FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Guitar in Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So are gutairs an abuse in mass since Vatican II.  I know they were before but what about since?  Didn’t Vatican II say something about native country instruments .  I am not in support of gutairs in mass before anyone who says this.  I am just wondering if it’s technically an abuse or now since Vatican II it’s allowed.  Also what about instruments from other countries are allowed.  Finally what instruments are allowed and which ones are not allowed currently in church?
Music and instruments
Found this link on EWTN.
I like a finely played guitar as a lead instrument at Mass. It, like any instrument, can be played with dignity and decorum. An organ or a piano can be played in a manner that is undignified in terms of Liturgical Music, but it also can be beautiful accompaniment with a choir or with the people at Mass.

Andres Segovia played a lovely guitar and many of his pieces were originally intended for the lute and his style certainly would be considered as Mass-appropriate. However, I draw the line with a jazz quartet with drums or a rock guitar rift in Ozzie Osbourne style or even an organ played like Kieth Emerson or piano like Little Richard. Its all about how it is played.

I recall that there have been full orchestra accompaniment to Choirs at Mass in times past, but also, with restraint and with respect.
(04-08-2018, 01:48 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]So are gutairs an abuse in mass since Vatican II.  I know they were before but what about since?  Didn’t Vatican II say something about native country instruments .  I am not in support of gutairs in mass before anyone who says this.  I am just wondering if it’s technically an abuse or now since Vatican II it’s allowed.  Also what about instruments from other countries are allowed.  Finally what instruments are allowed and which ones are not allowed currently in church?

Indigenous music is allowed but the preferred music is Gregorian Plain Chant.
(04-08-2018, 01:48 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]So are gutairs an abuse in mass since Vatican II.  I know they were before but what about since?  Didn’t Vatican II say something about native country instruments .  I am not in support of gutairs in mass before anyone who says this.  I am just wondering if it’s technically an abuse or now since Vatican II it’s allowed.  Also what about instruments from other countries are allowed.  Finally what instruments are allowed and which ones are not allowed currently in church?

It isn't the instrument, it is the music.
Holy, reverent, beautiful, yes.
Hand clapping, foot stomping, no.
Silent Night was written by Fr Josef Mohr to be sung to guitar accompaniment composed by  Franz Gruber. There is a story, possibly apocryphal, that the organ in the Parish Church was broken and couldn't be used for Midnight Mass. However, it may be that Gruber just wanted to play his guitar, since it seems it was his favourite instrument.