FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Stop attending the Novus Ordo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I see many Catholics online argue that it's evil and offensive to God. They have many good points such as it's protestant origins etc. Is it better to stay home?
No, no, no, absolutely not.  Missing mass is a grave sin.  The NO is part of the church and is a licit mass.  To refuse to go because it is not reverent enough for a person is not a reason to not go to mass.   Jesus is present there.  He is there in communion.  To choose not to go reeks of proteatantism.  A person then becomes their own judge about what they interpret what God wants.  Jesus gave us the church, his church and the NO is part of the church.  People may not like the NO.  They may think the EF is way better.  They may wish the NO would just go away.  Although none of that changes that the NO is a licit mass and to not go puts you in grave sin.
Well said, Havok. The Precepts of the Church and the Code of Canon Law, say that attendance at Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation is a grave matter.

Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2042 The first precept (“You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation") requires the faithful to participate in the Eucharistic celebration when the Christian community gathers together on the day commemorating the Resurrection of the Lord.

Code of Canon Law, 1983, Can.  1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.

Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.
Yes. Stop. It’s irreverent. I attended a guitar mass that can only be described as unCatholic. If you want backup on this, read this:
http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/ar...nCanon.pdf
(04-07-2018, 04:25 AM)Julia Augusta Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Stop. It’s irreverent. I attended a guitar mass that can only be described as unCatholic. If you want backup on this, read this:
http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/ar...nCanon.pdf

So, what do you propose Catholics with no Traditional Latin Mass within hours of their home do? Don't get me wrong if there was a TLM within driving distance I would go. Maybe I'll charter an air plane every Sunday. You must be obedient to the the successor of Peter whether you like him or not. I do not agree with PF at all, but for the time being he's what we got. Martin Luther was not obedient to the Holy Father, I will not follow Luther's foot steps. The Holy Spirit will make thing right again. It will be done in God's time not ours.

My local parish has no guitar mass. Our priest does a pretty good job. He works with what he has. I try to be an example during mass in my dress and actions.
Find a reverent NO, at least more reverent than a git-tair Mass, or attend an Eastern Rite church. But do what you can to fulfil your obligation. I agree there are some NO that in all honesty I find it dubious if the priest intends to do as the Church intends and so if it is more-Protestant than many Protestant services, I avoid them like the plague, but there are usually other parishes out there.

If all else fails, see if there is an Eastern Orthodox Mass being held.

In my opinion a typical decent NO (with lame hymns, watered-down homilies, but mostly solid Catholic theology) is in Communion with Rome. The guitar "let's have homo-dancers at the altar" m/ass, is in my opinion an act of apostasy and I avoid those. Some will have terrible rock music, but the priest is sincere in his reverence for Christ and those are the worst, because in my opinion they are still in Communion with Rome and the Mass is valid, despite full of liturgical abuses.
(04-07-2018, 07:30 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Find a reverent NO, at least more reverent than a git-tair Mass, or attend an Eastern Rite church.  But do what you can to fulfil your obligation.  I agree there are some NO that in all honesty I find it dubious if the priest intends to do as the Church intends and so if it is more-Protestant than many Protestant services, I avoid them like the plague, but there are usually other parishes out there.

If all else fails, see if there is an Eastern Orthodox Mass being held.

In my opinion a typical decent NO (with lame hymns, watered-down homilies, but mostly solid Catholic theology) is in Communion with Rome.  The guitar "let's have homo-dancers at the altar" m/ass, is in my opinion an act of apostasy and I avoid those.  Some will have terrible rock music, but the priest is sincere in his reverence for Christ and those are the worst, because in my opinion they are still in Communion with Rome and the Mass is valid, despite full of liturgical abuses.
I attend a Byzantine Catholic Devine Liturgy at least once a month. Although it is quite a drive.
Find one that's at least tolerable. I sometimes have to attend NO especially when I'm visiting my family since the two TLMs in the area are at 3pm. Sometimes it's too late when there's a family function later in the day. As long as the Sacrament is valid, then you do the best you can with the distractions and just remember that you're there to serve God and receive Him in the Eucharist.
(04-07-2018, 07:30 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]If all else fails, see if there is an Eastern Orthodox Mass being held.

Attending an Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy does not fulfill one's obligation.
If you have a Byzantine Catholic parish or Latin Mass nearby then attend those instead. If not, stick with what is local, that is find the NO parish that is the least offensive and trite. As Catholics Sunday is a day of obligation that should not be missed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10