FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I won an argument with a conciliar Catholic by shaming her about religious liberty
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This happened today.  Talking to a fellow Catholic.  When she questioned me about my association with traditionalism, I explained it very matter of factly; in fact, I thought we were just having a pleasant conversation.  The accusatory tone started to bubble to the surface, at which point I said something along these lines:

Quote:I'm a little surprised by what you're saying.  I think everyone has a right to worship in the way they see fit.  It sounds like you're trying to take that right away from me and force me to attend the church that you want me to attend, regardless of my preferences.  Frankly, I'm shocked. *pointing to Muslim across the room* Would you say the same thing to her?  I can't believe you feel you have the right to proselytize like that.  Would you do that to your patients too?  Whatever happen to developing your cultural competency?

Not sure how I feel about myself for spewing such leftist drivel, but I'll tell you one thing: It shut her up and I got some pretty choice apologies.  

Thoughts?  Comments?  Concerns?
I can never tell when your being serious or joking.
(04-02-2018, 07:45 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how I feel about myself for spewing such leftist drivel, but I'll tell you one thing: It shut her up and I got some pretty choice apologies.  

There is nothing wrong with using leftist drivel to point out to leftists just how stupid they are.

(04-02-2018, 07:45 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]This happened today.  Talking to a fellow Catholic.  When she questioned me about my association with traditionalism, I explained it very matter of factly; in fact, I thought we were just having a pleasant conversation.  The accusatory tone started to bubble to the surface, at which point I said something along these lines:

Quote:I'm a little surprised by what you're saying.  I think everyone has a right to worship in the way they see fit.  It sounds like you're trying to take that right away from me and force me to attend the church that you want me to attend, regardless of my preferences.  Frankly, I'm shocked. *pointing to Muslim across the room* Would you say the same thing to her?  I can't believe you feel you have the right to proselytize like that.  Would you do that to your patients too?  Whatever happen to developing your cultural competency?

Not sure how I feel about myself for spewing such leftist drivel, but I'll tell you one thing: It shut her up and I got some pretty choice apologies.  

What about what said was "leftist"?  You sounded like a perfectly reasonable person (which is strange for you).
(04-02-2018, 07:45 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]This happened today.  Talking to a fellow Catholic.  When she questioned me about my association with traditionalism, I explained it very matter of factly; in fact, I thought we were just having a pleasant conversation.  The accusatory tone started to bubble to the surface, at which point I said something along these lines:

Funny that your using liberal points.  Hmmmm, makes one wonder about you.

Next time, try convincing her of the truth, beauty, and goodness of Traditional Catholicism instead of merely trying to "win."
(04-02-2018, 08:08 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]I can never tell when your being serious or joking.

Yeah, me neither.  Post-irony is a hell of a drug.

(04-02-2018, 08:19 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]What about what said was "leftist"?  You sounded like a perfectly reasonable person (which is strange for you).

Just wait and see what I have to say to havok in one second.

(04-02-2018, 09:17 PM)Galahad3 Wrote: [ -> ]Next time, try convincing her of the truth, beauty, and goodness of Traditional Catholicism instead of merely trying to "win."

I, of course, see your point, but I'm very hesitant to move in that direction in a professional setting.  I'm surprised she did in the first place, but I think conciliar Catholicism ingrains a sense of self-righteousness toward traditionalists that made her think it was acceptable for some reason.  Someone who is willing to risk one of the most basic taboos in public behavior like that probably isn't ready to think about the TLM.
OK so it's not just me who thinks it's weird that havok just quoted my post without further comment, right?  Also, take a look at the history of posts he's been "liking" recently.  He is fastidiously marking posts that I make that reference him being a paid shill.  He also likes random posts that are critical toward him.  There's something very bizarre going on.  Either the account is partially run by a bot now, or he's actually lost his mind.
(04-02-2018, 10:19 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]OK so it's not just me who thinks it's weird that havok just quoted my post without further comment, right?  Also, take a look at the history of posts he's been "liking" recently.  He is fastidiously marking posts that I make that reference him being a paid shill.  He also likes random posts that are critical toward him.  There's something very bizarre going on.  Either the account is partially run by a bot now, or he's actually lost his mind.
Defiantly must be a bot.  

Funny though that your using leftist points.  Hmmm, I wonder what that says about you ... LIBERAL!!!
(04-02-2018, 10:19 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: [ -> ]OK so it's not just me who thinks it's weird that havok just quoted my post without further comment, right?  Also, take a look at the history of posts he's been "liking" recently.  He is fastidiously marking posts that I make that reference him being a paid shill.  He also likes random posts that are critical toward him.  There's something very bizarre going on.  Either the account is partially run by a bot now, or he's actually lost his mind.

He did comment, he just inserted his comment into your quote. On accident, I assume.

And re: your response to my earlier comment -- perhaps it would be prudent to quietly suffer any abuse you get from her and offer it (the indignity, let's say) up to Our Lord until the time is ripe for a productive conversation. Or maybe there won't be a ripe time and you'll just have to deal. All I know is that the "haha, gotcha suckers" 'tude is good for laughs but little else. It could even be reinforcing some stereotypes she has against trads. If your colleague is a practicing and faithful N.O. Catholic, just be glad for her that she's in the Fold, however erroneous her views of Trad Catholicism may be.
Pages: 1 2 3 4