FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Need Some Perspective
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been thinking about starting a web business to host surveys, event registration form, and do some web development. I have been hesitant of serving the public though because suppose the following: a) a person wants to create a form to register people for a gay pride event; b) someone wants me to design a website for their make believe wedding or; c) wants me to design a web site for gay rights or something. It is very likely that I would end up in the same position many bakers and florists have ended up in. Also, living in NY I'm quite sure the state would love to stomp me out as well.

I'm not sure how I could get around this. I do not want to use my talents to support something against God. I've thought about lying and saying "I'm just not into your business" without giving a reason but if someone creates an event registration form its not like I can say "too busy."

Perhaps the solution is to act like a private club that only codes for its members and just deny membership to those who don't see things the way I do? I dunno....any lawyers here? lol!
DS, you might consider setting up an LLC in another state like Nevada or Wyoming that don't record owners of LLCs and thus would protect you from personal liability in business activity.  That's at least one layer of protection (assuming you do this properly- see an attorney for help with this).
It's not lying to just say your not interested in their business and not tell them why. Your are not morally required to tell the customer why you don't want their business.

Your issue is a legal one.
(03-14-2018, 10:36 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not lying to just say your not interested in their business and not tell them why.  Your are not morally required to tell the customer why you don't want their business.

Your issue is a legal one.

This seems about right to me.  Plus it looks like the tide is turning on those suits.  It would still be a headache though.  Anyway, if you have potential customers fill out a form related to business inquiries, just don't respond to gay ones.
Maybe you shouldn't enter that line of business.
(03-15-2018, 06:30 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you shouldn't enter that line of business.

So Catholics can't be web designers? Or bakers? Or photographers? Or pharmacists?

There's nothing immoral about any of those professions, and excluding Catholics from them because they refuse to support sin is unjust.

If it's discrimination to fire a Muslim truck driver because he refuses to transport a load of alcohol, then it should be the same for Christians when they refuse business they consider immoral. Of course it isn't, because Muslims are at the top of the victim hierarchy right now. Bonus points for transgender Muslims.

DS, if this is a significant concern, you might wait and see what the Supreme Court does with Masterpiece Cakeshop. If the baker wins, that may put an end to this sort of thing for now. If not, you'd have to be more careful about turning down business.
(03-15-2018, 10:11 AM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2018, 06:30 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you shouldn't enter that line of business.

So Catholics can't be web designers? Or bakers? Or photographers? Or pharmacists?

There's nothing immoral about any of those professions, and excluding Catholics from them because they refuse to support sin is unjust.

If it's discrimination to fire a Muslim truck driver because he refuses to transport a load of alcohol, then it should be the same for Christians when they refuse business they consider immoral. Of course it isn't, because Muslims are at the top of the victim hierarchy right now. Bonus points for transgender Muslims.

DS, if this is a significant concern, you might wait and see what the Supreme Court does with Masterpiece Cakeshop. If the baker wins, that may put an end to this sort of thing for now. If not, you'd have to be more careful about turning down business.
No one said it immoral.  The laws in the United States make it so you can not discriminate while owning a business that serves the public.  If you do, you get sued and will lose.  Do I agree with it, no.  Although we are just stating the facts. If you agree with the way laws are or not really doesn’t matter.  What matters is what they allows a business to do and in America the law allows no one to refuse service to anyone for their views and or beliefs.
(03-15-2018, 10:52 AM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]No one said it immoral.  The laws in the United States make it so you can not discriminate while owning a business that serves the public.  If you do, you get sued and will lose.  Do I agree with it, no.  Although we are just stating the facts. If you agree with the way laws are or not really doesn’t matter.  What matters is what they allows a business to do and in America the law allows no one to refuse service to anyone for their views and or beliefs.

The laws also say that people have a right to freedom of religion. Even businesses do, since businesses are really just groups of people, and people who believe abortion is immoral don't have to provide their employees with abortifacient contraception.

There's also a difference between refusing to serve gay people and refusing to help with a gay wedding. The law right now is unclear on whether we should make that distinction, but that's what Masterpiece Cakeshop is about. We'll see if the Supreme Court get it right or not.

And you're allowed to discriminate all you want - as long as it isn't for certain reasons. You can refuse to print signs that say 'Donald Trump for President'. You can say you'll only serve customers wearing green, and if they aren't, no soup for you. And not all states have laws with sexual orientation as a protected category. Hobby Lobby helps protect freedom of religion for non-church employers, and we'll see what Masterpiece Cakeshop does. But as of right now, it's unclear - and even more so with web design, where forcing service is also compelled speech, which violates the First Amendment.
(03-15-2018, 12:46 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2018, 10:52 AM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]No one said it immoral.  The laws in the United States make it so you can not discriminate while owning a business that serves the public.  If you do, you get sued and will lose.  Do I agree with it, no.  Although we are just stating the facts. If you agree with the way laws are or not really doesn’t matter.  What matters is what they allows a business to do and in America the law allows no one to refuse service to anyone for their views and or beliefs.

The laws also say that people have a right to freedom of religion. Even businesses do, since businesses are really just groups of people, and people who believe abortion is immoral don't have to provide their employees with abortifacient contraception.

There's also a difference between refusing to serve gay people and refusing to help with a gay wedding. The law right now is unclear on whether we should make that distinction, but that's what Masterpiece Cakeshop is about. We'll see if the Supreme Court get it right or not.

And you're allowed to discriminate all you want - as long as it isn't for certain reasons. You can refuse to print signs that say 'Donald Trump for President'. You can say you'll only serve customers wearing green, and if they aren't, no soup for you. And not all states have laws with sexual orientation as a protected category. Hobby Lobby helps protect freedom of religion for non-church employers, and we'll see what Masterpiece Cakeshop does. But as of right now, it's unclear - and even more so with web design, where forcing service is also compelled speech, which violates the First Amendment.
Your mistaking how you think this country should be with the way it actually is.  Weather you or I agree with it, it doesn’t matter.  Unless the Supreme Court over rules the judges ruling, Americans can not refuse to serve gay customers.
Why not just target a web design business into certain areas that would make you avoid such things? For example, don't do weddings or political type stuff at all. Someone wants you to do a gay pride event? You don't do anything that involves any kind of political agenda regardless of which side of the political spectrum they're on.
Pages: 1 2