FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What books would you recommend to a new convert?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just wondering what books you would recommend to a new convert to get them formed in the authentic Catholic Faith? (in addition to the Bible and the Catechism)

I heard someone mention the Catechism of the Council Trent, what would you recommend? I personally would, (and sort of, had twice with new catechumens at my liberal parish, keep them in your prayers if you can) recommend St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion to Mary and 33 Days to Morning Glory (because it makes this devotion easier to understand, though it may leave out a few things) as way to encourage Marian Consecration and help raise up new Saints.

What do you think?
Introduction to the Devout Life, by St Francis de Sales. Actually, I wouldn't recommend True Devotion to a new convert unless he had already expressed an interest in learning about devotion to the Blessed Mother. I've known well formed Catholics to be turned off by his flowery language regarding her. The Secret of the Rosary would be better in my opinion.
i like Bob Sungenis books. He wrote a book that explained the Eucharist from Scripture, wish i could recall the name? Not By Bread Alone, i think was the name

But then, not all converts have a vocabulary that is conducive to reading that kind of book
Any book written by a Saint or any book written prior to 1955 A.D.
(04-20-2018, 03:44 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just wondering what books you would recommend to a new convert to get them formed in the authentic Catholic Faith? (in addition to the Bible and the Catechism)

I heard someone mention the Catechism of the Council Trent, what would you recommend? I personally would, (and sort of, had twice with new catechumens at my liberal parish, keep them in your prayers if you can) recommend St. Louis de Montfort's True Devotion to Mary and 33 Days to Morning Glory (because it makes this devotion easier to understand, though it may leave out a few things) as way to encourage Marian Consecration and help raise up new Saints.

What do you think?

I found a small book of selected writings of the Early Church Fathers to be very helpful.  It was called "the writings of The Early Church Fathers".  Slim volume but helped me shore up against Protestant concerns - you know, the Church disappeared after the death of the Apostles, that belief is a very modern one, the Bible doesn't say that, etc......
(04-20-2018, 03:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Introduction to the Devout Life, by St Francis de Sales. Actually, I wouldn't recommend True Devotion to a new convert unless he had already expressed an interest in learning about devotion to the Blessed Mother. I've known well formed Catholics to be turned off by his flowery language regarding her. The Secret of the Rosary would be better in my opinion.
Seconded. St Louis is amazing but that's a bit too intense for someone who isn't firmly rooted in Marian devotion. Perhaps Scott Hahn's "Hail Holy Queen" which explains the biblical basis for Marian devotion, Hahn Himself being a convert.
(04-20-2018, 03:44 PM)I like the book, “My Daily Bread.” Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/my-daily-bread.html
These are the books I read (in order) which took me from the Occult & Sufism to Catholicism in a period of oh...14 months or so:
1. True Devotion to Mary - St. Louis de Montfort
2. Story of a Soul - St. Therese of Lisieux
3. Way of Perfection - St. Teresa of Avila
4. Autobiography - St. Teresa of Avila
5. Interior Castle - St. Teresa of Avila
6. Dark Night of the Soul - St. John of the Cross
7. Imitation of Christ - Thomas A. Kempis
8. Introduction to the Devout Life - St. Francis de Sales

These, combined with daily Mass and good private instruction (as opposed to group RCIA) were incredibly helpful. I was seriously blessed by getting to know my priest.

Edit:

Oh! I'd also add:
- A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin - John F. Collins (and the workbook)
- The Incredible Catholic Mass - Fr. Martin von Cochem

Edit Edit:

Thinking about it, however, I'd recommend a new Catholic who IS NOT coming from occultism do them in the reverse order. Marian devotion - with a good priest to guide one to correct misconceptions common to those involved in pagan/occult religions - is a very good place to start; however, there is a lot of possibility for misunderstanding what is going on (eg. one starts to worship Mary instead of seeking intercessions) if there is not a good priest to guide them. (I promise...I'm done editing now LOL)
Anything by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange.
(04-21-2018, 09:04 PM)IntoTheMystic Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking about it, however, I'd recommend a new Catholic who IS NOT coming from occultism do them in the reverse order. Marian devotion - with a good priest to guide one to correct misconceptions common to those involved in pagan/occult religions - is a very good place to start; however, there is a lot of possibility for misunderstanding what is going on (eg. one starts to worship Mary instead of seeking intercessions) if there is not a good priest to guide them. (I promise...I'm done editing now LOL)

I agree, and that's why I recommended Introduction to the Devout Life and suggested not giving True Devotion to a new convert.
Pages: 1 2