FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is it okay to say "get behind me Satan?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a habit of saying "get behind me Satan!" or "Get out Satan!" whenever I have a bad thought. I'm currently listening to a radio interview with Fr. Chad Ripperger, and he says that a lay person is not allowed to say the name of a demon when doing binding prayers, would saying "get behind me Satan," be considered saying the name of a demon and therefor, not allowed by lay people?
(04-17-2018, 04:13 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I have a habit of saying "get behind me Satan!" or "Get out Satan!" whenever I have a bad thought. I'm currently listening to a radio interview with Fr. Chad Ripperger, and he says that a lay person is not allowed to say the name of a demon when doing binding prayers, would saying "get behind me Satan," be considered saying the name of a demon and therefor, not allowed by lay people?
Peace.....I have been taught that we do not speak directly to the legions or Satan.  Better to speak to God and ask Him to intercede for us.  God bless, angeltime :heart:  *St Michael's Prayer....
So are we not supposed to pray or say outloud the St. Benedict prayer ("Vade retro Satana" etc), because I do say it at home.

I swear I keep reading all these odd things on FE and other "traditionalist" forums are that almost seem way too scrupulous or legalistic.
(04-17-2018, 08:49 PM)Sequentia Wrote: [ -> ]So are we not supposed to pray or say outloud the St. Benedict prayer ("Vade retro Satana" etc), because I do say it at home.

I swear I keep reading all these odd things on FE and other "traditionalist" forums are that almost seem way too scrupulous or legalistic.
Peace.....there "may" be a difference in that the prayer you are using on the medal is considered a "minor exorcism" prayer - whereas we are not to speak to the legions or Satan during an Exorcism of a possessed person.  I wear a St Anthony Brief/Scapular which has a prayer in latin and english on it also - "Behold the Cross of the Lord!  Begone Hostile Enemies!  The Lord of Juda, The Offspring of David Has Triumphed.  Alleluiah!  Alleluiah!  These I believe are considered as I said to be "minor" exorcism prayers and not direct communication with the enemies as in a possessed person.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
Have no idea what your talking about. I say "Get behind me, Satan!" and presto, my boss is behind me instantly. Works like a charm.

In all serious, no. You're fine. Think of it like this. If you couldn't say the devil's name, can't read the Bible aloud, eh? Also, I am pretty sure I heard Fr. Ripperger mention that we cannot use the names of demons NOT mentioned in Sacred Scripture.

To second what Sequentia said, I think you are being overly scrupulous.