FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Golden Calf??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Peace.....a friend told me at the NO Mass the homilist said that the Israelites were not worshiping a false God - the Golden Calf - they were still worshiping God, but wanted something tangible they could see and touch, whereas they cannot understand the spirit of God, not being able to see and touch Him.  

My question is this - if the Israelites were still believing the Golden Calf was God, then why were they drunk having an orgie?  (This is when Moses was receving the 10 Commandments)

I thought referring to the "Golden Calf" also meant false God and love of $.....

God bless, angeltime :heart:
When in doubt a good place to start is the Haydock Bible Commentary which is online.

Exodus 32:20

Calf. Having manifested his disapprobation of the people's conduct, in the most signal manner, by breaking the two tables; Moses proceeds to convince them of their stupidity, in adoring what he, in a few minutes, reduces to powder. (Haydock) --- He breaks the calf in pieces, after burning it, and then grinds it to dust in a mill, with files; as the Hebrew, Chaldean, and Septuagint intimate. He throws it, with contempt, into the torrent, which supplied the camp with water, and thus caused the idolaters to swallow their god. (Tirinus) -- Sa assures us, that he saw an alchymist pulverize gold, which Abenezra says is done by means of some herbs, which turn the gold quite black, when it is melted. (Calmet) --- Some use aquafortis for this purpose. (Tirinus) --- But from the account of Moses, (Deuteronomy ix. 21,) it seems fire, and the mille, or file, reduced the gold into the smallest particles, so as to be even potable. Josephus ([Antiquities?] viii. 2,) mentions the gold dust used by the courtiers of Solomon. (Calmet)

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/...us-32.html
(03-15-2018, 02:49 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]When in doubt a good place to start is the Haydock Bible Commentary which is online.

Calf. Having manifested his disapprobation of the people's conduct, in the most signal manner, by breaking the two tables; Moses proceeds to convince them of their stupidity, in adoring what he, in a few minutes, reduces to powder. (Haydock) --- He breaks the calf in pieces, after burning it, and then grinds it to dust in a mill, with files; as the Hebrew, Chaldean, and Septuagint intimate. He throws it, with contempt, into the torrent, which supplied the camp with water, and thus caused the idolaters to swallow their god. (Tirinus) -- Sa assures us, that he saw an alchymist pulverize gold, which Abenezra says is done by means of some herbs, which turn the gold quite black, when it is melted. (Calmet) --- Some use aquafortis for this purpose. (Tirinus) --- But from the account of Moses, (Deuteronomy ix. 21,) it seems fire, and the mille, or file, reduced the gold into the smallest particles, so as to be even potable. Josephus ([Antiquities?] viii. 2,) mentions the gold dust used by the courtiers of Solomon. (Calmet)

Peace.....Capt Crunch - fortunately I am not in doubt; I just see this as such a bad teaching/interpretation from the homilist.  I suppose there is more going on than this.  If the pews empty right out, it won't surprise me at all.  Another thing is the word is out that the Catholics are not interested in going to Confession anymore, but my question is, why aren't the priests sitting in the confessional prior to masses - very few are and for a very short few minutes OR make an appointment.  I just feel that things are so sloppy and/or untrue.  Tks for listening!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(03-15-2018, 02:36 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....a friend told me at the NO Mass the homilist said that the Israelites were not worshiping a false God - the Golden Calf - they were still worshiping God, but wanted something tangible they could see and touch, whereas they cannot understand the spirit of God, not being able to see and touch Him.  

My question is this - if the Israelites were still believing the Golden Calf was God, then why were they drunk having an orgie?  (This is when Moses was receving the 10 Commandments)

I thought referring to the "Golden Calf" also meant false God and love of $.....

It sounds like he's either being intentionally deceptive (evil), or he went to the worst seminary of all time.  It's hard to tell sometimes  :-/
(03-15-2018, 04:31 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2018, 02:36 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....a friend told me at the NO Mass the homilist said that the Israelites were not worshiping a false God - the Golden Calf - they were still worshiping God, but wanted something tangible they could see and touch, whereas they cannot understand the spirit of God, not being able to see and touch Him.  

It sounds like he's either being intentionally deceptive (evil), or he went to the worst seminary of all time.  It's hard to tell sometimes  :-/
Peace.....yes, it sure does!  It's the lesser of 2 evils whichever one it is..... :dodgy:
(03-15-2018, 02:57 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2018, 02:49 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]When in doubt a good place to start is the Haydock Bible Commentary which is online.

Peace.....Capt Crunch - fortunately I am not in doubt; I just see this as such a bad teaching/interpretation from the homilist.  I suppose there is more going on than this.  If the pews empty right out, it won't surprise me at all.  Another thing is the word is out that the Catholics are not interested in going to Confession anymore, but my question is, why aren't the priests sitting in the confessional prior to masses - very few are and for a very short few minutes OR make an appointment.  I just feel that things are so sloppy and/or untrue.  Tks for listening!  God bless, angeltime :heart:

this confession issue is not like this at every parish that has NO masses.  I have 6 parishes with in about 20 minutes of my house.  Here is how confession works:

Parish #1- confession before mass on tuesday morning and before noon mass also.  priests will stay after mass if all confessions not heard.  confession on saturday evening. confession before saturday evening mass.  

Parish #2- confessions Wednesday at noon and before saturday evening mass

Parish #3- confessions saturday before evening mass

Parish #4- brand new parish open slightly more than a year, obviously does not even have a church yet. confessions before saturday evening mass and before early morning sunday mass.  only has 2 masses on sunday.  just started having daily mass a month or 2 ago- they might have confession before every weekday mass, dont know for certain.

Parish #5- confessions before saturday evening mass and offered 3 times on sunday

Parish #6- confessions tuesdays and saturday

they also have confession every Wednesday of lent.

those are just the 6 right around me. with these 6 parishes i could go to confession on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.  if i branch out slightly farther away from home I can never make an excuse for not having confession available.  where i live in the midwest confession is offered in NO parishes.  if confessions are not being offered that is not because its a NO parish, that's because of that individual parish.
I totally agree. I have lived near two NO Parishes, staffed by Religious, Franciscans in one, Redemptorists in the other, that had confession available 24/7/365.  In my current NO Parish, confessions are heard before every Mass, and during Lent Father has added extra times, including after Stations on Friday evening when he will stay in the confessional as long as necessary. Last night, he heard confessions during Adoration and I think that 80% of our CCD students went to confession. Plus, there are other Parishes within a 15 minute drive that have similar availability.

One night, I'd had a garlic and onion pizza for supper before I went to Mass (I kept the three hour fast) and I told Father he should be glad I hadn't gone to confession. He looked at me and said, 'But I'm always happy to hear a confession'.
jovan66102--

Just a quick side-note to your comment--

My Dad's side of the family is Italian, and I grew up around the smells of a lot of garlic and onions. To me, those odors have always been a reminder of the warmth of home-cooking, and I don't find such scents disagreeable at all; although I know I am probably in the minority in thinking this!:)
(03-16-2018, 01:06 AM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]

this confession issue is not like this at every parish that has NO masses.  I have 6 parishes with in about 20 minutes of my house.  Here is how confession works:

Parish #1- confession before mass on tuesday morning and before noon mass also.  priests will stay after mass if all confessions not heard.  confession on saturday evening. confession before saturday evening mass.  

Parish #4- brand new parish open slightly more than a year, obviously does not even have a church yet. confessions before saturday evening mass and before early morning sunday mass.  only has 2 masses on sunday.  just started having daily mass a month or 2 ago- they might have confession before every weekday mass, dont know for certain.

Parish #5- confessions before saturday evening mass and offered 3 times on sunday

those are just the 6 right around me. with these 6 parishes i could go to confession on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.  if i branch out slightly farther away from home I can never make an excuse for not having confession available.  where i live in the midwest confession is offered in NO parishes.  if confessions are not being offered that is not because its a NO parish, that's because of that individual parish.
Peace.....we notice here, there is an increase in the NO parishes to reduce or not have confession unless by appointment.  I am aware confessions are available in some parishes, however people expect their home parish or at least a parish nearby, to offer confessions regularly.  I know of one person who made an appointment and the priest forgot.  Another time, he was only in the confessional for a very short time and this really only allowed for a couple of people to have their confession heard.  It becomes more noticeable when there are confessions every day before every Mass for 1 hour in the Traditional Parish and confession seems to come with some kind of direction and guidance or mention of a Scripture reading.  I'm sure some areas are more watered down than others.  I will also mention there is a parish when the CWL (women's group) has a meeting, Mass (during the week) will be cancelled.  It became practice at one parish that if there was a funeral Mass, regular Mass (during the week) was cancelled.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(03-16-2018, 01:06 AM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]

Peace.....there is a possibility here locally that has been mentioned regarding the watering down of so many things - it could be that a few parishes will be closing and parishners are being weaned to other parishes.  I will also say that this seems to be happening in the more rural areas, but still affecting people because they have to travel now and some are getting on in years, have illness, or small children and actually purchased their home to be near the parish and parish schools.  Still getting more into the cities, there is a noticeable decrease in attendance at Mass.  These were once very full and are historically beautiful parishes.  People are scattered throughout the pews during Mass, however I have seen myself that all could fit in one half of the parish comfortably.  A lot depends where you live, what is happening in the diocese but with all the hush-hush, it adds to people's frustration. I can count on a good homily and confessions being available where I go (1 1/2 hr away via transit) however that doesnt take away the problem others are experiencing.  I am praying for them of course.  God bless, angeltime