FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Happy Easter!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Χριστὸς ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη!

Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!

Kristus vstal z mrtvých! Vpravdě vstal z mrtvých!

Христос воскресе! Ваистину воскресе!
Crist aras! Crist soþlice aras!
Crist is arisen! Arisen he sothe!
Christ is risen! He is risen, indeed!
Kristus är uppstånden! Han är sannerligen uppstånden!
Le Christ est ressuscité! Vraiment il est ressuscité!
Tá Críost éirithe! Go deimhin, tá sé éirithe!
Tha Crìosd air èiridh! Gu dearbh, tha e air èiridh!
[Image: Quenya_Paschal_Greeting.png]
Neglecting to change my profile's signature line for a year has it's advantages.
(04-01-2018, 01:52 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Neglecting to change my profile's signature line for a year has it's advantages.

LOL!
He Is Risen!
The Lord is risen indeed!
I hope everybody enjoys the Paschal Feast (I've not long started calling it that but 'Easter' seems pagan). I suppose it's okay for children to enjoy chocolate eggs - I'm not a killjoy as long as we don't forget the real message of the feast. I used to be - sort of - friendly with a Jehovah's Witness lady. We didn't actually fall out but her real objective was to convert me to her way of thinking so I told her I wasn't going to change but if she wanted to carry on meeting to discuss things I would do so but she more or less dropped me. I mean we still say 'Hello' if we meet in town but don't have religious discussions. But I digress, she did mention that Easter was based on a pagan festival and 'Easter' was a pagan goddess. I looked into it and there did seem to be something in what she said.
(04-01-2018, 12:40 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
Χριστὸς ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη!

Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!

Kristus vstal z mrtvých! Vpravdě vstal z mrtvých!

Христос воскресе! Ваистину воскресе!
Crist aras! Crist soþlice aras!
Crist is arisen! Arisen he sothe!
Christ is risen! He is risen, indeed!
Kristus är uppstånden! Han är sannerligen uppstånden!
Le Christ est ressuscité! Vraiment il est ressuscité!
Tá Críost éirithe! Go deimhin, tá sé éirithe!
Tha Crìosd air èiridh! Gu dearbh, tha e air èiridh!
[Image: Quenya_Paschal_Greeting.png]
Christos Voskrese! Voistinu Voskrese!
!المسيح قام! حقا قام

Christus ist auferstanden! Er ist wahrhaftig auferstanden!

Христос воскрес! Воістину воскрес!

Kristus vstal z mŕtvych! Skutočne vstal!

Chrystus zmartwychwstał! Prawdziwie zmartwychwstał!

Kristur er upprisinn! Hann er sannarlega upprisinn!

येसु मसीह ज़िन्दा हो गया है! हाँ यक़ीनन, वोह ज़िन्दा हो गया है!

Krisztus feltámadt! Valóban feltámadt!

Христос ылыж кынелын! Чынак ылыж кынелын!

ქრისტე აღსდგა! ჭეშმარიტად აღსდგა!

Քրիստոս հարյա՜վ ի մեռելոց! Օրհնյա՜լ է Հարությունը Քրիստոսի!

Christ daaztsą́ą́dę́ę́ʼ náádiidzáá! Tʼáá aaníí daaztsą́ą́dę́ę́ʼ náádiidzáá!

!ܡܫܝܚܐ ܩܡ! ܫܪܝܪܐܝܬ ܩܡ
He is risen, indeed!

St. Patrick's Helpmate,
your JW friend is truly mistaken. The theory she is espousing is based on the use of the word "Easter" to designate the Solemnity of the Lord's Resurrection. Supposedly it's similar to an old English word Eostre, which is supposed to be the name of an ancient Teutonic goddess. That argument only works with the English language. All other European languages derive their work for Easter (such as the French Pâques) from the Greek pascha, which in turn comes from he Hebrew word pesach, meaning Passover.

(Note Bene, I don't usually sound so smart, just that verbose. I'm paraphrasing from a wonderful book, Steve Weidenkopf's The Real Story of Catholic History, found here: https://smile.amazon.com/Real-Story-Catholic-History-Anti-Catholic/dp/1683570472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522583233&sr=8-1&keywords=steve+weidenkopf+the+real+story+of+catholic+history)

I heartily recommend you read that book, and revisit your conversations with her, as well as checking all the great stuff Vox has here at the main site, fisheaters.com.
Happy Easter, everyone.

And an added comment for St. Patricks Helpmate--

I wouldn't get too hung up on Protestant confusion on what to call any given holiday. In pre-Christian history probably every day of the year had some sort of pagan celebration, and a pagan name to go with it.

I see nothing wrong with the Church coming along and replacing these days with celebrations of its own, and, sometimes, keeping some of the original words with originally pagan meanings-- and indeed "Easter" might be one of them (see the writings of Bede)
--as long as those original meanings are subverted and replaced; in the case of Easter, while the pre-Christian meaning may very well have referred to earthly fertility, there's nothing wrong with the Church saying that the fecundity of the day will now refer to new life in the Risen Lord, while the old pagan name for the day is retained, but with a new, CORRECT meaning.

Over the years, I've seen Protestants of various stripes refuse to call Easter "Easter"-- thus denying the authority of the One True Church --I've seen others refuse to participate in Halloween (All Hollows Eve) [there's nothing wrong with letting your little gargoyle dress up as a little devil so that he or she can belittle the old pagan rituals, and get some candy on the side] --and I've heard of yet others who barely even celebrate Christmas-- instead they are sullen and quiet, and give no gifts, since the day originally apparently referred to a female pagan deity giving birth to another pagan deity.

Protestants are a very disordered and confused lot, aren't they?

Sorry to stray a bit from the topic, but this habit Protestants have of trying to trip up us Catholics with the "proper" name and way to celebrate any given holiday is one of my (admittedly many, many) pet peeves.

So, again, I join with others in saying:

Happy Easter!
Pages: 1 2 3