FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Changing seats on the Titanic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may just be changing seats on the Titanic, but I've made a decision today. I am going to strictly attend a Byzantine Catholic Devine Liturgy from now on. It's about 50 minutes away, but I can't take the NO any more. Improper dress, lack of respect, terriable music, loud conversations before and after mass, alter girls, Extraordinary ministers and poor homilies. This parish is my current parish and it's less than a mile away, so if there is a snow storm I'll have a place to go. I may attend daily mass since it doesn't have all the extra nonsense. There is a TLM but it is over an hour away and Mass is at 2pm on Sundays. 2pm is a bad time when you have grandkids playing soccer on Sundays.

So we'll see how it goes. I'm not gonna announce anything, I'm just gonna go. The people at the Byzantine Church know me because I attend there once a month. They have a great priest. They have always made me feel welcome. I'm going to have to learn some new traditions, but it won't be hard as my grandmother was Ukrainian Greek Catholic.
Today I was traveling so we stopped at a church along way that offers TLMs on Sunday evening (for a morning NO). The music was respectful, the choir sang the propers/antiphons (certainly a first that I can recall), the priest used the Canon, they had confessions during Mass, and no EoMHCs. I was quite impressed.

Anyway, if that church that offers TLM has an NO at a better time, they often can do the NO in a much more reverent manner compared to other places. Just a thought.
(04-08-2018, 09:05 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Today I was traveling so we stopped at a church along way that offers TLMs on Sunday evening (for a morning NO). The music was respectful, the choir sang the propers/antiphons (certainly a first that I can recall), the priest used the Canon, they had confessions during Mass, and no EoMHCs. I was quite impressed.

Anyway, if that church that offers TLM has an NO at a better time, they often can do the NO in a much more reverent manner compared to other places. Just a thought.

Well, from my experience with diocesan TLMs, they have been offered by a different priest than those of the parish in which it is offered. But maybe that's just my area.
Going to a Ukrainian Catholic church is a good choice. I know lot's of people at two different Ukrainian Catholic parishes in my general area, and it's not uncommon to run into other Latin Massers there when weather is very bad.
It's important to remember that whatever the Rite of Mass, one of the biggest problems today is the warped theology which one has to protect oneself from.

The East being less centralized does have pockets of more traditional things, but often you will find a very traditional Liturgy, with the same heretical preaching you get from Fr Bob at St Martin (Luther King)'s Roman Catholic Inclusive Community.

Be careful that you're not just looking for traditional trappings, and strain the liberal gnats, yet swallow the liberal camel.
(04-09-2018, 03:25 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]It's important to remember that whatever the Rite of Mass, one of the biggest problems today is the warped theology which one has to protect oneself from.

The East being less centralized does have pockets of more traditional things, but often you will find a very traditional Liturgy, with the same heretical preaching you get from Fr Bob at St Martin (Luther King)'s Roman Catholic Inclusive Community.

Be careful that you're not just looking for traditional trappings, and strain the liberal gnats, yet swallow the liberal camel.

Very true, however I find there's much less danger in the Eastern Churches for a warped theology.

I believe the reason for this is the fact that the liturgy is theology par excellence. The faithful are taught much more through the rite itself, in its texts, gestures, and manner of celebrating, than through formal preaching.