FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mary teaching Jesus / Magnificat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, this is my first time posting on this forum!

I was doing some thinking and praying about the Magnificat.  I'm aware that the canticle reflects Hannah's prayer, but it in turn seems to precede the Beatitudes.  I guess my question is if this link between the Magnificat and the Beatitudes indicates that Jesus' teaching was shaped by Mary's spirituality.  Now, that's not to say that the Word of God is not eternal, but Jesus was still a human raised by his parents.  Am I off-base here?  I figured either that was the case or someone else had already stated this idea better than I just did.
I've no answer to your question, but the Magnificat is one of my favourite prayers. I pray it four times a day, or five if I've received Holy Communion, since it's one of my Thanksgiving prayers.
(03-14-2018, 11:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I've no answer to your question, but the Magnificat is one of my favourite prayers. I pray it four times a day, or five if I've received Holy Communion, since it's one of my Thanksgiving prayers.

It's one that I'm embarrassed to say I CANNOT seem to memorize.  I messed myself up because I've used at least three different versions routinely at various times: New American, RSV-2CE, and Douay-Rheims.  Part of the problem too is that I can't decide on which version is my favorite.  I think plenty of different versions have their strengths and weaknesses, surprisingly even the NABRE.  

It occurs to me that maybe this means I should learn the Latin.
(03-15-2018, 12:06 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]It's one that I'm embarrassed to say I CANNOT seem to memorize.  I messed myself up because I've used at least three different versions routinely at various times: New American, RSV-2CE, and Douay-Rheims.  Part of the problem too is that I can't decide on which version is my favorite.  I think plenty of different versions have their strengths and weaknesses, surprisingly even the NABRE.  

It occurs to me that maybe this means I should learn the Latin.
The problem that I have is that I recited it daily for years as an Anglican lay-reader, so the Bishop's Bible version is deeply embedded in my subconscious. The same with the Benedictus and Nunc dimmitis. As a result, I always read them very carefully when I'm praying them, because if I don't my memory kicks in and I recite them wrong.
The Holy Spirit inspired Mary to pray the Magnificat, as He has inspired Hannah’s prayer. The Holy Spirit is God, just as the Son and Father. The same, one God inspired Mary and Hannah as who spoke the Beatitudes.
(03-14-2018, 11:52 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, this is my first time posting on this forum!

Your posts get actual laughs out of me at least once a day.
(03-15-2018, 02:26 AM)Galahad3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2018, 11:52 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, this is my first time posting on this forum!

Your posts get actual laughs out of me at least once a day.

Hopefully that makes up for the unbridled rage austenbosten feels whenever I post lol
Jesus was both God and man at the same time.