an app syncing the two together wouldn't be too much effort to make happen. Thank you for the recommendations and ideas! I'll for sure update this thread as it comes together :)

Dominicus: I think that is totally doable - especially if I transfer it over to Python as I know a very good ephemeris library exists for that language which would make that pretty straightforward to do. Perhaps doing a few modes which folks can switch between would be a good idea along with custom modes. I hadn't thought of sunrise and sunset though...that's an awesome idea! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the advice in this thread so far :) You all have some great ideas I wouldn't have thought of on my own. I'll be sure to post updates here as it comes together, and once I have an alpha put together for people to try building at home (or to run on their own systems/PCs/servers) I'll pass along the link to the GitHub project (it's a private repository right now to minimize the random push/pull requests until it's more 'fleshed out' but if any developers would like access to the files I'll be more than happy to give you access before I open it up to the general public for contributions etc.)
(03-14-2018, 08:25 PM)IntoTheMystic Wrote: [ -> ]Angeltime: Thanks for the well wishes with the project :) I'm hoping folks will find it useful, and it's keeping me busy so...two birds one stone sorta deal.

Fontevrault: That wouldn't be too much to add at all. I hadn't thought of homeschool families, but I could for sure see that being something useful! Thanks for the idea :) I'll be sure to add it to the to-do list.

Formerbuddhist: I can for sure work the display to show that other information. I'm thinking it would be helpful to have it scroll that information because of screen real estate. I'll add it to the to-do list for sure :) I'm also highly considering making some sort of free application to allow for syncing with phones and other devices. I had tossed around SMS notifications, but I don't think folks are as opposed to installing apps these days. With an app syncing the two together wouldn't be too much effort to make happen. Thank you for the recommendations and ideas! I'll for sure update this thread as it comes together :)

Dominicus: I think that is totally doable - especially if I transfer it over to Python as I know a very good ephemeris library exists for that language which would make that pretty straightforward to do. Perhaps doing a few modes which folks can switch between would be a good idea along with custom modes. I hadn't thought of sunrise and sunset though...that's an awesome idea! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the advice in this thread so far :) You all have some great ideas I wouldn't have thought of on my own. I'll be sure to post updates here as it comes together, and once I have an alpha put together for people to try building at home (or to run on their own systems/PCs/servers) I'll pass along the link to the GitHub project (it's a private repository right now to minimize the random push/pull requests until it's more 'fleshed out' but if any developers would like access to the files I'll be more than happy to give you access before I open it up to the general public for contributions etc.)
Peace....How and why did you come up with the Raspberry Pi name??  What is the meaning?  God bless, angeltime :heart:
Angeltime: Oh :) The Raspberry Pi is a small computer board. The folks who developed it came up with the name. I'm not that creative ;)
Which Raspberry Pi are you using? Ive been getting into computer stuff lately and have wanted to get a Raspberry Pi to tinker with.