FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can the Pope receive private revelation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Obvy, this is related to the "no hell" thing.  But I was thinking about how the Pope could have possibly come to the conclusion that there is no hell (or whatever he said; the thread isn't about that).  He didn't empirically test the fact, and it's not drawn from tradition.  So the only possibility would be private revelation.

But then there's a problem.  Private revelation certainly exists, right?  But there is no further Revelation past the death of the last apostle.  My thinking is that if the Pope received a private revelation, because of his unique role as the Vicar of Christ, any revelation he received privately would necessarily cease to be private.  This then presents a contradiction that seems to indicate that the Pope, uniquely, cannot receive private revelation.
The pope can receive private revelation the same as everyone else. He can’t use it to change doctrine, however. In fact, orthodoxy is a good test of a private revelation’s authenticity.
What Credidi Propter said! A 'private revelation' contradicting the words of Our Lord in Scripture can only come from one place, and it sure as hell ain't heaven!
(03-30-2018, 08:21 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Obvy, this is related to the "no hell" thing.  But I was thinking about how the Pope could have possibly come to the conclusion that there is no hell (or whatever he said; the thread isn't about that).  He didn't empirically test the fact, and it's not drawn from tradition.  So the only possibility would be private revelation.

But then there's a problem.  Private revelation certainly exists, right?  But there is no further Revelation past the death of the last apostle.  My thinking is that if the Pope received a private revelation, because of his unique role as the Vicar of Christ, any revelation he received privately would necessarily cease to be private.  This then presents a contradiction that seems to indicate that the Pope, uniquely, cannot receive private revelation.

From everything I have heard, the majority of people in Hell are those who did not believe in its existence.
(03-31-2018, 12:39 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]From everything I have heard, the majority of people in Hell are those who did not believe in its existence.
Well said!
(03-30-2018, 08:21 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]But then there's a problem.  Private revelation certainly exists, right?  But there is no further Revelation past the death of the last apostle.  My thinking is that if the Pope received a private revelation, because of his unique role as the Vicar of Christ, any revelation he received privately would necessarily cease to be private.  This then presents a contradiction that seems to indicate that the Pope, uniquely, cannot receive private revelation.

I think your logic is not right here. Even if the pope received a private revelation, it would remain private. His role as the Vicar of Christ doesn't change that.
There is a good historical example in Leo XIII receiving the private revelation about Satan being let loose on the Church, resulting in his composition of the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. When he ordered the prayer to be said after each low mass that regulation was binding on the Church because of his role as the pope. But nobody was ever obliged to believe that the revelation he received was true.
So there is no difference to the revelations to St. Juliana of Liège and the introduction of the feast of Corpus Christi. The laws that resulted from the revelation were binding, but no the revelations themselves.
(03-30-2018, 08:21 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Obvy, this is related to the "no hell" thing.  But I was thinking about how the Pope could have possibly come to the conclusion that there is no hell (or whatever he said; the thread isn't about that).  He didn't empirically test the fact, and it's not drawn from tradition.  So the only possibility would be private revelation.

There is more private revelation about the existence of Hell than its "nonexistence." Those who have been to Hell and back can affirm for you that it really exists.
Why does the "No Hell thing" have to come from somewhere? He's clearly just pulling it out of nowhere like all the other drivel he spits out.