FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question for Eastern Orthodox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question for any Eastern Orthodox on here who are online. I might go to the local Orthodox midnight Divine Liturgy for Pascha just to see what it's like, so what's some advice/what should I know besides the obvious refraining from receiving Holy Communion?
Graves ac Diuturnae
4. We think it is Our duty to repeat this public declaration now and to request you to preserve the unity of faith among your faithful by every possible means in accordance with your eminent zeal and your renowned virtue. For you have given notable examples of this virtue in bearing tribulations for the cause of God. You should remind them to beware of these treacherous enemies of the flock of Christ and their poisoned foods. They should totally shun their religious celebrations, their buildings, and their chairs of pestilence which they have with impunity established to transmit the sacred teachings. They should shun their writings and all contact with them. They should not have any dealings or meetings with usurping priests and apostates from the faith who dare to exercise the duties of an ecclesiastical minister without possessing a legitimate mission or any jurisdiction. They should avoid them as strangers and thieves who come only to steal, slay, and destroy. For the Church’s children should consider the proper action to preserve the most precious treasure of faith, without which it is impossible to please God, as well as action calculated to achieve the goal of faith, that is the salvation of their souls, by following the straight road of justice.
Please tone down the font, it is obnoxious and difficult to read.
I'm not going to quote that big of a quote, so while I agree with it I think it's more directed to attending Protestant meetings, since simply being an observer at a Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy (whether it's Catholic or Orthodox) is not really harmful to your faith since it is a Catholic rite.
Wish we would stop hating on the Orthodox.  They are the original "Trads."  They are apostolic in origin and have the fullness of the faith.  Yes, they are not in communion with Rome but so was/is SSPX.  The Church is Universal.  Rome is the last of the original 5 great Christian centers (Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria) that has persisted.
Note, since VII, the Orthodox are allowed to receive communion in Catholic churches but not the other way around. :(
(04-09-2018, 10:40 AM)meadjodha Wrote: [ -> ]Wish we would stop hating on the Orthodox.  They are the original "Trads."  They are apostolic in origin and have the fullness of the faith.  Yes, they are not in communion with Rome but so was/is SSPX.  The Church is Universal.  Rome is the last of the original 5 great Christian centers (Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria) that has persisted.
Note, since VII, the Orthodox are allowed to receive communion in Catholic churches but not the other way around. :(

Worth reading this by Fr Aidan Nichols OP about this:

http://www.christendom-awake.org/pages/a...hodox.html
(04-08-2018, 01:05 AM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question for any Eastern Orthodox on here who are online. I might go to the local Orthodox midnight Divine Liturgy for Pascha just to see what it's like, so what's some advice/what should I know besides the obvious refraining from receiving Holy Communion?

Some more conservative EO churches have the women sit on the left side and wear head coverings, men on the right.
At the end of the service everyone goes up to kiss the cross in the priest's hand and you can too. You should recite along with the Lord's Prayer and Nicene Creed when you hear it sung.
(04-09-2018, 10:40 AM)meadjodha Wrote: [ -> ]Wish we would stop hating on the Orthodox.  They are the original "Trads."  They are apostolic in origin and have the fullness of the faith.  Yes, they are not in communion with Rome but so was/is SSPX.  The Church is Universal.  Rome is the last of the original 5 great Christian centers (Rome, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, and Alexandria) that has persisted.

Nobody should be 'hating' the Orthodox (they should be praying that they return to the Church), but, no, they don't have the fullness of the faith. They reject the authority of the Pope, which, since Vatican I, makes them heretics as well as schismatics, they reject our Lord's teaching on divorce, and they've also got the procession of the Holy Ghost wrong. The ones with the fullness of the faith are the Eastern Catholics, who are also Roman, in that the Pope is the head of the Church, whether Eastern or Western.

The SSPX, on the other hand, doesn't deny a single doctrine of the faith. They may have been disobedient to the Pope, but disobedience is not the same as schism. Schism means you reject the Pope having any authority. Disobedience doesn't - you recognise him as the leader of the Church on earth, but you disobey.

If someone thinks the Orthodox are right about the Pope, that he's just one more bishop among the others, then I can see why someone would be Orthodox. But for a Catholic, I don't get this love of the Orthodox, especially among trads. Yes, they have a beautiful liturgy, and they've kept their traditions when the West has been discarding its, but that doesn't make them any less heretical than the Protestants. They're not just "eastern SSPX" or something like that.