FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: My Easter Sunday: a Guitar Concert masquerading as a Catholic mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in Japan right now and I went to an English language mass at a local Catholic Church that looks like a Modernist "masterpiece". I had been to the Christmas Eve (Japanese language) mass last year and although it was Novus Ordo and I couldn't understand anything, at least there was a terrific choir and a very good organist. This time, I decided (unwisely it now appears) to go to the English language mass. 

It turned out to be a guitar concert, masquerading as a Catholic mass. It featured several attractive Filipino women who sang very well, accompanied by one of them playing the guitar, perhaps they sang TOO well. They had beautiful voices. The priest, a 90 year old American, was a sideshow. Almost everything was sung by this "band" and one of them had control of the microphone - she led the prayers, ordered us to sit, stand, sit, stand. No kneeling because this church did not have the kneelers (is that what you call it? those padded places where you kneel). Everything they sang: the Gloria, the Sanctus, Our Father. And the songs were the horribly banal pieces that I remember from the 1970s in the Philippines where I grew up. It was exactly this sort of Guitar Mass that caused my entire family to stop going to church, including my devout grandmother who was so sickened by the changes imposed by Vatican II. 

Actually, within 2 seconds of the beginning of the mass, when the first guitar strum echoed throughout the church, I wanted to leave. I was stuck. The poor priest! He seemed so out of place. I looked around me to try to figure out what other people were thinking. Everyone there was a tourist because it's cherry blossom season here in Japan and there are millions of tourists visiting the country. If anyone was appalled, they hid it well. 

Of course, Communion in the hand, accompanied by more banal guitar music and songs . . .

Since my return to the Catholic Church almost exactly a year ago, I have attended only the TLM in other countries (with the exception of the Christmas Eve Japanese language Novus Ordo). That is why I am so shocked. I have not been to a mass like this since the 1970s. 

I simply can't go to another guitar mass. It is so irreverent and disrespectful. The mass has been turned into a guitar + vocal concert for the benefit of people who happen to enjoy singing in public. 

How did this all happen?
The guitar I understand. I completely understanf. Although those prayers being sung was a problem, why? I don't understand?
Personally I can stand any other instrument other than the organ for Mass. NO or TLM. The only other instrument I've heard that wasn't so awful if used sparingly was the trumpet, but even that was a bit much. I've seen NOs with pianos and it just sounds lame. Guitars, violins, and other assortments of instruments. I think I've even seen bongos or similar in the Caribbean. Call me a snob, but they just do not fit.
(04-01-2018, 10:18 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I can stand any other instrument other than the organ for Mass. NO or TLM. The only other instrument I've heard that wasn't so awful if used sparingly was the trumpet, but even that was a bit much. I've seen NOs with pianos and it just sounds lame. Guitars, violins, and other assortments of instruments. I think I've even seen bongos or similar in the Caribbean. Call me a snob, but they just do not fit.

The trumpet, seriously?  Oh I am glad I never heard that one.  I can't imagine hearing such a loud instrument at mass.  Organ or piano for me.
(04-01-2018, 10:12 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]The guitar I understand.  I completely understanf.  Although those prayers being sung was a problem, why?  I don't understand?

Well, they are supposed to be said, chanted, or sung by the people. If they're being sung by a semi-professional band and 'choir' as seems to be the case here, I think it's an abuse.
(04-02-2018, 12:13 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2018, 10:12 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]The guitar I understand.  I completely understanf.  Although those prayers being sung was a problem, why?  I don't understand?

Well, they are supposed to be said, chanted, or sung by the people. If they're being sung by a semi-professional band and 'choir' as seems to be the case here, I think it's an abuse.

There was a song book that we could refer to and sing along with, but since everyone who goes to these English masses, is a tourist, the only people who are completely familiar with the horrid 1970s songs, happens to be the "regulars", that is, the Filipino women who run the Mass. They are in charge of it and the priest, a 90 year old American, just shows up. He's a sideshow. 

Here's another doozy: the people sitting in front of me were German tourists. One of the Filipinos who runs the Mass asked the two sitting closest to the aisle to bring the chalice and wine (located on a table diagonally across from them) to the altar. What the heck is a chalice and a glass of wine doing there??? I'm glad I wasn't sitting in their place because I would have said no way. 

I really don't understand this at all!!
(04-02-2018, 12:13 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh ok.  I misunderstood that a professional band was singing and the people were not singing at all.  Cause where I am from the prayers are sung but by the people and not just lead vocalist.
(04-01-2018, 11:35 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2018, 10:18 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I can stand any other instrument other than the organ for Mass. NO or TLM. The only other instrument I've heard that wasn't so awful if used sparingly was the trumpet, but even that was a bit much. I've seen NOs with pianos and it just sounds lame. Guitars, violins, and other assortments of instruments. I think I've even seen bongos or similar in the Caribbean. Call me a snob, but they just do not fit.

The trumpet, seriously?  Oh I am glad I never heard that one.  I can't imagine hearing such a loud instrument at mass.  Organ or piano for me.

They usually use it for a few notes here and there. It's kind of a waste, but for whatever reason, it's included.
(04-01-2018, 09:43 PM)Julia Augusta Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, within 2 seconds of the beginning of the mass, when the first guitar strum echoed throughout the church, I wanted to leave. I was stuck. The poor priest! He seemed so out of place. 

He's no "poor priest"; he could put an end to that any time he wanted.

I can't stand pianos, guitars, etc., at Mass. I even prefer not to have organs at Mass -- no instruments at all, just chant, preferably in male voices.
(04-01-2018, 09:43 PM)Julia Augusta Wrote: [ -> ]I am in Japan right now and I went to an English language mass at a local Catholic Church that looks like a Modernist "masterpiece". I had been to the Christmas Eve (Japanese language) mass last year and although it was Novus Ordo and I couldn't understand anything, at least there was a terrific choir and a very good organist. This time, I decided (unwisely it now appears) to go to the English language mass. 

It turned out to be a guitar concert, masquerading as a Catholic mass. It featured several attractive Filipino women who sang very well, accompanied by one of them playing the guitar, perhaps they sang TOO well. They had beautiful voices. The priest, a 90 year old American, was a sideshow. Almost everything was sung by this "band" and one of them had control of the microphone - she led the prayers, ordered us to sit, stand, sit, stand. No kneeling because this church did not have the kneelers (is that what you call it? those padded places where you kneel). Everything they sang: the Gloria, the Sanctus, Our Father. And the songs were the horribly banal pieces that I remember from the 1970s in the Philippines where I grew up. It was exactly this sort of Guitar Mass that caused my entire family to stop going to church, including my devout grandmother who was so sickened by the changes imposed by Vatican II. 

Actually, within 2 seconds of the beginning of the mass, when the first guitar strum echoed throughout the church, I wanted to leave. I was stuck. The poor priest! He seemed so out of place. I looked around me to try to figure out what other people were thinking. Everyone there was a tourist because it's cherry blossom season here in Japan and there are millions of tourists visiting the country. If anyone was appalled, they hid it well. 

Of course, Communion in the hand, accompanied by more banal guitar music and songs . . .

Since my return to the Catholic Church almost exactly a year ago, I have attended only the TLM in other countries (with the exception of the Christmas Eve Japanese language Novus Ordo). That is why I am so shocked. I have not been to a mass like this since the 1970s. 

I simply can't go to another guitar mass. It is so irreverent and disrespectful. The mass has been turned into a guitar + vocal concert for the benefit of people who happen to enjoy singing in public. 

How did this all happen?
Peace.....it is the smelly aftermath of Vat 11 - no reverence and no etiquette.  We have a priest here in Canada who calls it the Cowboy Mass!  God bless, angeltime :heart: